Is it time to think massive long term extension for Christian Benford?

Royale with Cheese

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Would be really nice.

I've read that CB and Douglas have become close friends. It would be great if we could somehow keep both, but I doubt we have the cap space.

If he’s $17M+ like another posted, that’s more than I think this team should be willing to spend on him.  Yes he’s been really good, but this regime seems to have a knack for find and replace in the defensive secondary.  Spend that money elsewhere.

Edited by strive_for_five_guy
  • Like (+1) 1

The Benford situation highlights what is becoming a good problem for the Bills...extending all their promising young players.  We've already extended Spencer Brown, and Rousseau is up next.  Then we've got Benford, then Terrel Bernard, then Kalil Shakir, James Cook, etc.  There are a lot of hard decisions coming because you can't sign everyone, no matter how good they are.  The Bills are going to have to prioiritize certain positions, let some of these guys walk, and hope they keep hitting on draft picks.   

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

Beane has proven that he knows well it’s cheaper if you do it sooner. The player is eager to get a big pay day so settles a bit, while the market is only going to go up. It’s how Beane usually rolls. 

Cheaper? WTF are you talking about? LOL! Beane gives everyone top dollar all the time!

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

It's an absolute given that he gets a new contract this off-season

This is EXACTLY the kind of player that you should give a second contract to

And if it's top of market based on performance, then you deal with it

I imagine Benford and Rousseau will

both get big extensions as they should. Bernard too?

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I agree that Benford has been amazing. But I wonder if this is a position we ever plan to pay.  I think we are seeing a shift in our cap distribution.  

I would love to see him locked up for years to come 

I think that we're probably going to pay Benford vs paying for a top $$ WR

Shakir is going to get his 2nd contract too - but just not for the crazy top of market $$ that these #1 WR's are getting these days

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Benford situation highlights what is becoming a good problem for the Bills...extending all their promising young players.  We've already extended Spencer Brown, and Rousseau is up next.  Then we've got Benford, then Terrel Bernard, then Shakir Kalid, James Cook, etc.  There are a lot of hard decisions coming because you can't sign everyone, no matter how good they are.  The Bills are going to have to prioiritize certain positions, let some of these guys walk, and hope they keep hitting on draft picks.   

I think Cook may be someone they let walk. 

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Benford situation highlights what is becoming a good problem for the Bills...extending all their promising young players.  We've already extended Spencer Brown, and Rousseau is up next.  Then we've got Benford, then Terrel Bernard, then Shakir Kalid, James Cook, etc.  There are a lot of hard decisions coming because you can't sign everyone, no matter how good they are.  The Bills are going to have to prioiritize certain positions, let some of these guys walk, and hope they keep hitting on draft picks.   

Boy our timing on Spencer Brown extension was epic, people are really starting to notice him..

As for Cook, we all know the story of extending RBs and Buffalo penchant for drafting Rbs in the 2-4 rnd, we have barely scratched the surface of Ray Davis.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If he’s $17M+ like another posted, that’s more than I think this team should be willing to spend on him.  Yes he’s been really good, but this regime seems to have a knack for find and replace in the defensive secondary.  Spend that money elsewhere.

Not outside CBs though…. He’s really good and really tough and really young. You have to sign him (if we can) we have so much dead money, iDK if we have it….

7 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that we're probably going to pay Benford vs paying for a top $$ WR

Shakir is going to get his 2nd contract too - but just not for the crazy top of market $$ that these #1 WR's are getting these days

We have to draft a WR….

23 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Trade Elim for a pick and give him his money.  Not sure why Bills want to pay that much for a CB again with a CB Whisperer as head coach unless our DB Expert from Alabama agrees.

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I love benford. He was my favorite draft pick on draft day. 

that said, this regime does well at finding and coaching up low-cost and low pick CBs (Levi, Dane, now Benford). I sort of wonder whether they will throw a lot of money at Benford (or any corner).

They made Tre White a top 5 paid CB.

Benford will get paid by the Bills after the season if he stays relatively healthy.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Meaning the class of the league decided to let two consecutive quality corners in Ward and Sneed walk

You cannot re sign every single player... The NFL with the salary cap leaves cap casualties 

The Chiefs have a lot of decisions to make in the next two three years with regard to their roster... Do they resign guys like Bolton and karlaftis and just gave Creed Humphrey the most money in the NFL for a center ... Re signing those cornerbacks would make it hard for those other 3

Or do they re sign their cornerbacks 

You can't pay everybody

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I imagine Benford and Rousseau will

both get big extensions as they should. Bernard too?

It’s a great problem to have. You draft hoping that one day they will pan out and you have to make the tough decisions. Know which positions are priorities, and just keep drafting a RB every couple years.