Is it time to think massive long term extension for Christian Benford?

Royale with Cheese

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

You cannot re sign every single player... The NFL with the salary cap leaves cap casualties 

The Chiefs have a lot of decisions to make in the next two three years with regard to their roster... Do they resign guys like Bolton and karlaftis and give Creed Humphrey the most money in the NFL for a center 

Or do they re sign their cornerbacks 

You can't pay everybody

They can "cheat" on not paying CBs as much with their D line and Chris Jones.

have to think this is Travis Kelce's last year so that is one last vet to pay.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

They can "cheat" on not paying CBs as much with their D line and Chris Jones.

have to think this is Travis Kelce's last year so that is one last vet to pay.

The bills outside of Tre white have been getting by with cheap cornerbacks too 

Because our front seven consistently puts quarterbacks in bad spots for years 

Resigning Greg R is way more important than any corner

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the way he's playing, we're looking at towards the higher ends of CB's contracts.  He is in year 3 so I think we could see something before next season if he continues.

Spencer Brown signed his extension right before his 4th year.

Benford has been good since his rookie year and is just getting better.

@GunnerBill....what are your thoughts?

He’s not eligible for an extension until after the league year ends. I’d certainly do it then. I haven’t looked at numbers but CB contracts took a downward turn last offseason due to more shell coverages being played. Teams don’t want to pay top of market for a man to man cover CB only to put him in zone the majority of the time. So I say pay the man his worth consistent with the zone CB market. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

The bills outside of Trey white have been getting by with cheap cornerbacks too 

Because our front seven consistently puts quarterbacks in bad spots for years 

Resigning Greg Russo is way more important than any corner

I never understood the tre White massive extension.   Great teammate, funny as heck.   I dont recall what his injury history was when he was resigned but he was getting older and hasn't done anything in two years.  I wonder if White would even make this team this year.  He is a sad shell of what he was.

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never understood the tre White massive extension.   Great teammate, funny as heck.   I dont recall what his injury history was when he was resigned but he was getting older and hasn't done anything in two years.  I wonder if White would even make this team this year.  He is a sad shell of what he was.

This year? After tearing an Achilles? And ACL prior?

He would definitely be behind benford and Douglas on the outside 

In the right scheme he could be a rotational guy for maybe 1-2 more years but he can't run across the field in man anymore and lost his burst which made him an all pro because he had the best closing speed in football 

That's all gone 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Cheaper? WTF are you talking about? LOL! Beane gives everyone top dollar all the time!

Spencer Brown didn't get top dollar. Ed Oliver didn't get top dollar. Milano signed for cheaper than everyone thought he would. Hyde and Poyer always had fairly affordable contracts.

I disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If he’s $17M+ like another posted, that’s more than I think this team should be willing to spend on him.  Yes he’s been really good, but this regime seems to have a knack for find and replace in the defensive secondary.  Spend that money elsewhere.

Part of me agrees. But Benford is the perfect corner for the scheme. Not only is he great in zone coverage, but he is also physical, tackles well, plays the run well, and is always attacking the ball. He is the complete package, and that's why I think the Bills will consider extending him. They haven't had another corner who did all of that well. Tre White, while elite in his prime, was a poor tackler and terrible in run support. Benford has a case to be considered the best defensive player on the team.

What a steal in the 6th round...

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He’s not eligible for an extension until after the league year ends. I’d certainly do it then. I haven’t looked at numbers but CB contracts took a downward turn last offseason due to more shell coverages being played. Teams don’t want to pay top of market for a man to man cover CB only to put him in zone the majority of the time. So I say pay the man his worth consistent with the zone CB market. 

Exactly.