Buffalo Bills: Elite early season team, year after year

Logic

In September, we're going to the Superbowl!!!........October and November rolls around and it's Fire Everybody!!!.......in December were just trying to hold onto a Playoff spot and in January, KC is our daddy.

Set your watch by it.

In 2023, other than the inexplicable week 1 loss to the Jets, the Bills reeled off 3 straight out-scoring our opponents (LV, @Wash, Mia) 123-33 to start the season 3-1.

Our first three wins this year (AZ, @ Mia, Jax) 112-48.  

Why it's different this time!  Joe Brady!

Bills are 10-2 since Brady became the OC.  The two losses were by 3 points each.  In that period we have outscored our opponents 356-219.  That's nearly 30 points per game.  

In his 9 games as OC last year (before he could fully implement his system) we averaged 27 points per game.  This year we are averaging 37 points per game and  have called off the dogs in the second half of the last 2 games scoring only 20 points total in the 2nd half of those games.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rusty shackleford said:

The week 1 losses to the Jets last year and the Steelers 3 years ago just stick in memory and sting a lot. 

Yes, this kind of torpedo the OP main thesis the Bills start out hot.

We are trying to create some pattern to fit our own specific narrative, frankly it is a waste of time and energy imo.

They are also routinely hot at the end of the season, not sure what the tweet is getting at.....yes they dont beat the Chiefs and win the SB, I am aware of that.  But two of the last three seasons they really peaked headed into the playoffs, the other one was the Damar Hamlin year where the team had a bunch of outside things going on.   Somone should tell this guy they ended those seasons at the top too, not just at the beginning.  Their trouble typically comes mid season though....

All this eye candy and point differential is for entertainment purposes only.  It's fun now.  I'd rather they have the ability to do this than not.  But let's be real, it ceases to be entertainment in January, it becomes a mission for Bills fans...and they have failed on previous missions against KC and Cinci.   With a QB like Josh Allen and the team we have here, it would be criminal to not at least get to a Super Bowl.  McDermott needs to get this right in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

In September, we're going to the Superbowl!!!........October and November rolls around and it's Fire Everybody!!!.......in December were just trying to hold onto a Playoff spot and in January, KC is our daddy.

Set your watch by it.

Don't forget the "Bills can't win close games" (circa 2022-2023) and "Bills can't put together a multi game win streak" (circa 2021) narratives.

I wonder what this year's will be.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I remember when we were the "best team in the NFL" when we beat Miami last year in week 4. I just don't understand what happened when they came back from London last year. Losing that single game should not have derailed things so badly. 

Uh, injuries?

With all the roster turnover, I didn’t expect to look so good. Especially with the change of offensive system and oline changes. Usually takes time for linemen to gel. 

let’s just hope we break the chain of having mid season slump. Obviously we will lose games but I just hope we don’t have a string of loses to teams we should beat. 

what they accomplished at the end of last year with all those wins was incredible and unlikely. And it’s still continuing!

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

But we have injuries now, and the team is playing through them. There was a 180-degree attitude shift after that London game. Remember all the "players-only meetings?"

Just addressing why there was such a shift last year. This year we probably just have better depth to deal with injuries at key positions.

I think this might be the best offensive line Josh has ever had - time will tell. It allows us to run the ball, run screens, let routes develop, etc. I’m not sure anyone can stop us (besides ourselves)…..maybe slow us down. 

The big test team wise which everyone is discussing, is stopping the run against the Ravens. We do that and I believe we are a pretty complete team. 

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

^ Reason 1 why i never get excited about this team. Because when it all matters, they fold like cheap suits

Damn dude, you are scorned for sure.

Why do you come to this teams message board if they don't excite you at all? 

You know what I don't get excited about?  The WNBA and I assure you, I don't go on the Atlanta Dream's message board just to talk negatively about them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Damn dude, you are scorned for sure.

Why do you come to this teams message board if they don't excite you at all? 

You know what I don't get excited about?  The WNBA and I assure you, I don't go on the Atlanta Dream's message board just to talk negatively about them.

i've contemplated just running a poll about how i react to any situation just to be sure i don't stray from the TSW Approved thought parameters (tm)

Just to be sure i don't offend anyone you know

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Deja Vu all over again...

Its easy to compare this year's hot start to the 2022 season in which we looked unstoppable while dismantling the defending super bowl champs and then throttling the Titans before struggling rapidly falling back down to earth.  Weeks 1 through 3 are basically extensions of the preseason now so better prepared teams tend to clean up in the early part of the season before the tape is out there and we really figure out who is who.  I expect we will be playing much more closely contended games soon.

Unlike the past two years, where defenses adjusted to our passing attack and Dorsey's answer was to win one-on-one matchups or run our franchise to QB into the teeth of a defense, I think this team has a scheme and the personnel to exploit whatever a defense is willing to give us and a QB that is willing to kill you by a thousand paper cuts.  It will get harder but I don't think this squad will spend 5 weeks looking absolutely lost, searching for an identity.  We have already had a significant shock to the defense with injuries and a week 1 injury to the QB which i suspect is more serious than reported and this team has looked nothing but poised.