Joe Brady has changed the season's expectations

Inigo Montoya

Every year before the season starts my wife who is a Bills fan by marriage, and causal football fan overall, asks me if the Bills are going to be good this year.  She has suffered through more "husband in a bad mood Sundays" than she should have in the 27 years we've been married.

I told her I didn't think the Bills would do great this year, we might make the playoffs, but I didn't think it could be a Super Bowl year.   We were getting our salary cap straight and hopefully Beane was setting the table to start a new run the next few seasons with a younger roster and room to maneuver in the free agency.

Through the first three weeks it looks like I was wrong.  I think if they keep winning, the urgency for them to win a Super Bowl this year increases exponentially for one reason, Joe Brady. 

If the Bills make a deep playoff run, Joe Brady will be a head coach next season.  We will have one year with him here to get over the hump.  I'm not an X's & O's guy but its clear that Brady has designed an offense that is bringing out the best in Josh, can score a lot of points, and win in different ways.  Josh has easy reads, wide open receivers, and a creative and effective running game to support him.  It looks more like an Andy Reid offense than anything we've fielded since Josh arrived.  Teams hoping to find their franchise QB in next year's draft will be lining up to hire Brady. 

After the first three games I have a different outlook, I think this is a team that can make a run and win a Super Bowl.  I also think we better get it done this year because the Brady/Allen collaboration is almost certainly going to be a one and done.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I disagreed strongly with the vast majority of the board who thought the Bills were not a SB contender esp after the injuries started piling up. As long as Allen is here we will always have a shot. This team is getting younger and more athletic and will continue to do so in the next year or two with a plethora of draft picks and money coming off the books 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Every year before the season starts my wife who is a Bills fan by marriage, and causal football fan overall, asks me if the Bills are going to be good this year.  She has suffered through more "husband in a bad mood Sundays" than she should have in the 27 years we've been married.

I told her I didn't think the Bills would do great this year, we might make the playoffs, but I didn't think it could be a Super Bowl year.   We were getting our salary cap straight and hopefully Beane was setting the table to start a new run the next few seasons with a younger roster and room to maneuver in the free agency.

Through the first three weeks it looks like I was wrong.  I think if they keep winning, the urgency for them to win a Super Bowl this year increases exponentially for one reason, Joe Brady. 

If the Bills make a deep playoff run, Joe Brady will be a head coach next season.  We will have one year with him here to get over the hump.  I'm not an X's & O's guy but its clear that Brady has designed an offense that is bringing out the best in Josh, can score a lot of points, and win in different ways.  Josh has easy reads, wide open receivers, and a creative and effective running game to support him.  It looks more like an Andy Reid offense than anything we've fielded since Josh arrived.  Teams hoping to find their franchise QB in next year's draft will be lining up to hire Brady. 

After the first three games I have a different outlook, I think this is a team that can make a run and win a Super Bowl.  I also think we better get it done this year because the Brady/Allen collaboration is almost certainly going to be a one and done.

Well if Brady is going to be gone that quickly,  we better have a guy ready who knows Joe's playbook extensively.  I just wish Josh could have the stability of the same OC for a few years. Patrick has Andy forever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I suspect that Brady won't be to quick to take a head coaching job unless it' the perfect spot.  He was promoted from college to be an NFL OC way to quickly and he wasn't ready.  He suffered through getting thrown under the bus and has to consider himself lucky to have landed with Buffalo.  I doubt he makes the same mistake again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well if Brady is going to be gone that quickly,  we better have a guy ready who knows Joe's playbook extensively.  I just wish Josh could have the stability of the same OC for a few years. Patrick has Andy forever.

This is the problem with a defensive coach and a superstar QB.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect that Brady won't be to quick to take a head coaching job unless it' the perfect spot.  He was promoted from college to be an NFL OC way to quickly and he wasn't ready.  He suffered through getting thrown under the bus and has to consider himself lucky to have landed with Buffalo.  I doubt he makes the same mistake again. 

This right here ^^^

8 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

This is the problem with a defensive coach and a superstar QB.

One just makes Brady the “assistant head coach “ and give him a big ass raise,  just saying. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Saxum said:

Which is a mistake by him since Bengals will not be able to afford good enough team.

Yep. We are seeing what was entirely predictable for the Bengals. Keeping that team together requires paying people and then being willing to give them new money each year to spread cap hits and Mike Brown is cheap. 

On 9/24/2024 at 8:22 PM, Bockeye said:

Brady will be headed to CIN for a Burrow reunion next season  if they keep losing.  

On 9/24/2024 at 11:35 PM, billsbackto81 said:

My biggest fear is that Cincy goes into free fall, misses the postseason, fires their coach and gets Brady for HC so he can have the LSU band back together. 

I agree, we need to keep him happy at all costs.

There is no way that Mike Brown fires Zac Taylor. This is for two reasons. First of all, Mike Brown won't pay people to not work for him. He's actually said this. Also, he is loyal to a fault. Remember, he kept Marvin Lewis for 15 YEARS and Taylor took them to a Superbowl. Zac Taylor is HC in Cincinnati until either Mike Brown dies or he quits.

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. We are seeing what was entirely predictable for the Bengals. Keeping that team together requires paying people and then being willing to give them new money each year to spread cap hits and Mike Brown is cheap. 

He's not cheap. He's relatively poor for an NFL owner. He doesn't have the cash to pay signing bonuses. 

Edited by Low Positive
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

If we continue at this pace, Pegula should keep throwing money at Brady till he stays. Pay him head coach money. No cap for coordinators and Pegula won't miss a few extra million.

Honestly not a bad idea…a coordinator getting a head coaching job of a bad franchise is almost always a career death sentence so he may not want to take the risk 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

My biggest fear is that Cincy goes into free fall, misses the postseason, fires their coach and gets Brady for HC so he can have the LSU band back together. 

I agree, we need to keep him happy at all costs.

I'm just not that sure this is as attractive as you think it might be. Sure he gets back with Joe Burrow and a lot of cast from LSU but it's not like the situation in Cinn is that great. Ownership is cheap and they're already casting off their defensive picks to make room for Burrow's contract (which hasn't even started yet) and they haven't even paid Chase yet. I just don't know that Brady will want to go to a franchise that doesn't seem that serious about winning, sure Burrow makes them relevant and they had some great players to achieve success but to sustain it you need a great organization behind it and man the Bengals just ain't it.

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

There is no way that Mike Brown fires Zac Taylor. This is for to reason. First of all, Mike Brown won't pay people to not work for him. He's actually said this. Also, he is loyal to a fault. Remember, he kept Marvin Lewis for 15 YEARS and Taylor took them to a Superbowl. Zac Taylor is HC in Cincinnati until either Mike Brown dies or he quits.

He's not cheap. He's relatively poor for an NFL owner. He doesn't have the cash to pay signing bonuses. 

He is cheap. His relative lack of financial clout is the reason he is cheap but he is cheap. 

I love what Brady is doing so far. He has surpassed my expectations, and I love the the plays he draws up, the way he calls games in the moment, and the way he uses his players to his strengths. All indications are that he's also a good listener, good collaborator, and high character person.

I'll admit I've fallen victim to the "he'll be gone after a year or two anyway" talk, BUT...

I would be remiss not to mention this: Let's see how he does as defenses start to get more tape on what he likes to do. Many coordinators start out hot and then once opponents get some idea of what they like doing and how to defend it, they have no counter-punch. Heck, even Ken Dorsey's first few games as full time Bills offensive coordinator had the team looking pretty sharp and putting up points. Then opposing defenses caught up, and he never countered in his remaining time here.

I think Brady is brighter and better at calling offense than Dorsey, and I have faith that he WILL have some counter-punches, particularly since his offense is so multiple and seems to be able to beat you in a myriad of ways. Still, until he proves that his offense is here to stay, I fear the "somebody will poach him" talk is premature.

To wit: Here's a thread from October 1st last year, posted coming off of 37, 38, and 48 point performances from the offense.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1