Week 4 - Bills at Ravens Game Week Thread

BillsFan619

At what positions are the Ravens actually better than us for this weekend?  Off the top of my head, I’m thinking it’d be LB, Safety and Kicker.  Where else?

I’m thinking we have distinct advantages in the trenches and at TE.  Probably close to a bunch of pushes between RB, WR and CB.  And I’d take Josh over Lamar all day.

If this is a fair assessment, thinking we have an overall advantage, before considering the home field element.  Anyone see the tale of the tape differently?

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

At what positions are the Ravens actually better than us for this weekend?  Off the top of my head, I’m thinking it’d be LB, Safety and Kicker.  Where else?

I’m thinking we have distinct advantages in the trenches and at TE.  Probably close to a bunch of pushes between RB, WR and CB.  And I’d take Josh over Lamar all day.

If this is a fair assessment, thinking we have an overall advantage, before considering the home field element.  Anyone see the tale of the tape differently?

Likely and Andrew’s have been more of an impact player than Kincaid and knox

It’s about time we see a Kelce like all pro performance from our #1 TE that we traded up in the first round to get. 

Not Kincaid fault

but it’s about time he’s featured / fed and to absolutely abuse a team for once 

Edited by balln

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

At what positions are the Ravens actually better than us for this weekend?  Off the top of my head, I’m thinking it’d be LB, Safety and Kicker.

Actually; Bass is better than Tucker. Tucker is cooked from long range. I'd still give them an advantage at TE. WR1 too: Flowers is good... though the WR core as a whole isn't special. 

• Disagree 1

15 hours ago, Dan said:

Y’all need to watch the clip above about .. Gap integrity.   

If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say Ed has been maintaining his gaps, closing running/passing lanes and not being asked to  get after the QB and make all the stat inducing plays.  Those game plans and results may come.   

Game 1 it was contain rush against Murray. Not sure how anyone can say he wasn’t a force in that Miami game. He set up the cook team by getting a TFL and sack on 3rd /4th down. Cook scampers to really put them in a hole next play. Last game the tackles were the weakness of the OL so they attacked outside. 

this game though has got me juicing for ed. Interior of that ravens line has some issues (though I like linderbaum but he’s got an injury) and penetration has been how McD has lowed Henry down in the past. I expect ed to have a great game. 

also expect us to drop a safety down and play more cover 3 this week. Let benford Douglas and a safety take care of the deep and create havoc in the middle and underneath by disguising where the zones are. 

Offensively it’s an interesting matchup cause their iOL is so good. Think we’ll need to stretch them wide if we want to run the ball. But realistically we probably play 11 more than we have to date and attack the middle of their coverage. 

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Game 1 it was contain rush against Murray. Not sure how anyone can say he wasn’t a force in that Miami game. He set up the cook team by getting a TFL and sack on 3rd /4th down. Cook scampers to really put them in a hole next play. Last game the tackles were the weakness of the OL so they attacked outside. 

this game though has got me juicing for ed. Interior of that ravens line has some issues (though I like linderbaum but he’s got an injury) and penetration has been how McD has lowed Henry down in the past. I expect ed to have a great game. 

also expect us to drop a safety down and play more cover 3 this week. Let benford Douglas and a safety take care of the deep and create havoc in the middle and underneath by disguising where the zones are. 

Offensively it’s an interesting matchup cause their iOL is so good. Think we’ll need to stretch them wide if we want to run the ball. But realistically we probably play 11 more than we have to date and attack the middle of their coverage. 

I don’t think you can leave Hamlin in the middle of the field alone. Hes too slow and too slow to react.  Rasuul is awesome but does not have the foot speed either. 

2 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

I've been strangely calm since Brady took over last season, I expect the same this week. McDermott has had Lamar's number for a while now. Good test , let's go. 

This is a tough matchup for us with just what they do well and what defenses Babich has rolled with to date and the kind of personnel we have.

Baltimore could easily be that patient team that can work you with the runs and behind the sticks in the shallow zones to drag a game out and keep it close, but we could cede yards and have success if we can tighten up in the red zone and just keep them out of the EZ limiting them to FGs.

I like Allen's chances better against their D, and if they cannot match score for score we could potentiallly get this game out of reach for them, but I think they drag it out to limit his possessions and I don't see them abandoning their run game.

I am more curious than nervous as I think we match up well vs most teams we would face, but this is an outlier.

The Titans with Henry used to give us problems and now sprinkle in a dual-threat option QB.

1 hour ago, balln said:

Likely and Andrew’s have been more of an impact player than Kincaid and knox

It’s about time we see a Kelce like all pro performance from our #1 TE that we traded up in the first round to get. 

Not Kincaid fault

but it’s about time he’s featured / fed and to absolutely abuse a team for once 

Nobody is getting force fed in this offense.

The Bills will focus on defensive soft spots, not on individuals.

If Baltimore brackets Kincaid like other teams have, Allen will look elsewhere first.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Does anyone else notice how much better Allen is at those super fast sideways passes?  Those are typical Mahomes throws where they get the ball in the hands of the WR quickly to make a play.  He's been throwing this pass to Shakir and it's being executed much faster and much more accurately. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Actually, 2 of their starting LBs from last year are gone. The LBs coach is now the defensive coordinator and those new LBs have been getting burned on pass plays. TEs have had 95 and 98 yards on passing plays against them. A weakness that I see Josh exploiting. Presnap motion is going to keep them guessing all game.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I will say that the run defense (to my admittedly untrained eye) has not been that great. The defense is allowing almost 4.7 yards per carry, which is 22nd in the league. In all three games, RBs have had some success running the ball against us -- even against the Jags Etienne picked up over 6 yards per carry. The good news is that the Bills offense has been so dominant that the opponents had to abandon the run early.

One interesting thing to observe is that while the Ravens' run DEFENSE is tops in the league, their run OFFENSE has also been tops in the league averaging over 5.8 yards per carry. I am sure much of that can be attributed to Lamar's own rushing abilities.

You can bet that the Ravens are going to stay committed to the run, and if the Bills' own run game is stifled Josh may have to put the team on his back and win via the passing game. I have faith in the team, but this is not a great match-up for them. Bottom line, this will be a great test for the Bills.

I agree with the bolded for the most part.  They have John Harbaugh for a coach and King Henry and Lamar in the backfield.

But what happens if we get up double digits in the second  half?

Worst-case scenario: Bills can't establish the run against a stout defensive line, which plays disciplined football and contains Allen in the pocket. That allows a very good pass rush to pressure Allen into less than perfect throws, resulting in at least one interception. Unable to score touchdowns, they rely on Bass, who lets his team down. On the other side, Lamar keeps drives alive with his legs and repeatedly hits Likely, exposing Hamlin and Rapp. Not a blowout, but points slowly accumulate on the Ravens side until time runs out. 

Best case: Brady doesn't even try running into a brick wall, opting instead for short passes to take advantage of a weak Ravens defensive middle. To compensate, the Ravens roll up a safety and Allen starts hitting MVS and Coleman down the field. Frustrated, the Ravens start blitzing, which works once or twice but also allows Allen to escape and run for big gains or hit short throws for big YAC. Meanwhile, Lamar is kept in the pocket, which exposes his mediocre ability to read defenses and throw accurate balls. He makes his usual "Wow" runs and throws, but he's also sacked four times and, after a few productive drives, the Ravens offense stalls. 

I think the second scenario is more likely. Allen is playing peak football, and there's no one receiver the Ravens can key on to shut down the Bills offense. Lamar is flashy, but he folds in the clutch. He  shouldn't have voted MVP once, let alone twice. The Bills, not the Ravens, have the MVP on their team. He'll be the difference in this game. 

Bills 27-17.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Sunday night forecast

Sun 29 | Day

75°

24%

ENE9 mph

Cloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High around 75F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

Sun 29 | Night

65°

37%

NE8 mph

Rain showers early with overcast skies late. Low near 65F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

So this Rosengarten (wasn't he the kid in The Rookie of Year?), making is first start at Right Tackle and will have to go up against Rousseau and Von?

I like this match up.

• Like (+1) 1