Mr. Brightside: is this a thing now?

NewEra

I've been hearing Mr. Brightside at sporting events  for a few years now.   The Bills pinched it.   It's ok.

If you want a Bills themed song..........Square Hammer by Ghost with the "Rite here Rite Now" refrain.

It's not a scream along but it is escalating energy.......and it's fairly commercial having been used by the NFL many times and considered by some the best heavy metal song of the 2010's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

It's a great song and the energy is felt, but I think it might get old fast... especially if we're losing.

I've always thought the beginning of the 3rd or 4th quarter should be an instrumental-only version of The Beautiful People or Du Hast. 

Say what you will about the artists/song, but it would get the people GOING.

No Sleep Till Brooklyn Reaction GIF by Beastie Boys

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

It’s funny because it’s one of those energy/happy songs of which the subject matter is kinda dark.  No one really knows that until they deep dive into the lyrics.  Similar to Gin Blossoms - “Hey Jealousy”.. a song that you’ll sing at the top of your lungs with the boys at a bar and then realize it’s so, so depressing. 

Mr Brightside is a song sung from the perspective of a man who’s into a woman - maybe someone he’s crushing on/maybe an ex, and she’s now sleeping with another man and he can’t stop thinking about it. 

The white guys definitely love it, but I don’t know.. Cook & Hollins looked right at home. 

Similar thing to Third Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life. Sounds fun, fast, and happy until you realize the lyrics are about life spiraling down fueled by a crystal meth addiction. 

I didn't realize we had been using Mr. Brightside. Works fine when we're celebrating a blow out win at the end of the game, but not a great rally cry for needing a late game comeback. How the Steelers use Renegade seems to work well in both situations. I know Michigan and I thought a few other college have been using this for awhile. Seems a bit copy cat similar to how a bunch of teams use the White Stripes for kick off pump ups. Too bad we didn't have something more original outside of the shout song.

Edited by rusty shackleford

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not a fan of stealing other people’s traditions (generally). With that being said, I don’t hate the idea of “borrowing” “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from Liverpool. It’s kind of on brand too. The Bills Mafia is the most “ride or die” fan base in American Sports. They certainly have that reputation. That kind of “we are always here” message would be wild. 

So that's what that Pink Floyd outro is...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Two things I've been wishing they'd do for a while but not sure if they can due to licensing issues:

When Rousseau makes a big play, I'd like the PA to blast the "I am Groooot" sound bite from a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

When Bass makes a kick, I always thought it would be funny if they played a "Bass-o-matic" soundbite from Dan Aykroyd on SNL. Granted, I've had this idea for so long that Tyler Bass no longer IS Bass-o-matic, and also most people today would probably have no idea who the hell Dan Aykroyd is.

I've always thought the Bills -- and all pro football teams, really -- vastly underuse the "fan traditions and singalongs" part of sports. You watch Premiere League soccer and thousands of fans are singing songs specific to certain players, doing chants, choreographed multi-part call and response...it's wild. Football fans just kind of....get drunk and yell at the top of their voices. Just a generic din. 

I'm dorky enough to think that Groot is the wrong nickname for Rousseau and that instead it should be "The General Will."

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Two things I've been wishing they'd do for a while but not sure if they can due to licensing issues:

When Rousseau makes a big play, I'd like the PA to blast the "I am Groooot" sound bite from a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

When Bass makes a kick, I always thought it would be funny if they played a "Bass-o-matic" soundbite from Dan Aykroyd on SNL. Granted, I've had this idea for so long that Tyler Bass no longer IS Bass-o-matic, and also most people today would probably have no idea who the hell Dan Aykroyd is.

I've always thought the Bills -- and all pro football teams, really -- vastly underuse the "fan traditions and singalongs" part of sports. You watch Premiere League soccer and thousands of fans are singing songs specific to certain players, doing chants, choreographed multi-part call and response...it's wild. Football fans just kind of....get drunk and yell at the top of their voices. Just a generic din. 

Agreed, and I may be biased but I love Leeds United when they play Kaiser Chiefs “I Predict a Riot” after home wins. Helps that Kaiser Chiefs are from Leeds but it’s also an easy chorus to sing and the stadium goes absolutely nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

Started playing it last season for at least 2 games - then they showed clips of the team singing it a Dawson's wedding.  Dawson referenced it in the Embedded clips and it was at the home opener.  Not my favorite - but the young adult generation seems to get behind it.

Edited by DasNootz

There was a group of jaguars fans near us.  They loved this, as well as the unintentional Oasis Wonderwall sing along part of the game earlier.

They said they had been to almost every stadium in the league at this point, and nothing comes elven close to the fun atmosphere and experience. stuff helps. 

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1