Joe Brady has changed the season's expectations

Inigo Montoya

13 hours ago, DCofNC said:

This is the problem with a defensive coach and a superstar QB.

What if your "defensive coach" is every bit of the X&Os genius on HIS side of the ball that the "offensive geniuses" are on theirs....AND....he runs one of the best programs in the league in terms of consistent high player development and cohesion? 

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I love what Brady is doing so far. He has surpassed my expectations, and I love the the plays he draws up, the way he calls games in the moment, and the way he uses his players to his strengths. All indications are that he's also a good listener, good collaborator, and high character person.

I'll admit I've fallen victim to the "he'll be gone after a year or two anyway" talk, BUT...

I would be remiss not to mention this: Let's see how he does as defenses start to get more tape on what he likes to do. Many coordinators start out hot and then once opponents get some idea of what they like doing and how to defend it, they have no counter-punch. Heck, even Ken Dorsey's first few games as full time Bills offensive coordinator had the team looking pretty sharp and putting up points. Then opposing defenses caught up, and he never countered in his remaining time here.

I think Brady is brighter and better at calling offense than Dorsey, and I have faith that he WILL have some counter-punches, particularly since his offense is so multiple and seems to be able to beat you in a myriad of ways. Still, until he proves that his offense is here to stay, I fear the "somebody will poach him" talk is premature.

To wit: Here's a thread from October 1st last year, posted coming off of 37, 38, and 48 point performances from the offense.

This year does feel different because we're not relying on the big play.  

I wonder how much Diggs f***** Dorsey's game planning and play calling just to satisfy him?

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect that Brady won't be to quick to take a head coaching job unless it' the perfect spot.  He was promoted from college to be an NFL OC way to quickly and he wasn't ready.  He suffered through getting thrown under the bus and has to consider himself lucky to have landed with Buffalo.  I doubt he makes the same mistake again. 

I agree.  

I don't think the Bills will continue to score 37 ppg.  Brady and the offense will have some bad games.  And I don't know if one good year as an OC with superman as his QB will persuade every GM and owner that Brady's the man.

And Brady himself has a say.  Everyone knows being at HC in the wrong organization sucks.  Some owners meddle and some GMs give you crap talent to work with and essentially set you up for failure.  

I think the chances that a team with a HC opening wants Brady as their first pick, and Brady reciprocates & wants that team, are probably long.  I think he'll get  a couple of interviews but end up staying with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I love what Brady is doing so far. He has surpassed my expectations, and I love the the plays he draws up, the way he calls games in the moment, and the way he uses his players to his strengths. All indications are that he's also a good listener, good collaborator, and high character person.

I'll admit I've fallen victim to the "he'll be gone after a year or two anyway" talk, BUT...

I would be remiss not to mention this: Let's see how he does as defenses start to get more tape on what he likes to do. Many coordinators start out hot and then once opponents get some idea of what they like doing and how to defend it, they have no counter-punch. Heck, even Ken Dorsey's first few games as full time Bills offensive coordinator had the team looking pretty sharp and putting up points. Then opposing defenses caught up, and he never countered in his remaining time here.

I think Brady is brighter and better at calling offense than Dorsey, and I have faith that he WILL have some counter-punches, particularly since his offense is so multiple and seems to be able to beat you in a myriad of ways. Still, until he proves that his offense is here to stay, I fear the "somebody will poach him" talk is premature.

To wit: Here's a thread from October 1st last year, posted coming off of 37, 38, and 48 point performances from the offense.

Man, this was tough to read 🤣

I did say “if he kept up that pace.” Obviously, he didn’t. Brady’s O seems much more physical and built for longevity. The line play is also the best I’ve seen in the McDermott era, our WRs are even mauling people in the run game. I thought the pass pro would take a hit, but it’s as decent as ever. I’m a huge believer in building from the trenches. Both O and D lines are playing phenomenally which is coincidentally leading to team success.

Dorsey DID have to deal w/ the perpetual drama queen Diggs which was probably nothing short of nightmare trying to keep him happy. I also feel like Brady inherited a better roster. Morse older and not physical enough in the run game, Kincaid still very green, Gabe Davis dropping everything, Diggs underperforming drastically, etc. This offense (especially Allen) seem so much more relaxed and dialed in. 

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Man, this was tough to read 🤣

I did say “if he kept up that pace.” Obviously, he didn’t. Brady’s O seems much more physical and built for longevity. The line play is also the best I’ve seen in the McDermott era, our WRs are even mauling people in the run game. I thought the pass pro would take a hit, but it’s as decent as ever. I’m a huge believer in building from the trenches. Both O and D lines are playing phenomenally which is coincidentally leading to team success.

Dorsey DID have to deal w/ the perpetual drama queen Diggs which was probably nothing short of nightmare trying to keep him happy. I also feel like Brady inherited a better roster. Morse older and not physical enough in the run game, Kincaid still very green, Gabe Davis dropping everything, Diggs underperforming drastically, etc. This offense (especially Allen) seem so much more relaxed and dialed in. 

I agree with all your points. And I didn't mean to call you out specifically, so apologies for any collateral damage inflicted by pulling up this thread 😅

I mainly just meant to point out that it has happened again and again and again throughout NFL history that a new offensive playcaller looks amazing -- until he doesn't. At some point, opposing defenses figure out what you like to do and find ways to defend it. 

Like I said, I happen to think Brady is smart enough and that his offense is multiple enough that he WILL have counter-punches. Mostly because it's not as if the Bills are just doing ONE thing. They're mauling people in the run game, they're hitting screens and gimme passes, medium range passes, using motion effectively, calling QB runs in intelligent spots, and utilizing their personnel to their strengths.

Nevertheless, as confident as I may be in Brady's ability to counter-punch, until I actually SEE him do it, I can't be 100% sure he'll be able to. Just playing devil's advocate. 

If we hit mid-season and beyond -- and play some tougher defenses -- and the Bills offense is still an unstoppable juggernaut, then I'll start looking for Brady replacements. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Every year before the season starts my wife who is a Bills fan by marriage, and causal football fan overall, asks me if the Bills are going to be good this year.  She has suffered through more "husband in a bad mood Sundays" than she should have in the 27 years we've been married.

I told her I didn't think the Bills would do great this year, we might make the playoffs, but I didn't think it could be a Super Bowl year.   We were getting our salary cap straight and hopefully Beane was setting the table to start a new run the next few seasons with a younger roster and room to maneuver in the free agency.

Through the first three weeks it looks like I was wrong.  I think if they keep winning, the urgency for them to win a Super Bowl this year increases exponentially for one reason, Joe Brady. 

If the Bills make a deep playoff run, Joe Brady will be a head coach next season.  We will have one year with him here to get over the hump.  I'm not an X's & O's guy but its clear that Brady has designed an offense that is bringing out the best in Josh, can score a lot of points, and win in different ways.  Josh has easy reads, wide open receivers, and a creative and effective running game to support him.  It looks more like an Andy Reid offense than anything we've fielded since Josh arrived.  Teams hoping to find their franchise QB in next year's draft will be lining up to hire Brady. 

After the first three games I have a different outlook, I think this is a team that can make a run and win a Super Bowl.  I also think we better get it done this year because the Brady/Allen collaboration is almost certainly going to be a one and done.

and this is why i still always say McD is the wrong head coach for this team. Josh Allen is the identity of this team, and he is going to have to go through a carousel of o coordinators. 

At some point, maybe he becomes Brady or Manning, where he is the CEO of the offense, but I doubt he's there yet. A few years of stability under a really great coordinator would be nice. 

And while I don't think McD is a great fit for Allen, I concede I don't know who we'd grab that would be better, so it's just something we'll most likely have to live with. 

it could be way worse, right? 

• Disagree 2

A consistent year of this kind of productivity from his offense in addition to transforming the offense mid season last year would definitely garner him some looks for a HC candidate. 

The Daboll situation works to our advantage because I think Brady would be more prudent as far as what opportunity he may take, thus buying us more time.

I also think he might be interested in seeing what we could add to this team next year and having an even better showcase of what he can do for future opportunities. 

I think Philly is the team that could derail everything because Sirianni is seriously on a hot seat and I think they would make a strong push to bring in a guy like Brady to utilize that talent. I could see him being the HC/OC also making Kellen Moore expendable (as he's not being viewed so great right now either)

Overall I hope the offensive success is sustained and we can keep him another 2 years but we'll always be at risk of being poached for personnel due to those same successes.

It's a catch 22

• Agree 1

I would say so far Joe Brady  appears to actually be game planning for individual defenses we face, vs calling random plays off of a list of plays, very interested in what he has on the table for Baltimore, should be entertaining 👍

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Every year before the season starts my wife who is a Bills fan by marriage, and causal football fan overall, asks me if the Bills are going to be good this year.  She has suffered through more "husband in a bad mood Sundays" than she should have in the 27 years we've been married.

I told her I didn't think the Bills would do great this year, we might make the playoffs, but I didn't think it could be a Super Bowl year.   We were getting our salary cap straight and hopefully Beane was setting the table to start a new run the next few seasons with a younger roster and room to maneuver in the free agency.

Through the first three weeks it looks like I was wrong.  I think if they keep winning, the urgency for them to win a Super Bowl this year increases exponentially for one reason, Joe Brady. 

If the Bills make a deep playoff run, Joe Brady will be a head coach next season.  We will have one year with him here to get over the hump.  I'm not an X's & O's guy but its clear that Brady has designed an offense that is bringing out the best in Josh, can score a lot of points, and win in different ways.  Josh has easy reads, wide open receivers, and a creative and effective running game to support him.  It looks more like an Andy Reid offense than anything we've fielded since Josh arrived.  Teams hoping to find their franchise QB in next year's draft will be lining up to hire Brady. 

After the first three games I have a different outlook, I think this is a team that can make a run and win a Super Bowl.  I also think we better get it done this year because the Brady/Allen collaboration is almost certainly going to be a one and done.

I don’t think Brady is one and done. That’s pretty rare.

Brian Daboll was credited with turning Josh into a franchise QB from a raw prospect. He was the OC for the Bills during 3 separate playoff runs, including a trip to the AFCCG.

Josh played like an MVP for two full seasons before Daboll left.

Bobby Slowik had a great year with Stroud, but he didn’t go anywhere.

Ben Johnson has been in Detroit for a few years and while he has had offers, he’s still with the Lions.

For whatever reason, most NFL teams don’t hand the keys to one year OC’s. 

We have two years with Brady, imo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

If we continue at this pace, Pegula should keep throwing money at Brady till he stays. Pay him head coach money. No cap for coordinators and Pegula won't miss a few extra million.

The Bucs paid Kiffin $4 mil. Per year back when they had Gruden in the early 2000’s as the Glazers knew the Bucs travele through Kiffin and that punishing defense.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea after the year to pay Brady top OC $ if that is if he keeps  The train rolling.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RkFast said:

What if your "defensive coach" is every bit of the X&Os genius on HIS side of the ball that the "offensive geniuses" are on theirs....AND....he runs one of the best programs in the league in terms of consistent high player development and cohesion? 

Fair counter point, BUT would you rather put your eggs in Josh Allen’s basket or in any defense’s basket?   All I have to do is look at the SB winning teams (for that matter participants), it’s offensively lead teams that are there and winning.  I know people will try to claim Belicheck was a D guy, but the offense didn’t change regardless of who was calling the plays, we all know it was his system and Brady was the other component to that who was basically a coach on the field.   Aside from all of that if you measure Josh Allen vs the continued failures of the Defensive “genius’” defense in clutch moments in the playoffs and I would rather have the offense stay consistent. 

McD has done an incredible job with what he has been working with, I am very impressed.  Josh has been forced to work with multiple coordinators because he continues to make them look great, that’s a recipe for zero consistency.

Daboll made Head Coach because Josh Allen made him look good. Today he is struggling.

When teams look at Brady, they will wonder if it is another "Josh Allen making him look good" situation. Teams will want to see more of a track record from Brady to get over that concern. I don't expect Brady to get a HC gig until 2026.

• Agree 1

I think Brady will be here at least another year.  Maybe if the Bills go all the way to and win the Super Bowl, some team might make him an offer.  Not necessarily though.

Even if he gets poached, next man up. This team runs through Josh Allen and will always be a competitor as long as he is healthy and on the team.

Edited by Scott7975

23 hours ago, DCofNC said:

This is the problem with a defensive coach and a superstar QB.

It's a concern, but New England did pretty well for a couple years with that combination.  I also think Brady is self aware enough to know that one very good year as an OC doesn't mean you're ready to run the whole show. For example, Daboll's resume was arguably much stronger than Brady's and he certainly hasn't killed it with the Giants.

I thought Brady was fantastic vs. Jags. He was good vs. Phins and Cards. 

Let's not forget we have Josh Allen. He's the one who allows Brady to go from pounding the rock to spreading the field.

Beane and McD also deserve credit for elevating expectations. Beane signed some quality vets in Hollins, Samuel, Edwards. He drafted a bunch of guys who have already shown they belong, some of which (Coleman, Davis) are already mainstays. Recent picks (Benford, Shakir, Brown, Rousseau) are playing great. McD deserves credit for coaching up the defense to stuff a pretty good running team in Jags minus both our starting LBs and our starting NB who functions as our third LBer. 

Lots of credit to go around.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This year does feel different because we're not relying on the big play.  

I wonder how much Diggs f***** Dorsey's game planning and play calling just to satisfy him?

Well when you are almost being forced into designing 8+ plays per game for one person , sometimes 10+... It literally takes efficiency away from the offense 

Think of it like an engine that needs to be well oiled to stay functionable... Forcing it to one person over and over again when other professionals are getting paid to stop him is like clogging your engine with sludge 

Josh being able to spread it out over 8 9 guys every game and not worry about forcing it to one guy is like a beautiful engine with fully synthetic oil 

No friction there baby

• Awesome! (+1) 1