Devin Singletary and fumbling

dave mcbride

He now has 16 going back to 2023, and his fumble against the Commanders game quite possibly cost them the game. His fumble vs Cleveland this week while the Giants were moving the ball also let Cleveland get right back into it. Seems like a problem!

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/devin-singletary-focused-on-ball-handling-after-two-lost-fumbles

Singletary is fourth in RB fumbles going back to 2019, and the only people who have more are Melvin Gordon (a devout fumbler), Dalvin Cook, and Austin Ekeler. 

Singletary - 16 fumbles on 1,114 touches going back to 2019.

Ekeler - 18 on 1,233 touches

Cook - 18 on 1,225 touches

Gordon - 17 on 826 touches 

James Cook has 5 on 440 touches, which ain't great (although zero this season so far on 49 touches). Latavius Murray, on the other hand, had 4 on 1,157 touches going back to 2017. It's likely why he was able to hang around for so long. RBs with a fumbling rep are an endangered species in the NFL. McCaffrey has 12 on 1,803 touches. Derrick Henry has 17 on 2,243 touches. Saquon has only 6 on 1,562 touches. 

Anyway, 16 on 1,114 touches is a lot.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

dunce trifecta

Not sure I'm reading you correctly, but this is a good NFL board as well as being a good Bills board. If you're not interested in other teams or how former Bills are faring, why post in or even read such threads?  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Whatevs, dude. This is a good NFL board as well as being a good Bills board. If you're not interested in other teams or how former Bills are faring, why do you post in or even read such threads?  

settle down.  I was kidding (not about the Daboll/Shoen combo).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Now I see! My bad. I do like following how former Bills fare. McDermott rightly hates fumbling by RBs, and Singletary had 13 in his years here -- which is too many. Running plays are supposed to be safe plays and you do them in part because you're far less likely to turn the ball over despite gaining on average close to 3 yards less per play than if you pass (assuming the team has a decent qb).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not sure I'm reading you correctly, but this is a good NFL board as well as being a good Bills board. If you're not interested in other teams or how former Bills are faring, why post in or even read such threads?  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thought it was funny

One of the most impressive things about Singletary,,, I've always liked him, is that he is durable.  The guy has taken so many hits as a RB and do you ever see him get up grabbing his ankle or knee? or his hamstring?  He's almost never on the injury report.  That is outstanding in my book.

Just now, zow2 said:

One of the most impressive things about Singletary,,, I've always liked him, is that he is durable.  The guy has taken so many hits as a RB and do you ever see him get up grabbing his ankle or knee? or his hamstring?  He's almost never on the injury report.  That is outstanding in my book.

He's a pretty good player. But the fumbling is a real issue. You can accept QBs fumbling and throwing INTs because the risk/reward ratio is so different in the passing game, but when a rusher is averaging 4+ yards per play, you need to be almost completely turnover free for it to work given the low reward in terms of yardage.  Allen, for instance, is averaging 8.7 net yards per passing attempt so far this year.

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He now has 16 going back to 2023, and his fumble against the Commanders game quite possibly cost them the game. His fumble vs Cleveland this week while the Giants were moving the ball also let Cleveland get right back into it. Seems like a problem!

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/devin-singletary-focused-on-ball-handling-after-two-lost-fumbles

Singletary is fourth in RB fumbles going back to 2019, and the only people who have more are Melvin Gordon (a devout fumbler), Dalvin Cook, and Austin Ekeler. 

James Cook has 5 on 440 touches, which ain't great (although zero this season so far on 49 touches). Latavius Murray, on the other hand, had 4 on 1,157 touches going back to 2017. It's likely why he was able to hang around for so long. RBs with a fumbling rep are an endangered species in the NFL. McCaffrey has 12 on 1,803 touches. Derrick Henry has 17 on 2,243 touches. Saquon has only 6 on 1,562 touches. 

qX0Sw4.gif

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/devin-singletary

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Cook has weird mental lapses between drops and fumbles.  The drop wasn't... game changing this week?  But a mistake nevertheless.  

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's a pretty good player. But the fumbling is a real issue. You can accept QBs fumbling and throwing INTs because the risk/reward ratio is so different in the passing game, but when a rusher is averaging 4+ yards per play, you need to be almost completely turnover free for it to work given the low reward in terms of yardage.  Allen, for instance, is averaging 8.7 net yards per passing attempt so far this year.

It's not always on the RB, as players are constantly trying to punch the ball out and create plays. The way i see it is that if a RB legitimately fumbles the ball of his own accord, then that fumbelina is on him, however, if someone punches it out, how can that be on the RB?.......it's the same as INT's. If a QB throws an errant pass and it gets intercepted, then it's on the QB, however, if a WR doesn't make a play on the pass or bobbles the ball and it gets picked off, then it's.......on.......the......QB.......ok, never mind.

9 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Are these stats fumbles or lost fumbles?

All fumbles. What happens when a ball is fumbled is totally random and impossible to predict, so the best thing is to never fumble at all. I wouldn't count on the luck of the bounce if I were a head coach. I'd want a guy who didn't fumble at all.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I just don't have much recollection of being worried everytime Singletary touched the ball with the Buffalo Bills.  Maybe i was in denial.   But it sure sounds like his last couple games have been brutal for fumbles and maybe during his tenure in Houston? I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fumbles. What happens when a ball is fumbled is totally random and impossible to predict, so the best thing is to never fumble at all. I wouldn't count on the luck of the bounce if I were a head coach. I'd want a guy who didn't fumble at all.

Agree with this. But I'm surprised Cook only has 4. Thought for sure it was more than that.

Fumbled on his first ever carry. Also had one against Dallas last year. Surprised there's only two more.

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

All fumbles. What happens when a ball is fumbled is totally random and impossible to predict, so the best thing is to never fumble at all. I wouldn't count on the luck of the bounce if I were a head coach. I'd want a guy who didn't fumble at all.

We're in violent agreement here.  As much as I love Motor, I wasn't aware that he fumbled that often.

• Like (+1) 1