Sean McDermott - DB Whisperer

RoscoeParrish

25 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Babich deserves some flowers as well. We heard all off-season that this guys is smart and a great teacher. The defense is humming while down a starting LB corps, and our all-pro slot corner.

I do wonder if Babich is getting more out of the defense than McD would if he were calling the plays. That’s a great thing to have.

Sad for Kaiir Elam who almost had a pick 6 last night.   McD is extracting so much value from these guys that our first rounder is now a depth piece who would probably be number one corner on a lot of teams.   

56 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cam Lewis and Ingram were undrafted free agents with the bills 

They were not Walk-Ons at the University at Buffalo.. they were scholarship players

Walk-ons for the Bills. Usually that’s how they are described when they are local college kids invited to camp.

7 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Walk-ons for the Bills. Usually that’s how they are described when they are local college kids invited to camp.

It's usually described as undrafted free agent or a camp invite 

Walk on is a college term

I've never heard the term walk on used in the NFL.. cam Lewis signed with the bills as an undrafted free agent , it was not described as walking on

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, bills_fan said:

We didnt have the right players.  A dominant D-line is how the Giants beat Brady in 2 SBs.

Yes anyone who understands basic football knows this. Those who harp the “pinball wizard point machine” concept normally are more interested in entertainment not football. Defense still matters - you have to stop your opponent from scoring more than you in the allotted time! Football is still won by blocking and tackling better than your opponent.

• Agree 1

We are BLESSED with this head coach.  He is top 5 in my honest opinion.

It's mind boggling reading some of the McD haters post irrational, nonsensical crap about how he needs replaced.  It's insanity.   

I had an opportunity to talk football with Steve Tasker one day last year.  I asked him about McD and if the flack the fan based placed upon him was warranted, and he immediately pushed back.  He claimed McD is one of the top NFL coaches around and is respected that way in the league amongst his colleagues. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's usually described as undrafted free agent or a camp invite 

Walk on is a college term

I've never heard the term walk on used in the NFL.. cam Lewis signed with the bills as an undrafted free agent , it was not described as walking on

Fair enough. I saw Thielen described as walking on the Vikings but I didn’t realize he did it by showing up to a rookie tryout.

Just now, RoscoeParrish said:

Fair enough. I saw Thielen described as walking on the Vikings but I didn’t realize he did it by showing up to a rookie tryout.

Yes thielen made the Vikings the same way andresen made the bills

A rookie camp tryout which is the hardest path to the NFL

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

It's mind boggling reading some of the McD haters post irrational, nonsensical crap about how he needs replaced.  It's insanity.   

I had an opportunity to talk football with Steve Tasker one day last year.  I asked him about McD and if the flack the fan based placed upon him was warranted, and he immediately pushed back.  He claimed McD is one of the top NFL coaches around and is respected that way in the league amongst his colleagues. 

Sean is a top 5 coach in the regular season.   

Until his defenses find a way to just simply NOT LOSE IT BY THEMSELVES against KC  in the playoffs...he won't get the credit

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

We are a perennial playoff team - newsflash - you have to get to the playoffs to win a SB. And I guarantee that if McDermott was fired the fire everybody crowd would erupt again very quickly in the new HC, it’s how they are entertained! 

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sean is a top 5 coach in the regular season.   

Until his defenses find a way to just simply NOT LOSE IT BY THEMSELVES against KC  in the playoffs...he won't get the credit

Fair enough

Zone defense in general and Sean McDermott's system in particular places a premium on mental sharpness both to anticipate what receivers and QBs are doing and to coordinate with other defensive players.  Athleticism is always good, but the scheme can still work with players who are average to good athletically.  McDermott has even made do with less than average athletes.  Levi Wallace played a few years for McDermott.  Wallace was underweight and could be pushed around and ran about a 4.7 as a cornerback, yet he managed to start for the Bills because he knew what he was supposed to do.  Buffalo looks for guys who have the football smarts and instinct.  Some can get up to speed quickly (Benford).  Others (Hamlin, Lewis and Ingram) have needed some development time, but McDermott saw something in them that he liked.  I'm glad it paid off.

1 minute ago, Poleshifter said:

I am interested in what safety Lewis Cine can do. A 2nd round pick from Georgia I think.

and our own 2nd rounder Cole Bishop.

Passed up the NYJ for what he believed to be a better path to starting here with the “weak” safety room. Hopefully he sticks around to learn the system - feels like he could blossom. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Zone defense in general and Sean McDermott's system in particular places a premium on mental sharpness both to anticipate what receivers and QBs are doing and to coordinate with other defensive players.  Athleticism is always good, but the scheme can still work with players who are average to good athletically.  McDermott has even made do with less than average athletes.  Levi Wallace played a few years for McDermott.  Wallace was underweight and could be pushed around and ran about a 4.7 as a cornerback, yet he managed to start for the Bills because he knew what he was supposed to do.  Buffalo looks for guys who have the football smarts and instinct.  Some can get up to speed quickly (Benford).  Others (Hamlin, Lewis and Ingram) have needed some development time, but McDermott saw something in them that he liked.  I'm glad it paid off.

Calling somebody like Levi Wallace a less than average athlete is a serious disrespect to him 

The dude went from a walk on to a starting cornerback at Alabama under Nick Saban... The dude is a better athlete than 99% of the world 

He just didn't have the measurables that the NFL looked for in a draftable outside corner... That didn't mean he's not a better athlete than 99% of the people walking 

And a better cornerback than 99% of the world... Less than average athlete can't even play division one football at a skill position like corner

There are thousands of college cornerbacks who don't even sniff the pros... Now if you want to make the disclaimer less than average NFL athlete that is more acceptable

But hes certainly not a less than average athlete for the general population

Edited by Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

I am interested in what safety Lewis Cine can do. A 2nd round pick from Georgia I think.

and our own 2nd rounder Cole Bishop.

Same here. Lewis Cine has very good potential. Given time he could be a starter for us.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bills_fan said:

We didnt have the right players.  A dominant D-line is how the Giants beat Brady in 2 SBs.

and how cinci beat kc

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

I do wonder if Babich is getting more out of the defense than McD would if he were calling the plays. That’s a great thing to have.

or...mcD is getting more out of the team and  his coordinators without having to call the D