Is this the best coaching we have seen in the JA era?

Success

For starters, McDermott has done a great job this year as a whole. We lost a lot of big names, and the consensus nationally was that we were going to take a step back.  We weren't sure what our identity would be.  In pretty short order, this team looks like the best in the league.

McD has gotten a lot of criticism in the past, but has everyone been watching the other games? There is a LOT of bad coaching in the league right now.  

Then there is the defense. Losing Milano, Bernard & Johnson right out of the gate - and still looking like a top 5 D. They're playing fast, they're hitting hard, I'm not seeing any missed assignments or blown coverages.  This is a swarming, smothering defense.

The offense also looks as good as we've seen.  For starters, we have a run game.  In the pass game, 10 different guys caught passes from Allen yesterday.  I mean, who do you cover if you're an opposing defense?  Brady is mixing it up beautifully, and getting everyone involved.

I have a lot of faith in our current staff.  It feels like we finally have the coaching we need to get that elusive title.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone's been complaining over the past couple of years that there's not enough motion and play action.......last night there was so much going on that even i didn't know what play we were calling.

Beautiful stuff, man.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No doubt.

Following the same philosophy he instills in his players, McDermott is always looking to improve himself and his staff to be the best version of himself.

I think he's got the best 2 coordinators since 2017, and likely some very good position coaches also. 

Hoping they'll be able to raise the Lombardi before his coordinators start getting interviews.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

So far, but we only really find out when it counts, in the playoffs.  We OWN the Chefs regular season.  Playoffs, not so much. 

And, September is usually a liar, especially in the current “no one plays their starters in the preseason” era.

It is absolutely imperative to get off to a strong start but there is a LONG way to go before we can throw out superlatives with confidence.

24 minutes ago, Success said:

For starters, McDermott has done a great job this year as a whole. We lost a lot of big names, and the consensus nationally was that we were going to take a step back.  We weren't sure what our identity would be.  In pretty short order, this team looks like the best in the league.

McD has gotten a lot of criticism in the past, but has everyone been watching the other games? There is a LOT of bad coaching in the league right now.  

Then there is the defense. Losing Milano, Bernard & Johnson right out of the gate - and still looking like a top 5 D. They're playing fast, they're hitting hard, I'm not seeing any missed assignments or blown coverages.  This is a swarming, smothering defense.

The offense also looks as good as we've seen.  For starters, we have a run game.  In the pass game, 10 different guys caught passes from Allen yesterday.  I mean, who do you cover if you're an opposing defense?  Brady is mixing it up beautifully, and getting everyone involved.

I have a lot of faith in our current staff.  It feels like we finally have the coaching we need to get that elusive title.

I was going to start a similar thread. These last two games especially have been an absolute coaching clinic. McD and co. Have totally out coached their opponents, including one on a super short week.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have to say yes.

McD defenses are great, this year playing very well.  Yes, Babich is the DC, but gotta believe McD has a big voice in it.

Brady had a great game last night. The first series he used motion to manufacture mismatches and get guys in the best positions possible.  Did such a great job creating plays against the jags defense. 

Gotta give credit to how well the offensive line has come together. Kromer doing a great job. Line kept Josh clean all night.

• Like (+1) 1

A football season is divided in 5 mini seasons imo.  sept, oct, nov, dec, jan/feb

the coordinators have us on top of the power rankings with one week left in season one.  

how will they adapt/adjust once the league has a better grasp of what we’re doing and find a couple answers for us?

not too bad for sacrificial lambs.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Everyone's been complaining over the past couple of years that there's not enough motion and play action.......last night there was so much going on that even i didn't know what play we were calling.

Beautiful stuff, man.

I loved our announcers last night, They broke down how Brady does simple things in a complex way. We ran 2 plays in a row, exact same motion and formation. One was a successful pass the next a successful run. Amazing what can happen when you just go to the open person instead of having to force feed egos.

Just now, NewEra said:

A football season is divided in 5 mini seasons imo.  sept, oct, nov, dec, jan/feb

the coordinators have us on top of the power rankings with one week left in season one.  

how will they adapt/adjust once the league has a better grasp of what we’re doing and find a couple answers for us?

not too bad for sacrificial lambs.   

The best part New Era is no one can game plan for a specific thing anymore. We will have some tendencies that need to be adjusted, but do you play to guard Cook?  Jags did that and Allen gutted them.  We can run, we can pass and we don't have a #1 per say, everyone gets the ball.  How the hell do you defend that?

You blitz. Oh but wait we have the #1 pass blocking OL in the NFL and Allen can run and is great against the Blitz period.

The ONLY thing I see stopping us from hoisting the Lombardi in February is injuries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I loved our announcers last night, They broke down how Brady does simple things in a complex way. We ran 2 plays in a row, exact same motion and formation. One was a successful pass the next a successful run. Amazing what can happen when you just go to the open person instead of having to force feed egos.

The best part New Era is no one can game plan for a specific thing anymore. We will have some tendencies that need to be adjusted, but do you play to guard Cook?  Jags did that and Allen gutted them.  We can run, we can pass and we don't have a #1 per say, everyone gets the ball.  How the hell do you defend that?

You blitz. Oh but wait we have the #1 pass blocking OL in the NFL and Allen can run and is great against the Blitz period.

The ONLY thing I see stopping us from hoisting the Lombardi in February is injuries.

You ain’t lying-  but I do believe that the league will uncover a thing or two that will slow us down some.  The adapting to that will decide our season……along with some luck.  

I feel that injuries are the biggest reason we haven’t had at least 1 Lombardi over the past 3 seasons

• Like (+1) 1

I think the coaching has always been a strong suit. At times, some in-game decisions have been questionable. At other times there have been execution issues, which I put on the players. Player development, which is a coaching thing, has always been really strong.

Scheme and playcalling, which is offensive and defensive coordinator specific coaching, does seem stronger this year. I think we have a good couple of coordinators.

However, there will inevitably be challenges in the season. Every team goes through them. Will fans think that the team is poorly coached and ill prepared if we lose a game? The other team's players and coaches get paid the big bucks, too. Sometimes you just get beaten. The Bills always make it close in their losses, which is evidence of good coaching, preparation, and resilience.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You ain’t lying-  but I do believe that the league will uncover a thing or two that will slow us down some.  The adapting to that will decide our season……along with some luck.

Very true. It also remains to be seen how the coaches will adapt once their tendencies are better known, but also when they go up against a really good defense as well.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The ONLY thing I see stopping us from hoisting the Lombardi in February is MORE injuries.

FIFY

Edited by Rhode Island Red

Just now, Rubes said:

Very true. It also remains to be seen how the coaches will adapt once their tendencies are better known, but also when they go up against a really good defense as well.

💯 -  we’ve faced 2 bad defenses and an average Jag D.  Eager to see how we look the next 3 weeks. 

things are great.  I’m very excited to see their vision working just as they had hoped.  But it’s September.  Just hoping we can continue to have more games like last night and stay healthy  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Brady and Babich for president/vice president 

So far this is the best OC/DC Combo Josh has had since he's drafted. And yes I will commend Sean for making this happen. Josh has fully embraced the checkdown and it's working to perfection. 

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Diggs caught 10 balls averaging 9.4 per catch and they still got crushed. Shakir is averaging 12 per catch and has more yards and tied in TD's imagine if we had that cap space 🤩 

1 hour ago, Success said:

Losing Milano, Bernard & Johnson right out of the gate - and still looking like a top 5 D.

What I like about the Bills: every player on the 53 is a starter.* Next man up.

* except, maybe, Trubisky, he's awful