Joe Brady has changed the season's expectations

Inigo Montoya

I am tempering my expectations, considering we face the Ravens, Texans and Jets defenses all on the road. The Ravens pass defense is abysmal, but the Texans and Jets are in the Top 10.

The true test of our team is in this stretch. Brady has an opportunity to really prove he is the new top genius on the block. I am also fully aware that the last time we had a non-Josh led team like this, we went into Arrowhead and lost 33-6, so even the great teams stub their toe once in a while. Let's hope we can go at least 2-1 in this stretch!!!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well when you are almost being forced into designing 8+ plays per game for one person , sometimes 10+... It literally takes efficiency away from the offense 

Think of it like an engine that needs to be well oiled to stay functionable... Forcing it to one person over and over again when other professionals are getting paid to stop him is like clogging your engine with sludge 

Josh being able to spread it out over 8 9 guys every game and not worry about forcing it to one guy is like a beautiful engine with fully synthetic oil 

No friction there baby

I want to make sweet love to this post with Boyz II Men playing in the background.

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I want to make sweet love to this post with Boyz II Men playing in the background.

Hope you enjoyed the game and the city!

You and your son must have brought some extra spark to the Ralph on Monday night.. cuz the Bills beat the jaguars like they owed them money 

They beat them like a redheaded stepchild lol 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 9/24/2024 at 8:35 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect that Brady won't be to quick to take a head coaching job unless it' the perfect spot.  He was promoted from college to be an NFL OC way to quickly and he wasn't ready.  He suffered through getting thrown under the bus and has to consider himself lucky to have landed with Buffalo.  I doubt he makes the same mistake again. 

Was he not ready, or was he just coaching under Matt Rhule who has been shown to be incompetent?

I don’t think he’ll jump immediately to HC either, because it’s a totally different job. A great coach needs to be a manager and delegator. Not just have elite skills at whatever their specialty is. Maybe in a couple years after the Bills have added some Lombardi Trophies to his resume.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Was he not ready, or was he just coaching under Matt Rhule who has been shown to be incompetent?

I don’t think he’ll jump immediately to HC either, because it’s a totally different job. A great coach needs to be a manager and delegator. Not just have elite skills at whatever their specialty is. Maybe in a couple years after the Bills have added some Lombardi Trophies to his resume.

I think he was better prepared then Ruhle.  As I recall Carolina's scoring went down after he was fired.  At the same time that was one hell of a jump from Saints quality control to LSU passing game coordinator to Carolina OC.

50 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I am tempering my expectations, considering we face the Ravens, Texans and Jets defenses all on the road. The Ravens pass defense is abysmal, but the Texans and Jets are in the Top 10.

The true test of our team is in this stretch. Brady has an opportunity to really prove he is the new top genius on the block. I am also fully aware that the last time we had a non-Josh led team like this, we went into Arrowhead and lost 33-6, so even the great teams stub their toe once in a while. Let's hope we can go at least 2-1 in this stretch!!!

That Chiefs game still sticks with me as well. Few regular season games have. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Logic said:

I love what Brady is doing so far. He has surpassed my expectations, and I love the the plays he draws up, the way he calls games in the moment, and the way he uses his players to his strengths. All indications are that he's also a good listener, good collaborator, and high character person.

I'll admit I've fallen victim to the "he'll be gone after a year or two anyway" talk, BUT...

I would be remiss not to mention this: Let's see how he does as defenses start to get more tape on what he likes to do. Many coordinators start out hot and then once opponents get some idea of what they like doing and how to defend it, they have no counter-punch. Heck, even Ken Dorsey's first few games as full time Bills offensive coordinator had the team looking pretty sharp and putting up points. Then opposing defenses caught up, and he never countered in his remaining time here.

I think Brady is brighter and better at calling offense than Dorsey, and I have faith that he WILL have some counter-punches, particularly since his offense is so multiple and seems to be able to beat you in a myriad of ways. Still, until he proves that his offense is here to stay, I fear the "somebody will poach him" talk is premature.

To wit: Here's a thread from October 1st last year, posted coming off of 37, 38, and 48 point performances from the offense.

Yup.

This is consistent refrain here. History shows guys do get those opportunities, but not as early as Bills fans think they will.

Daboll, according to these boards, was a sure thing to be gone after 2020. And look how well things have turned out - so far - for him in NYC.

On 9/24/2024 at 8:22 PM, Bockeye said:

Brady will be headed to CIN for a Burrow reunion next season  if they keep losing.  

I’m rethinking as the game is changing.  

You’re going to see a dramatic slowdown in OCs being favored to get these jobs.  

Especially the teams with established QBs.  

Defense is back.  And teams need leaders of men to handle guys that just made millions playing college football and can still develop the way the Bills and others have.  

Right now, only Kevin O’Connell is making it work - and guess what he did.  Brought in an elite DC.  

DCs or known Leaders of men or both

Chargers

Seattle 

Texans 

Washington 

Patriots 

Raiders 

Steelers keep winning

Baltimore keeps winning 

We keep winning 

Jets are winning, for now

Tampa - Bowles 

Arizona- Gannon 

Detroit - Campbell is an offensive guy but unquestionably a leader of men

Chicago - stuck with Eberflus management drafted the wrong QB but we’ll be talking more about that later.  It’s Williams.  Not the OC.  The GM botched all this.  

OC head guys still getting it done:

Reid, obviously 

McVay 

Shanny (is he?)

LaFleur

Currently falling apart:

Miami 

Cincy 

Jacksonville 

Dallas

Tennessee - Levis is bad 

Colts - Richardson is worse 

Browns - Watson is a disaster; defense carried them in 2023 Flacco my rear end 

Worth noting:

Ben Johnson - that O doesn’t look as good

Slowik - same as Detroit   

Jury still out:

Canalas 

If Brady and other OCs or DCs are smart they don’t have to take the first job.  Which in 2025 in order could be: 

Jacksonville 

Giants 

Jets 

Philly 

Chicago 

Cleveland

Arizona 

Dallas 

Which one is most appealing?  Which one would want Brady?  Chicago?  Is he a fit with Caleb?  Philly?  Dallas?  

More importantly are those teams going to hand it over to a first time coach to fix their current messes.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

That Chiefs game still sticks with me as well. Few regular season games have. 

Yeah, but the Pickle playoff game was so worth it, right?!?! DeBerg wasn't going to hold up in that game anyways! I have replaced the haunting chop and chant of that game with DeBerg and The Pickle getting destroyed at Rich Stadium... the memories for us old guys... I'm so ready to beat the Chiefs again in the playoffs like we did in the 90s.

17 hours ago, boater said:

Daboll made Head Coach because Josh Allen made him look good. Today he is struggling.

When teams look at Brady, they will wonder if it is another "Josh Allen making him look good" situation. Teams will want to see more of a track record from Brady to get over that concern. I don't expect Brady to get a HC gig until 2026.

No they won’t, look how many times people fell for the Parcells, Belicheck etc coaching tree.  This league is desperate for talented coaches, Brady has been around long enough to have his own reputation AND the team got better as soon as he took over.

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m rethinking as the game is changing.  

You’re going to see a dramatic slowdown in OCs being favored to get these jobs.  

Especially the teams with established QBs.  

Defense is back.  And teams need leaders of men to handle guys that just made millions playing college football and can still develop the way the Bills and others have.  

Right now, only Kevin O’Connell is making it work - and guess what he did.  Brought in an elite DC.  

DCs or known Leaders of men or both

Chargers

Seattle 

Texans 

Washington 

Patriots 

Raiders 

Steelers keep winning

Baltimore keeps winning 

We keep winning 

Jets are winning, for now

Tampa - Bowles 

Arizona- Gannon 

Detroit - Campbell is an offensive guy but unquestionably a leader of men

Chicago - stuck with Eberflus management drafted the wrong QB but we’ll be talking more about that later.  It’s Williams.  Not the OC.  The GM botched all this.  

OC head guys still getting it done:

Reid, obviously 

McVay 

Shanny (is he?)

LaFleur

Currently falling apart:

Miami 

Cincy 

Jacksonville 

Dallas

Tennessee - Levis is bad 

Colts - Richardson is worse 

Browns - Watson is a disaster; defense carried them in 2023 Flacco my rear end 

Worth noting:

Ben Johnson - that O doesn’t look as good

Slowik - same as Detroit   

Jury still out:

Canalas 

If Brady and other OCs or DCs are smart they don’t have to take the first job.  Which in 2025 in order could be: 

Jacksonville 

Giants 

Jets 

Philly 

Chicago 

Cleveland

Arizona 

Dallas 

Which one is most appealing?  Which one would want Brady?  Chicago?  Is he a fit with Caleb?  Philly?  Dallas?  

More importantly are those teams going to hand it over to a first time coach to fix their current messes.  

The list of teams that “just keep winning” are the list of teams that keep losing when it counts too.  Interesting, the SB winning teams still all fall to OCs.  The rest really aren’t even that good.  The only teams you can argue for are Lions (who will lose their OC this year) and the Texans, who again, will have to start over on offense after this year.   The rest of the teams suck because they can’t score when it counts.

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This might be the most important extension for this organization. 

Obviously, the two most important guys are the GM and HC.  And when the HC is a defensive guy, the next most important guy is the OC.

We seem to have found a good one.   Allen has been through 4 OCs in his career so far and two of them were not good.  It would be cool if we could have a Reid-Spags thing for a while - continuity with two guys who are talented on their side of the ball.  

On 9/25/2024 at 11:35 PM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

As an example of it not being a death sentence? I might hold off on that until the end of this season lol

No. As proof of it being a death sentence. He is about to become further evidence. And long before the end of the season I expect.

• Like (+1) 1