A Few Thoughts about the Jaguars Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

What no love for the D-Line?  Seriously?  Even Casey Toohill had a sack.  

They are the key to this defense.  Don't want to expose the young LBs, better successfully pressure the QB.  Don't want QB scrambles, the D-line had been containing them. Stop the run game, the D-line better fill the gaps.  All this has been happening.  

The Bills have allowed 1 rushing TD so far.  Von and Groot have 3 sacks each and 5 guys have 1 each.  Groot has 11 tackles.  

Ed Oliver had a very quiet day.  

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

My mantra.  "It's only week 3.  It's only week 3.  It's only week 3."

This is where I am.  People tend to focus on Elam as a 1st round bust.  But what if (work with me here) Elam can actually play at a decent level....and Benford is keeping him on the bench because he started out better and is on his way to genuinely elite?

"Man, I never thought I'd see the day that the Bills and their fans got excited about Brady."

I think that Hollins is just happy to be starting on offense, and not relegated to ST.  

Shakir had 6 targets for 72 yards Monday night.

Here's one I didn't notice before.  Shakir is...perfect?  I haven't been able to verify the targets on official NFL stats, but pro-football-reference has him at 14 targets, for 14 receptions and 168 yds. (For what it's worth, that's 4 more yards than Stefon Diggs has to date, but his came on 24 targets.)

MVS might like to be fed more, but he's had 5 targets and has only caught 2 of them.  The answer to him is simple if he beefs: want more yards? catch more balls.

I think Josh will keep finding Kincaid more and more often, because Man! does Kincaid look smooth when he catches the ball.  

MVS got open for two deep passes and Josh overthrew him.   The 2 for 5 is most certainly not MVS’s blame.

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

The only thing I'll say in defense of MVS is that two of those throws were deep shots that were off the mark, for one reason or another.  It's only a matter of time before one hits.  We also seemed to use MVS over the middle this past game, so I think his role is still being ironed out

Didn’t see this.  Yep

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Josh - Remember turnover Josh?  Remember sugar high Josh?  Yeah, neither do I.  I can't remember a season where Josh has looked this accurate, calm, but also terrifying all at once.  When we get to 4th and short, he doesn't even look at the sideline anymore because we are simply going for it.  The wheel route throws, the slants in stride, everything Josh threw seemed to be exactly where it needed to be.  And yes, he even slid on every run. Yes, it's only week 3, but this feels different.  This feels like a MVP Josh year.  The only negative thought in my head, and not about Josh as much as the entire team, is that we've been here before on some level and the only thing that matters is playoff wins.  

Anyone besides me remember the year the Bills opened up 5-0 and Trent Edwards was being touted as MVP?

• Angry 1

50 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Anyone besides me remember the year the Bills opened up 5-0 and Trent Edwards was being touted as MVP?

Not to be a D Bag, but it was 4-0, then 5-1.

But yes, optimism was pretty crazy & then after San Diego 2-8 pfft.......

P.S. @Virgil

Appreciate your write ups as always! 

• Like (+1) 2

8 - O Line

Jax has 3 high picks on their D line.

Travon Walker #1 overall in 2022

the other Josh Allen - name changed

Aric Armstead - big FA signing

How many sacks or pressures did these $$$ guys have vs Bills?     No sacks, maybe a few pressures, eh?

• Like (+1) 1

Good writeup.  The Jaguars game could not have gone better for the Bills.

Point 10 is the key for me.  These next 3 games will go a long way towards defining the season.  Three big games against good teams.  Each team can and has been beaten already, but it probably won't be easy on the road.  I think the defense should be able to get some stops this week, we just need the quality offensive game plans and terrific execution from Allen to continue.

• Like (+1) 1

Echoing some things from the OP.

Josh and the offense hitting on all cylinders the first drive really put the jags on their heels. They had to respect everyone on the field, and not just target one or two.  Brady did a great job using motion to find the openings and Josh took them. He was in sync with th guys on pretty much every pass, except a long pass down the right to Hollins.

Shakir. Guy had a great game. The one pass to the right where he just got pushed out of bounds, could have been a TD. He had an open field ahead of him. Had a few great catch and runs, and a spectacular TD. Definitely WR1 right now.

Loved how smooth Coleman looked on his TD.  Looked the ball in, and continued up field. Did a great job getting open and had some back end speed to get away from the defender.  Looking forward to more from him.

Dorian Williams and Spector had great games.  Williams played lights out and looks smooth and natural out there. Has really done a great job as a starter.  Had serious concerns about this duo, but feel much better now.  

MVS. The misses were not all his fault.  Josh did overthrow one, and into coverage on another. Which is all fine. Stretching the field is very important to opening the run game underneath/quick hits that we ate on all night. We had a tough time last season with a compressed field because the defense wasn’t worried about over the top plays.  These two will connect soon enough.

Josh had a great game seeing the openings and getting it done. Looked free out there. Loved the smile on his face during the game.  Watched a few plays where he could have tried for a longer play, but opted for the shorter.  Once or twice looked like he was going to run, but hit the outlet guy and gained yards. Had a great game keeping within the system.

Let James Cook!  And they did! I love this guy. Always seems to get a few yards when you think he is done. Showed some terrific burst on a few runs, and nimble feet in a few others. Had a great game.

Gotta give a shout out to Brady again.  Called a great game and this offense was prepared for the jags defense. Had a great game plan.

We had left the game at halftime because my back was jacked up. Missed the Mr. Brightside sing along.  Love how much these guys love each other! Watching them sing and dance together was great! Shows how deep of a TEAM they are!

Great game. Atmosphere was amazing! Reminded me of the playoff win against the patsies. Drive after drive for TD’s.  

• Like (+1) 2