Week 4 - Bills at Ravens Game Week Thread

BillsFan619

Offensively, for the Bills, I think the game plan is probably similar to the game plan versus the Jaguars.  The Bills are not going to try to pound the ball in the run game.  On defense, I really don't know, except they will try and use discipline in gap control in the run game.  The Ravens will be able to run the ball, but Buffalo will try and limit it so Henry and Jackson don't have a bunch of long runs.  If Buffalo can go up a couple scores early, it will put a lot of pressure on Baltimore to pass more and run less.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The Ravens have had a lot of drives stall because of penalties. I see the Bills defense making them jumpy. They do have some very nice weapons, but so far haven't really been able to put it all together. Going to be hard to do against a Bills defense that has a very good attacking DL. If the Ravens are going to be as dominant as last year, they haven't really shown it yet. I don't think the Dallas game is much of a barometer.

As for that Ravens defense, they have blown leads multiple times this year and almost did against the Cowboys too. I just don't think they are on the same level as the Bills. No offense is clicking like ours and it's going to continue, because they are giving up too many big plays. They have a good DLine, but there are problems on the back end. They have given up more yards than any team in the NFL so far. Being good at stopping the run is good and all, but that isn't enough. They have given up 16 plays of 20+ yards, also last place.

There have been some who mentioned that this is a good barometer game to see where the Bills are and honestly, I'm not sure that's true. They look like a decent offense, scoring 20, 23 and 28 in three games. Defensively, not so much. This just looks like a game where the Bills continue to roll.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So this Rosengarten (wasn't he the kid in The Rookie of Year?), making is first start at Right Tackle and will have to go up against Rousseau and Von?

I like this match up.

You're thinking of Runamucker.  Or was it Gardenhoser?

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, jcamm1966 said:

I'm not as confident as most everybody here, seems like a back to earth game for us . Ravens need this alot more than us , just a bad spot Sunday nite , got a bad feeling on this one.

no, the ravens do NOT need it a lot more than the bills do. that's a ridiculous take. the bills go into every game knowing THEY need it a lot more than their opponent does.

ravens need it a lot more than us 🤣

2 hours ago, finn said:

Worst-case scenario: Bills can't establish the run against a stout defensive line, which plays disciplined football and contains Allen in the pocket. That allows a very good pass rush to pressure Allen into less than perfect throws, resulting in at least one interception. Unable to score touchdowns, they rely on Bass, who lets his team down. On the other side, Lamar keeps drives alive with his legs and repeatedly hits Likely, exposing Hamlin and Rapp. Not a blowout, but points slowly accumulate on the Ravens side until time runs out. 

Best case: Brady doesn't even try running into a brick wall, opting instead for short passes to take advantage of a weak Ravens defensive middle. To compensate, the Ravens roll up a safety and Allen starts hitting MVS and Coleman down the field. Frustrated, the Ravens start blitzing, which works once or twice but also allows Allen to escape and run for big gains or hit short throws for big YAC. Meanwhile, Lamar is kept in the pocket, which exposes his mediocre ability to read defenses and throw accurate balls. He makes his usual "Wow" runs and throws, but he's also sacked four times and, after a few productive drives, the Ravens offense stalls. 

I think the second scenario is more likely. Allen is playing peak football, and there's no one receiver the Ravens can key on to shut down the Bills offense. Lamar is flashy, but he folds in the clutch. He  shouldn't have voted MVP once, let alone twice. The Bills, not the Ravens, have the MVP on their team. He'll be the difference in this game. 

Bills 27-17.

I am not going to say their run defense is overrated, but I will say largely untested by good running teams which the Bills are.

Brady will not abandon the run and don't be shocked if we rip off a few, but the Ravens do give up a lot of passing yards and it would be foolish not to lean into our passing game more.

So I expect Brady to run enough to keep their pass rush in check, but I expect we will probably skew towards the pass.

If we do get up on them a few scores I could see us slowing things down and grinding out 1st downs to give our D time to recover.

Baltimore's OC makes you defend a lot of sideline to sideline stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

Just watched the Ravens-Cowboys highlights. I think the big story of that game is how pathetic the Cowboys defense played.

- Allowed 2 big catches for 35+ YAC on the first two drives that led to scores.

- Spent the next 1.5 quarters completely unwilling to tackle. It’s like they didn’t want to be there.

They didn’t make Jackson complete a single difficult throw the entire game. Just totally sad defense there.

I’m hoping the Bills contain the run game, clog the middle and dare Jackson to throw to the outside or down the field. If the Bills get a 10 point lead at any point then this game will be over. Jackson cannot throw his way out of a deficit. 

Bass: 5/6 XP: 13/14

Tucker: 5/8 XP: 8/8

Bass and Tucker both have missed a 40+ and Tucker is 0/2 on 50 yarders this year. He is 1 for 7 on 50 yard FGs. 

Just now, DapperCam said:

I’m hoping the Bills contain the run game, clog the middle and dare Jackson to throw to the outside or down the field. If the Bills get a 10 point lead at any point then this game will be over. Jackson cannot throw his way out of a deficit. 

This is how the Bills have been successful against Jackson. Parsons also played 0 contain. Lamar had a 10 yard run every time he pulled it because Parsons was so bad. That is not going to happen with the Bills. McDermott is going to beat it into the DEs: do not allow Lamar to break contain

5 hours ago, finn said:

Worst-case scenario: Bills can't establish the run against a stout defensive line, which plays disciplined football and contains Allen in the pocket. That allows a very good pass rush to pressure Allen into less than perfect throws, resulting in at least one interception. Unable to score touchdowns, they rely on Bass, who lets his team down. On the other side, Lamar keeps drives alive with his legs and repeatedly hits Likely, exposing Hamlin and Rapp. Not a blowout, but points slowly accumulate on the Ravens side until time runs out. 

Best case: Brady doesn't even try running into a brick wall, opting instead for short passes to take advantage of a weak Ravens defensive middle. To compensate, the Ravens roll up a safety and Allen starts hitting MVS and Coleman down the field. Frustrated, the Ravens start blitzing, which works once or twice but also allows Allen to escape and run for big gains or hit short throws for big YAC. Meanwhile, Lamar is kept in the pocket, which exposes his mediocre ability to read defenses and throw accurate balls. He makes his usual "Wow" runs and throws, but he's also sacked four times and, after a few productive drives, the Ravens offense stalls. 

I think the second scenario is more likely. Allen is playing peak football, and there's no one receiver the Ravens can key on to shut down the Bills offense. Lamar is flashy, but he folds in the clutch. He  shouldn't have voted MVP once, let alone twice. The Bills, not the Ravens, have the MVP on their team. He'll be the difference in this game. 

Bills 27-17.

In battle planning in the army, we used to wargame best case, worst case, and most likely scenarios.  I agree with finn that the worst case scenario is not the most likely scenario.  It sounds nice: Bottle up the run game and let the passing rush dogs loose. 

But that plan didn't result in victories in either of the Raven's first two games and won't  against the Bills. 

Their pass  D is giving up 300+ yards per game and 8.1 yards per attempt.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jcamm1966 said:

I'm not as confident as most everybody here, seems like a back to earth game for us . Ravens need this alot more than us , just a bad spot Sunday nite , got a bad feeling on this one.

Hahahahahaha but have been reading this garbage for the first 3 weeks of the season! I don’t mean by the same poster, but it makes me laugh when I constantly read on here “I’m not confident in this game” or “it’s have a bad feeling”

then the Bills go out and spank their opponents by like 35 each time 

51 minutes ago, galept said:

Feels like a coin flip. One way or another we'll have a ton more clarity by Monday.

2 and 1 of the next 3 I will be very happy

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Hahahahahaha but have been reading this garbage for the first 3 weeks of the season! I don’t mean by the same poster, but it makes me laugh when I constantly read on here “I’m not confident in this game” or “it’s have a bad feeling”

then the Bills go out and spank their opponents by like 35 each time 

I hope u are right

Something I feel is going overlooked - Tyler Bass.

Many of the predictions, betting odds & simulations I'm seeing for this game come down to 2 or 3 points. That's going to require hitting those XPs & FGs!

Remember how we won the last game? Tied 20 - 20 with 0:03 left on the clock & a chip shot FG for the win. Do you trust Bass to make that kick today?

It was also raining last time, so hopefully the weather is better (or I'd be even more concerned). Just worried this might be the first game where the kicking woes come back to hurt us.

5 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Actually; Bass is better than Tucker. Tucker is cooked from long range. I'd still give them an advantage at TE. WR1 too: Flowers is good... though the WR core as a whole isn't special. 

Bass better than Tucker?

that’s a bold call there, Cotton. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Wish the media had something else they could focus on. If I were Diggs and Allen I would be tired of this forced narrative too.

Did Diggs want out? Probably, and what is the big deal if he did?

He probably saw the direction the offense was heading - away from featuring boundry receiver play and being as proud and competitive as he is he wanted out.

We all know there are players that want the ball, or the puck, whatever and the game is not too big for them. And there are times you need someone like that as part of your team formula.

We all know there were plenty of games where Diggs was the only receiver answering the bell.

Players move on and there are too many folk out there who act like that wierd stalking Ex that need a restraining order.

I will agree with Eisen that the offense is playing more free and with more balance, but I think that is just a continuation of what Brady started last season.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Wish the media had something else they could focus on. If I were Diggs and Allen I would be tired of this forced narrative too.

Did Diggs want out? Probably, and what is the big deal if he did?

He probably saw the direction the offense was heading - away from featuring boundry receiver play and being as proud and competitive as he is he wanted out.

We all know there are players that want the ball, or the puck, whatever and the game is not too big for them. And there are times you need someone like that as part of your team formula.

We all know there were plenty of games where Diggs was the only receiver answering the bell.

Players move on and there are too many folk out there who act like that wierd stalking Ex that need a restraining order.

I will agree with Eisen that the offense is playing more free and with more balance, but I think that is just a continuation of what Brady started last season.

My Lord wait till next week, every show will devote 7 hours a day to the Bills Diggs reunion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1