Jayden Daniels

Awwufelloff

9 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I think that the issue is that he never faced adversity at the high school or college level. He's having to learn that at the highest level and isn't responding to it very well right now. 

Yep. Notice how some of the greatest QBs have had to overcome adversity early on before reaching the pros and really dig in deep with hard work and dedication to overcome. Josh Allen who was rejected by so many college programs. Tom Brady who frequently lost starting jobs in Michigan despite playing better than the other guy and then having to earn his starting position as a 7th round draft pick. Kurt Warner who was bagging groceries and playing football in Europe before the Rams gave him a chance. Rodgers who was passed up by many colleges and had to start small and then sit and learn behind Favre. Drew Brees who was labeled too short to play the game and had to overcome serious injury. Etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Yep. Notice how some of the greatest QBs have had to overcome adversity early on before reaching the pros and really dig in deep with hard work and dedication to overcome. Josh Allen who was rejected by so many college programs. Tom Brady who frequently lost starting jobs in Michigan despite playing better than the other guy and then having to earn his starting position as a 7th round draft pick. Kurt Warner who was bagging groceries and playing football in Europe before the Rams gave him a chance. Rodgers who was passed up by many colleges and had to start small and then sit and learn behind Favre. Drew Brees who was labeled too short to play the game and had to overcome serious injury. Etc. 

And Mahomes was a three-star recruit that was great in college but his team didn't win a whole lot. He had to work hard to prove a lot of doubters wrong. T-Law is facing this for the first time in his life right now, at the NFL level. 

12 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

I'm glad the Patriots got pick #3 and not 2. Daniels looks LEGIT.

I felt this way even before the draft.  Daniels worried me a lot more than Maye did and I was glad the Commanders got the tiebreaker for the #2 pick.  Though I guess it's always possible Maye could turn out good too.

13 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Of all the QBs drafted this year, Daniels’ college tape reminded me ALOT of Josh.

Strive he reminds me more of Lamar than Josh.  There’s only one Josh, but the only person I’d compare Josh to is John Elway.  That was a similarity for sure.

Dont get me wrong, I think Daniels may evolve to better than Lamar.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It was so beyond obvious that this kid was by FAR the best QB in that draft. It astonishes me that GMs can be so wrong when it seems so obvious. 

Caleb Williams was hyped by the media. Kind of like (to a lesser extent) Josh Rosen back in the day. I bought it back then, but I'm leary of who the media is pumping up these days. Sometimes they are just blowing smoke.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Strive he reminds me more of Lamar than Josh.  There’s only one Josh, but the only person I’d compare Josh to is John Elway.  That was a similarity for sure.

I’d argue Daniels is already a better passing QB than Lamar has ever been.  The college stats back that up, we’ll see if that continues for Daniels in the pro game.  I’d be surprised if Daniels is ever the runner that Lamar is, but there aren’t many that can say that.  Time will tell. 

47 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I’d argue Daniels is already a better passing QB than Lamar has ever been.  The college stats back that up, we’ll see if that continues for Daniels in the pro game.  I’d be surprised if Daniels is ever the runner that Lamar is, but there aren’t many that can say that.  Time will tell. 

Strive, I agree Daniels has the potential to be a much better passer down the road.  It’s there game so we’ll see.  His time at LSU was impressive.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree there's only one Josh Allen but Arch Manning.........

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I didn’t really love this class in general. I always compared Caleb Williams to Kyler Murray and Drake Maye to Sam Darnold. Wasn’t a huge of Daniels esp playing him early. Looks like I was wrong on Daniels early. Glad the NFC finally got a top QB 

Kyler and Kliff didnt get along. The talent has been there. He has a chance to be the top QB in the NFC. I think he's better than Hurts and Dak and Purdy (who I love)

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Kyler and Kliff didnt get along. The talent has been there. He has a chance to be the top QB in the NFC. I think he's better than Hurts and Dak and Purdy (who I love)

It's amazing how many good QBs are in the AFC. The easy top 3 of Allen, Mahomes and Lamar are AFC. Burrow is probably #4 for most people with Stroud at 5. Then you get into the Love, Murray, Stafford, Dak, Hurts conversation with maybe Herbert and possibly Tua. Daniels may end up being a consensus top 10 QB before the end of the year. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It was so beyond obvious that this kid was by FAR the best QB in that draft. It astonishes me that GMs can be so wrong when it seems so obvious. 

2nd year in a row the team with the #1 pick ignored size, and went for the small QB, only to watch the #2 pick be on a career path that will dwarf their dwarf.   

3 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Overcoming adversity is one of the reasons I don't believe a young QB can be ruined.  I believe that people use the ruined excuse way too often because they don't want to admit the guy never had it to be an NFL QB. Josh had a horrible O-line & bad WRs in his rookie year, but even as a rookie he elevated everyone around him, willed the team to victories very few QBs could have & still took his lumps and looked bad to the stat boys.  Now a QB's progress can get ######ed, but ruined, I say no.  I also think times are changing.  Years ago, guys like Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold would have been written off as either total busts or career backups. Now we're seeing these guys rise from the ashes of their careers and become productive starting QBs. 

Edit Those filters are tough. I used a word that is properly used to indicate that a person's progress can get slowed down, and because of PC, it was censored.  Here's the definition: verb simple past tense of xxxxxx. Synonyms: slowed, delayed, decelerated to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

2nd year in a row the team with the #1 pick ignored size, and went for the small QB, only to watch the #2 pick be on a career path that will dwarf their dwarf.   

Yeah I wasn't convinced that Caleb would be the best QB in the draft. I figured he was going to one of the best situations possible for a number one pick. If there is a team in the NFL thats a "QB away" its Chicago. that said, they have one of the worst HCs in the NFL so I'm expecting he gets fired this year 

Based on what I've seen, Daniels looks great, but I agree that with his style of play and his smaller build, he may get beat up and fade quickly.

On a somewhat related topic, for what it's worth, I'm very happy to see Josh starting to slide and/or get out of bounds.  I think that his broken hand (or whatever is wrong with his non-throwing hand) from the leap into the end zone in Week 1 may end up being a turning point in his career.  There was at least one play against Jax where he could have lowered his shoulder and run into the end zone for the TD, but wisely slid and didn't take the hit.  There are times when you take the hit (playoffs, late in the 4th quarter of a close game, etc.) but Josh has taken too many unnecessary risks to this point.  He is a tough SOB and has demonstrated a willingness to pay through pain, but there have been times when he clearly was not 100% and it impacted his play (not to say that Josh at 70% isn't better than most), but better to slide more often and avoid the hits.

5 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

that really seems to be how it goes…the qbs from big time programs have pass catchers that are just so physically talented that they don’t have to work too hard