Is this the best coaching we have seen in the JA era?

Success

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Who's the most important player on the team?

That doesn't mean you need an offensive coach just because it's Josh 

Bill belichick and Tom Brady are the greatest Duo ever and one is a defensive guru 

The New England dynasty won the same way Bill belichick beat the bills in the super bowl with the Giants... Great defensive game plans basically week in and week out for 20 years .. neutralizing opposing team's best weapons and giving Tom Brady just enough to win

Bill belichick had their defense on lock year in and year out which makes playing quarterback easier when you only need to score a couple times a game to win 

No quarterback is winning consistently if you have to put up 35 a game

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, mannc said:

That's why, all things being equal, it's better to have an "offensive" head coach, like Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan or Sean McVay.  You don't have to worry about your offensive mastermind being poached by other teams because they are under contract and are already head coaches.    

I agree and I don’t agree. 

The best thing is to have a good staff and keep them around as long as possible. 

As great as Andy Reid is, I don’t think the Chiefs has as many rings if Spags get poached. Lucky for them, he’s already failed as an HC and doesn’t seem that interested in leaving to coach a bottom feeder.

The Lions have an OC who doesn’t seem too keen on leaving. Good for them. 

Even the Pats. BB was the defensive system. They had McDaniels, lost him when he got poached, brought him back when he got fired. He was their OC for 13 years combined. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That doesn't mean you need an offensive coach just because it's Josh 

Bill belichick and Tom Brady are the greatest Duo ever and one is a defensive guru 

The New England dynasty won the same way Bill belichick beat the bills in the super bowl with the Giants... Great defensive game plans basically week in and week out for 20 years .. neutralizing opposing team's best weapons and giving Tom Brady just enough to win

Bill belichick had their defense on lock year in and year out which makes playing quarterback easier when you only need to score a couple times a game to win 

No quarterback is winning consistently if you have to put up 35 a game

McDermott isn't Bill belichick 

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

McDermott isn't Bill belichick 

Bill belichick didn't win super bowls in Cleveland either ..  he had a guy named Lawrence Taylor the greatest defensive player ever with the Giants

He needed a guy that could help him get things done with the Giants and New England

Nobody does it alone... Patrick mahomes Tom Brady Andy Reid Bill belichick Brett favre.. it takes a village 

It takes all 53 people and coaching staff to win 

Look at Seans winning percentage.. he's a lot closer to the top than the bottom of NFL coaches 

And his turnaround of the bills franchise which was considered a joke should be studied

McDermott in football circles is literally considered upper echelon and he is one of the most respected coaches in the game 

He was turning this franchise around before Josh Allen was here

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Everyone really underestimates the value of luck in the postseason.  The Chiefs have had more than their share and it’s time for the tide to turn.

💯-  that’s why I keep talking about it.  Luck isn’t the only reason they’ve won so much, but they wouldn’t have won as much if they hadn’t had more good luck than bad. 

8 hours ago, Success said:

For starters, McDermott has done a great job this year as a whole. We lost a lot of big names, and the consensus nationally was that we were going to take a step back.  We weren't sure what our identity would be.  In pretty short order, this team looks like the best in the league.

McD has gotten a lot of criticism in the past, but has everyone been watching the other games? There is a LOT of bad coaching in the league right now.  

Then there is the defense. Losing Milano, Bernard & Johnson right out of the gate - and still looking like a top 5 D. They're playing fast, they're hitting hard, I'm not seeing any missed assignments or blown coverages.  This is a swarming, smothering defense.

The offense also looks as good as we've seen.  For starters, we have a run game.  In the pass game, 10 different guys caught passes from Allen yesterday.  I mean, who do you cover if you're an opposing defense?  Brady is mixing it up beautifully, and getting everyone involved.

I have a lot of faith in our current staff.  It feels like we finally have the coaching we need to get that elusive title.

This right here ^^^

Several folk here have harped on the receiver room being all jags, and not having a “Diggs” this year, saying who is going to draw the double teams, blah blah blah, and several of us retorted with a functioning run game, combined with a group of guys who actually catch the damn ball, that now opponents have to cover everyone, and that they can’t concentrate on “ that one guy” which will create single coverages that Allen can and will capitalize on, and low and behold, that’s exactly what is happening, we are running the ball, and completing high percentage passes, in the short to medium range to every ball catcher on the team, and getting chunk yardage doing it.

We have a OC and QB that are in cahoots with each other doing an updated version of the Belicheck Brady patriots offense that feasted on  high percentage play calling, and just ripped the heart out of teams for how many years?? 

We have to credit our HC & GM for spending resources on an O-line with depth that is a huge part of making this happen, and kudos to Babich and McDermott for making our defense the force that it is. I really believe that we may very well be seeing a special season unfold in front of us if we can maintain a healthy team, now granted we are likely to lose a game or three, and that doesn’t mean we gotta fire everyone, it means we lost a few games nothing more, I don’t know about all y'all, but I see a large amount of promise and potential this season, take a deep breath and buckle up, it’s gonna be one hell of a ride!

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Success said:

For starters, McDermott has done a great job this year as a whole. We lost a lot of big names, and the consensus nationally was that we were going to take a step back.  We weren't sure what our identity would be.  In pretty short order, this team looks like the best in the league.

McD has gotten a lot of criticism in the past, but has everyone been watching the other games? There is a LOT of bad coaching in the league right now.  

Then there is the defense. Losing Milano, Bernard & Johnson right out of the gate - and still looking like a top 5 D. They're playing fast, they're hitting hard, I'm not seeing any missed assignments or blown coverages.  This is a swarming, smothering defense.

The offense also looks as good as we've seen.  For starters, we have a run game.  In the pass game, 10 different guys caught passes from Allen yesterday.  I mean, who do you cover if you're an opposing defense?  Brady is mixing it up beautifully, and getting everyone involved.

I have a lot of faith in our current staff.  It feels like we finally have the coaching we need to get that elusive title.

I think it’s easily the best.  McDermott seems to have grown into the CEO as head coach very nicely.  The two coordinators are young, smart and bring new ideas.  They also can relate to the players on the roster.   Then you have some of the assistants - like Aaron Kromer (OL), Rob Boras (TE), Al Holcomb (LB) and Jamal Addai (DB) - who are doing a great job w/ player development.  

What’s most encouraging is that this team is ahead of the trends in the NFL on both offense and defense rather than chasing them

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Gotta give credit to how well the offensive line has come together. Kromer doing a great job. Line kept Josh clean all night.

Kromer is the one guy on the coaching staff that I feel confident in saying he is the very best at his job in the entire league. For a style of offense that really relies on its OL, we are extremely lucky to have him. I worry that if Brady gets hired as head coach somewhere he will take Kromer with him as OC.

• Like (+1) 1

This is something we really wont know until January.  I'm not usually one of those guys that acts like you have to wait for a superbowl win to admit your team is good but... The Bills have been good every year. The D has been playing well every year with key injuries or aging players. The offense is doing more with less kind of because they traded their star but IMO the Bills built versatile and also have better role players.  Even Davis was just a role player when he was here.  Now our role players are actually good.

One thing I will say is that this team is finally playing the way McD wants it to play.  Able to run the ball when needed.  Able to pass the ball when needed.  Able to play small offense without having to have the super hero Josh big play as a normal play.  Also the D making stops when needed and complimenting the offense... when the offense scores, the D has kept the lead by making stops. When the D makes a stop the offense scores. Thats complimentary football.  So far so good but we havent really played a good defense yet. We havent played an elite team yet.  Lets see how these next few weeks go.

Edited by Scott7975

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Even Davis was just a role player when he was here.  Now our role players are actually good.

Also our role players are actually just playing roles now. I still contend that Gabe Davis's best year was as a rookie in 2020 where he was doing nothing but taking advantage of broken coverage downfield and making sideline catches against DBs far down the depth chart. We tried to make him a #2 WR and it just didn't work. Mack Hollins isn't being asked to be a #2 WR. He's being asked to make 1 catch a game and otherwise block his tail off. Shakir isn't being asked to be Cooper Kupp, he's being asked to make a few catches in space and create with his legs.

Nothing too complicated about why our offense has been successful. Everyone is being asked to do only what they do well and we are actually gameplanning against each individual opponent. I feel like 80% of coaches somehow miss these two simple ingredients. Doesn't hurt that we have an all time QB playing at the top of his game but credit where credit is due to Brady for getting Allen to play this well in a style that you wouldn't think naturally suits his skill set.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Kromer is the one guy on the coaching staff that I feel confident in saying he is the very best at his job in the entire league. For a style of offense that really relies on its OL, we are extremely lucky to have him. I worry that if Brady gets hired as head coach somewhere he will take Kromer with him as OC.

Kromer is one of the best at his job. I don’t know he has OC aspirations though? Didn’t realize he was OC for the Bears in 2013/14.  Cutler as his QB and got some heat for publicly ripping him. Don’t see any other OC experience for him.

I wouldn’t be concerned he’s the guy Brady would go after. Figure he might reach out to a guy like Shea Tierney before Kromer.

15 hours ago, Sweats said:

Everyone's been complaining over the past couple of years that there's not enough motion and play action.......last night there was so much going on that even i didn't know what play we were calling.

Beautiful stuff, man.

We haven't seen. a single reverse sweep or a naked bootleg yet.  Looking for those to keep those defense off-balance in the coming weeks.  Our next three games are 

*. On the Road

*. Against tough opponents 

* with great defense that incudes pass rushers 

* QBs that can make plays

It is going to be a DOG FIGHT on National TV.