Mr. Brightside: is this a thing now?

NewEra

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I think that song belongs to Gen X.  

If not what is THE Gen X anthem?  

Boomers it’s any Fleetwood Mac song.  

Gen X doesn’t have one clear anthem. We’ve got a TON of ageless songs that my teenagers are into today. From Journey to Billy Joel to Meatloaf, Cheap Trick, Rush, and a million one hit wonders, we have an eclectic mix to choose from.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Agreed, and I may be biased but I love Leeds United when they play Kaiser Chiefs “I Predict a Riot” after home wins. Helps that Kaiser Chiefs are from Leeds but it’s also an easy chorus to sing and the stadium goes absolutely nuts.

Great song.   Kickball is a sh!t boring game but the fans are great.

• Like (+1) 1

• NewEra changed the title to Mr. Brightside: is this a thing now?

Barenaked Ladies have a song, Get Back Up, which has these lyrics that I think would be good for in game...

"Get back, get back up
You gotta get back, get back up
You got a whole stadium on their feet, it's not about a victory or a defeat
See you gotta get back, get back up
You gotta get back, get back up"

But the music just does not fit a football game atmosphere.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not a fan of stealing other people’s traditions (generally). With that being said, I don’t hate the idea of “borrowing” “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from Liverpool. It’s kind of on brand too. The Bills Mafia is the most “ride or die” fan base in American Sports. They certainly have that reputation. That kind of “we are always here” message would be wild. 

You're not a real fan of soccer (or "Proppaphutbo" in the British language) until your supporters steal a Broadway show tune, or change the lyrics to Annie's Song by John Denver.

My favorite soccer song though, is about renowned scumbag Stan Collymore:

Collymore's a wanker

He wears a wanker's hat

He was a Forest bastard

And then a Leicester *****

He went out with Ulrike

And beat her like an egg

So when he came to Derby

We broke his ***** leg.

North American sports culture just doesn't do end to end, whistle to whistle singalongs unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, msw2112 said:

This is not original either.  Michigan has been playing this song between the 3rd and 4th quarters since 2016 and it's a big deal there.  

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2021/10/how-mr-brightside-by-the-killers-became-a-michigan-stadium-tradition.html

As a Michigan alum, I'm fine with my favorite pro team using the same song, but just need to clarify that this is NOT original to the Bills.

Also, I have not read all of the posts in this thread, so maybe I'm not the first person to point this out, but at least I have a link to provide further background....

Lol, any Michigan tradition doesn’t count. I should have clarified that. That’s the weakest fan base in the country. We can just take that and bully those dorks (you excluded of course).

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Everyone?   Suddenly I feel old and left out.  I don't know a single lyric of that song.  

Let me put a Doors song on my turntable and contemplate my loneliness.  

Me too. Had to Google it and said yea I think I remember  hearing this.

Guess I have to learn the lyrics now

17 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I think that song belongs to Gen X.  

If not what is THE Gen X anthem?  

Boomers it’s any Fleetwood Mac song.  

is this a serious question?   

umm.

Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit 

and

Pearl Jam Alive

are the Gen X anthems.  

Billy Joel while loved by Gen X does not represent Gen X, he is a boomer and a softy.  He went to Woodstock and left because the bathrooms were dirty.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/24/2024 at 10:45 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been of the belief that this team deserves some of its own traditions. The Shout song is from a different era. We started doing the Legend of the Game but that’s just a nod to the early ‘90’s as well. 

Don’t get me wrong, they’re fine. It’s just nice to have a few traditions that are specific to this era. They’ve earned it.

p.s. They keep trying to steal Jump Around after the 3rd from Wisconsin. It’s annoying. Fortunately it has been a disaster. Come up with your own thing.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm old school and was around for the super bowl era Bills when the Shout song became the scoring anthem. Before that it was that stupid 'Talking Proud" song in the 80s. 

But this is a whole different team that should have it's own themes that fans can identify exclusively with this version. For me, Shout! is played. Time to retire it as a post-score tradition.

I don't care about red helmets, whammy weenies, Shout, Talking Proud, or any other Bills-affiliated relic from yesteryear.  Other than an occasional glance for nostalgia's sake, I don't have much desire to cling to the past. Change is good.

Leave the past where it belongs - in the Buffalo News archives or vintage news reels. 

Those teams, as much as we loved them, didn't win a super bowl. This one will. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

is this a serious question?   

umm.

Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit 

and

Pearl Jam Alive

are the Gen X anthems.  

Billy Joel while loved by Gen X does not represent Gen X, he is a boomer and a softy.  He went to Woodstock and left because the bathrooms were dirty.

Those bands are Gen Y. 

• Haha (+1) 1