Mr. Brightside: is this a thing now?

NewEra

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

It's very, very much a thing, and it's great in the stadium.  It's become the "Bills" song.  A vast majority of the crowd sings along with it.  (Though when I'm there I wish singing was like that in church earlier in the day, but that's a different matter.)

It traces to the NE playoff game.  That's the first time I recall it being played, and I'm almost certain it was used then for the line "destiny is calling."  That's sort of the hook as to why it's used in the stadium, and how it's relevant to the fanbase.  It has become the song to be played when the game is sealed.  (Although it was played way too early against the Chiefs last year in the playoffs.)  

I heard them play jump around again this week (I was in the concourse getting a water during that break).  That's going nowhere.  The Mr. Brightside thing is this team, and this generation, and it is big.  Electric in the stadium when it's played.  Love it.  It's a new tradition.  And I'll reiterate that it traces to the NE playoff game - "destiny is calling."  

Yes, I came here to post.  It definitely seems to have started in the NE 'perfect game'.  That game was a party in the stands, it was an extended break and they played it and it was a huge sing-along.  They dabbled with it since then, but the past few games, it seems like more of a staple/ritual.  

I think its been a Michigan Wolverines thing for awhile

• Like (+1) 1

Not a fan of the song, its feels very "meh" to me, but I'm not here to rain on anyone else's parade. If other fans like it, and the players like it I say have fun with it!

Didn't know it was a Michigan Wolverines thing, but who cares (maybe Terry does as he is a Penn State guy haha), and they are college football, if another NFL team did it then it would be weird imo

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Definitely an electric moment, crowd really got into it- especially seeing Dalton, Knox, others reactions.

There was a pre clip shown on scoreboard, with Kincaid and Knox talking music at practice.  Daltons choice was Mr Brightside, which is why he was amped.

It was just a 1 time thing, at least in my experience.

I think a couple videos are out there now.

There was apparently some social media about "Mr Brightside" being played at Dawson Knox wedding.   Apparently all the Bills players who were in attendence rushed the dance floor and danced and lifted Dawson and his bride up to carry them around as they danced to it.  Dawson was asked about it in a pre-season interview, talked about it as a really cool moment.

So apparently the song has some traction with the Bills players

9 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It may have stemmed from Dawson's wedding over the summer....

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1515999788991620

Thanks, yes, This.  Though it focuses on Josh.  There's another clip showing Dawson and his bride being carried around, Dawson by a couple of OLmen

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I don't know a single word to it and didn't even know what it was until this thread. 🤷‍♂️

At least the white boys are. I bet the brothers hate it.

It’s funny because it’s one of those energy/happy songs of which the subject matter is kinda dark.  No one really knows that until they deep dive into the lyrics.  Similar to Gin Blossoms - “Hey Jealousy”.. a song that you’ll sing at the top of your lungs with the boys at a bar and then realize it’s so, so depressing. 

Mr Brightside is a song sung from the perspective of a man who’s into a woman - maybe someone he’s crushing on/maybe an ex, and she’s now sleeping with another man and he can’t stop thinking about it. 

The white guys definitely love it, but I don’t know.. Cook & Hollins looked right at home. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, benderbender said:

I was in Pittsburgh for the preseason game. I had no idea until I experienced it. It is a weapon. I have a whole new retroactive appreciation for McD did in the Barkley game. 

That was a Peak Coaching Moment. 

Loved McDermott's reaction after the game, one of the times he's been most genuine in a post game interview.  He smiled until he laughed.

The Bills definitely stole their song.

3 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Is James Cook really that much smaller than Spencer Brown?

Holy *****. 

There's a reason Brown's twitter handle is @TooTallo_o

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

What about us Boomers? Piano Man?

Good question, definitely in the running. Margaritaville as a possibility also. I’ve always seen the Boomers and Gen X as generations with better musical tastes than us who followed. Drunk sing a long trends have more meaning now than musically solid stuff Boomers enjoy. 

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been of the belief that this team deserves some of its own traditions. The Shout song is from a different era. We started doing the Legend of the Game but that’s just a nod to the early ‘90’s as well. 

Two things I've been wishing they'd do for a while but not sure if they can due to licensing issues:

When Rousseau makes a big play, I'd like the PA to blast the "I am Groooot" sound bite from a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

When Bass makes a kick, I always thought it would be funny if they played a "Bass-o-matic" soundbite from Dan Aykroyd on SNL. Granted, I've had this idea for so long that Tyler Bass no longer IS Bass-o-matic, and also most people today would probably have no idea who the hell Dan Aykroyd is.

I've always thought the Bills -- and all pro football teams, really -- vastly underuse the "fan traditions and singalongs" part of sports. You watch Premiere League soccer and thousands of fans are singing songs specific to certain players, doing chants, choreographed multi-part call and response...it's wild. Football fans just kind of....get drunk and yell at the top of their voices. Just a generic din. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I know I’m old, but how does a song about seeing your girl getting banged by some other dude relate to the 4th quarter?

It's a metaphor for life itself. As Bills fans, we can relate to having the thing we want most slip through our fingers, time and time again. The message of the song is instead of letting jealously and bitterness rot your life away, embrace your destiny and become Mr. Brightside. 

• Like (+1) 2