Sedrick VGP play ???

This team has so much trust from me on player development right now that I dont even care.  I just assume hell get it sorted if it didnt look good.  Just insane how they have been able to grow so many players that when we need them its hardly a drop off.

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Sedrick VGP play ???
9 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

This team has so much trust from me on player development right now that I dont even care.  I just assume hell get it sorted if it didnt look good.  Just insane how they have been able to grow so many players that when we need them its hardly a drop off.

Yeah. This season and seeing all these young guys contribute and make plays -- it's really changed the outlook on Beane's drafting and UDFA acquisition.

I know that many -- myself included, at times -- feel that Beane's strength is in overall team building and contract structuring and things of that nature, but that he sometimes is lacking in the "drafting good players" department. Things sure are looking a little different on that front at the moment. Granted, I'd still like to see a higher "homerun" rate", but...I can't just ignore the contributions of so many of his draft picks on this roster right now.

Good drafting, roster building, and player development: the benefits of a steady and high quality front office.

As for SVPG: McGovern has thus far surpassed my expectations, seems to be one of the leaders of the OL, and is playing at a high level. He's only 26 and is theoretically just now coming into his prime. Whereas I had previously viewed him as a one to two year stopgap and SVPG as the future at the position, if McGovern keeps playing the way he is, I don't imagine he'll be leaving the pivot any time soon. I still like SVPG as a prospect, though, and I love knowing that we have good interior linemen (Alec Anderson is impressive, too) in the pipeline.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

I know it’s easy to gloss over 8 plays or 17 by Anderson etc but it’s big to get these guys in for live game reps against starters on another roster. It builds depth and prepares these guys to be future starters more than just mental reps. I’m not sure how many of these guys are on scout team getting to go against our first team. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. This season and seeing all these young guys contribute and make plays -- it's really changed the outlook on Beane's drafting and UDFA acquisition.

I know that many -- myself included, at times -- feel that Beane's strength is in overall team building and contract structuring and things of that nature, but that he sometimes is lacking in the "drafting good players" department. Things sure are looking a little different on that front at the moment. Granted, I'd still like to see a higher "homerun" rate", but...I can't just ignore the contributions of so many of his draft picks on this roster right now.

Good drafting, roster building, and player development: the benefits of a steady and high quality front office.

As for SVPG: McGovern has thus far surpassed my expectations, seems to be one of the leaders of the OL, and is playing at a high level. He's only 26 and is theoretically just now coming into his prime. Whereas I had previously viewed him as a one to two year stopgap and SVPG as the future at the position, if McGovern keeps playing the way he is, I don't imagine he'll be leaving the pivot any time soon. I still like SVPG as a prospect, though, and I love knowing that we have good interior linemen (Alec Anderson is impressive, too) in the pipeline.

You can never have enough good corners or o linemen. I love how they are developing these raw guys on the practice squad and then brining them up in spots when needed. That is the use of the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When I first glanced at this, I thought you said "I know he was drunk this time...."

I started thinking is this the reason he only got 8 snaps?

I tended to read the same thing.  Funny how the mind can play tricks on the eyes.

What position did they have him in at, center I'm hoping??  Though have to admit, very little noticeable drop off with McGovern.  Think he still has 2 years left on contract??

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I tended to read the same thing.  Funny how the mind can play tricks on the eyes.

What position did they have him in at, center I'm hoping??  Though have to admit, very little noticeable drop off with McGovern.  Think he still has 2 years left on contract??

It was at center.  Our OL looks good overall.  I would keep it the way it is.