Is it time to think massive long term extension for Christian Benford?

Royale with Cheese

I think the way he's playing, we're looking at towards the higher ends of CB's contracts.  He is in year 3 so I think we could see something before next season if he continues.

Spencer Brown signed his extension right before his 4th year.

Benford has been good since his rookie year and is just getting better.

@GunnerBill....what are your thoughts?

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i'll give you a massive extension...

You filthy man you, 

• Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, teef said:

i'll give you a massive extension...

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Beane has proven that he knows well it’s cheaper if you do it sooner. The player is eager to get a big pay day so settles a bit, while the market is only going to go up. It’s how Beane usually rolls. 

That's why I brought it up.  Could we see it this season?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure he'll be quite as expensive as people think because he is still purely a zone corner IMO. Teams don't value that as much. But he's a perfect fit for our defense so I would absolutely pay him a market value long term extension as soon as the season ends.

I heard today he has a 14.6 passer rating on throws against his coverage this year. As a point of reference, Nate Peterman's passer rating in that one game (you know the one) was 17.9.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

CB used to be part of the “big 4” highest paid positions (QB, LT, DE, CB) now it’s the big 5, but luckily CB1 money isn’t nearly as debilitating as WR1 money. The top paid WR makes $35M/yr. The highest paid CB makes, what? $22M/yr? Benford is a definite re-sign.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brand J said:

CB used to be part of the “big 4” highest paid positions (QB, LT, DE, CB) now it’s the big 5, but luckily CB1 money isn’t nearly as debilitating as WR1 money. The top paid WR makes $35M/yr. The highest paid CB makes, what? $22M/yr? Benford is a definite re-sign.

Ramsey and Surtain are making $24 million per year now.

• Thank you (+1) 1