Power Rankings: Week 3 “Hail to the King(s), Baby…sometimes” (updated when I can)

dollars 2 donuts

9 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I’m slowing the roll on this narrative.   The teams the Bills beat are 19, 26, and 27 in the first link you posted.   

Go 3-0 over next 3 and I will be more on board.   

Go Bills!

Something we didn’t do well last year was beating the teams we should beat. We just did that three times. The next three are more of a test than the last three, but we are 3-0 and have strung together 10 pretty impressive quarters. 

I’m always afraid of the next game, but I’m pleased with how we look and where we sit. We will not go undefeated, so let’s not all panic when we drop a game. We have a long way to go, and a LOT can happen. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Enjoy the moment Johnny. Buffalo is clicking and have proven they can play with and beat KC, although they've come up short in the postseason.  But as of now, 3 games in, Bills clear Chiefs. 

In the meantime don't be so sensitive and.....

stripes lighten GIF

I thought my joke about your guy on the toilet was lighthearted and kind of funny.   Maybe you gotta toughen up a bit?

To be clear I like what the Bills are doing very much.   Just think it’s early is all and the next 3 road games are tough and will be a much better litmus test of who they are as a team than the last 3 opponents.    Don’t know how that rubbed so many the wrong way.   

The Washington Commanders upset the Cincinnati Bengals and the Buffalo Bills crushed the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday night to put an end to the first three weeks of the season. The big news? We have a new No. 1 team in the Buffalo Bills after their second consecutive impressive performance. As for the Bengals and Jaguars? Keep scrolling. We polled the Pro Football Network staff to compile our Week 4 NFL Power Rankings.

PFN Consensus NFL Power Rankings | Week 4

1) Kansas City Chiefs (3-0; Last Week: 1)

Another close win for the Chiefs, but that keyword is “win” — because that is what they find ways to do. The Chiefs are that rare team that could lose on a given week and still retain their spot atop the power rankings, but earning prime-time road wins are why they are two-time defending champs. What’s the reason they fell in the rankings? The Bills just looked too good. A showdown in Week 11 might decide the top spot in the PFN rankings … and home field in the AFC.

2) Buffalo Bills (3-0; LW: T2)

We do not know what will happen if the Bills and Chiefs meet AGAIN in January, but for the time being, there has not been a more impressive team this young season than the Buffalo Bills. While favorites are falling all over the board and the Chiefs are winning one-score games, the Bills aren’t taking prisoners, winning the last two weeks by a combined score of 88-20.

Josh Allen had as close to a perfect night as possible, leading the Bills to touchdowns on the first five drives of the game and surpasses Patrick Mahomes as the MVP betting favorite at all major books. Buffalo has scored 30+ points in all three games and take the Chiefs spot for the time being. A win in Baltimore next week on Sunday night would keep them here.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-2024/

Maybe they need a new editor.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

On 9/24/2024 at 6:45 AM, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I’m slowing the roll on this narrative.   The teams the Bills beat are 19, 26, and 27 in the first link you posted.   

Go Bills!

Yeah and the chiefs barely beat 16 and 24. A large part of dolphins dropping is Tua out which he wasn't for the important part of our game.  We've dominated opponents for 10 quarters.  Regardless of how horrible you think those teams are we completely embarrassed 2 teams in one half.  

5 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I thought my joke about your guy on the toilet was lighthearted and kind of funny.   Maybe you gotta toughen up a bit?

To be clear I like what the Bills are doing very much.   Just think it’s early is all and the next 3 road games are tough and will be a much better litmus test of who they are as a team than the last 3 opponents.    Don’t know how that rubbed so many the wrong way.   

🤣 I thought my party pooper gif irked you a bit, as mild as it was. 

How dare you bring valid reasoning to this board.🤪

Hard not to be psyched after watching JA these last 3 games. Bal and Houston defense are allowing over 25 a game against teams like Indy, Oak, Minn and Dal. Bills are better on all levels.

If there's any concern imo it'll be the Buffalo D trying to contain their offense. 

• Agree 1

And to the idiots that still say the chiefs are the best team are plain and simple just haters… This is a what have you done lately league and imo the Chiefs shouldn’t even be number 2 on peoples list… I don’t care if they won super bowls or this or that… They are in no way shape or form playing as good as our Bills and they are a dropped pass and a lucky pass interference call from being 1-2… So please just save the Chelfs BS talk for somebody else….

Go Bills!

Dolphins are pretty complicated…we were beating them with or without tua finishing out the game and the fact that tua is out an extended period is burying them in these rankings.  

I think the cardinals are getting underrated pretty heavily also…close losses to bills and lions and beat the pants off the rams…that’s a pretty tough opening schedule. 

On 9/24/2024 at 4:40 PM, Augie said:

Something we didn’t do well last year was beating the teams we should beat. We just did that three times. The next three are more of a test than the last three, but we are 3-0 and have strung together 10 pretty impressive quarters. 

I’m always afraid of the next game, but I’m pleased with how we look and where we sit. We will not go undefeated, so let’s not all panic when we drop a game. We have a long way to go, and a LOT can happen. 

Man idk…this is gonna be weird responding pretty similarly to two different posts lol but I think the dolphins with tua (we were winning that game if tua finished it regardless) are a 9 or 10 win team and I think the cardinals are gonna shake out to be a pretty good team too.  The sample size is just too small to look at opponent win-loss.

Cardinals have had a bit of a meatgrinder schedule early with three playoff teams from last year.  close losses to Buffalo and Detroit and an absolute dismantling of the rams. 

I think our wins are getting diminished for whatever reason…the jags look pretty bad I’ll give the talking heads that one lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Go Bills!

That may be true, but Arizona happens to have beaten the LA Rams, which in turn has beaten San Francisco.  Both Miami and Jacksonville were rated higher in the preseason than they are now, and a major reason Miami has dropped in the power rankings is the fact that Tua is concussed and out for several weeks, with doubts about his future.  If Buffalo beats Baltimore, Baltimore will be 1-3 to start the season.  I can't imagine that will do much for their power ranking.  Will Buffalo's doubters then discount Baltimore and need Buffalo to beat Houston to be regarded as legit?

• Like (+1) 1

Dolphins had Tua for almost 3 full quarters against us and we curb stomped them.  We made their offense disappear.    

The week before, Jacksonville melted down v Miami in the 2nd half and they’ve been in a tailspin since.  

Arizona and MHJ look like a legit top 10 offense.  Their defense is suspect but they destroyed the Rams and were close against Detroit.   

The next 3 games are much tougher than the first 3 but it doesn’t get much harder then at Baltimore at Houston and at the Jets Defense.   That doesn’t mean these first 3 games were easy.  But beyond this stretch….which if we emerge just 4-2 I’d be fine so long as the win is the Jets:   

Home vs the Titans lol.  

At the Colts and at the Rams (both defenses are a mess).  

I have zero worries about the Lions and home v the Chiefs and 49ers.  

Then 4 more games vs our division with 3 at home.  

At Seattle mixed in there.  

We keep doing what we’re doing - 13-4 is achievable.  ESPECIALLY if we get to 5-1 by week 7.  

Have to beat KC.  I don’t see 5 losses on the Chiefs schedule.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Dolphins had Tua for almost 3 full quarters against us and we curb stomped them.  We made their offense disappear.    

The week before, Jacksonville melted down v Miami in the 2nd half and they’ve been in a tailspin since.  

Arizona and MHJ look like a legit top 10 offense.  Their defense is suspect but they destroyed the Rams and were close against Detroit.   

The next 3 games are much tougher than the first 3 but it doesn’t get much harder then at Baltimore at Houston and at the Jets Defense.   That doesn’t mean these first 3 games were easy.  But beyond this stretch….which if we emerge just 4-2 I’d be fine so long as the win is the Jets:   

Home vs the Titans lol.  

At the Colts and at the Rams (both defenses are a mess).  

I have zero worries about the Lions and home v the Chiefs and 49ers.  

Then 4 more games vs our division with 3 at home.  

At Seattle mixed in there.  

We keep doing what we’re doing - 13-4 is achievable.  ESPECIALLY if we get to 5-1 by week 7.  

Have to beat KC.  I don’t see 5 losses on the Chiefs schedule.  

The afc west is so flippin weird…chargers look good then they’re bad, broncos look awful then they’re good lol hard to tell if anyone could steal one from the chiefs at this point.  

Chiefs haven’t felt like they’re in their own tier to me as of late so I have a little bit of trouble handing them guaranteed wins…if they weren’t considerably healthier than the majority of their playoff opponents last year I don’t think they’re pulling off that Super Bowl run.  I swear they’ve got voodoo dolls or something Dre greenlaw tearing his Achilles just walking onto the field was crazy 😁 then kittle tore his shoulder 

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

🤣 I thought my party pooper gif irked you a bit, as mild as it was. 

How dare you bring valid reasoning to this board.🤪

Hard not to be psyched after watching JA these last 3 games. Bal and Houston defense are allowing over 25 a game against teams like Indy, Oak, Minn and Dal. Bills are better on all levels.

If there's any concern imo it'll be the Buffalo D trying to contain their offense. 

Ah…party pooper gif.   I missed it.  I’m a bit sleep deprived on the road for work.   Good one!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/24/2024 at 7:22 AM, Bruffalo said:

I can understand leaving the Chiefs at 1 since they have one thing that no other team has: The referees to bail them out in the 4th quarter.

It sets them apart from every other team on the field. 

Three defensive penalties on the Falcons' last drive was sure a weird method for bailing a team out. 

On 9/24/2024 at 9:20 PM, colin said:

the difference is kc are back to back champs, and we are really not certain how good most of the teams in the nfl are this season yet.  KC beat cinci and bmore, who have been very dangerous teams recently.

the bills have been playing on tilt, and aside from the zona game (where they mounted an impressive comeback) the games have been over early in the 3rd quarter and the starters ended the game on the bench, so it's clear the bills are a force to be reckoned with.  BUT, we've seen the bills look great in the regular season before and fall apart in the playoffs, so until that monkey is off the back, that's gonna be the narrative, and frankly it is deserved.

i think it can be different this year, but we need to get some starters on D healthy, and the new guys on O have to continue to gel and improve.

This is it.

You either include the Super Bowl or you don't.

If you do, the Chiefs have to be first.

If you only include this year, the Bills have been more impressive.

Hard to get upset either way, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

The analytic gurus can go down deep statistical rabbit holes at times.  But the most important stat in football is Win-Loss record.  The Bills and Chiefs have identical 3-0 records.

The next most important stat is points scored/allowed.  This is what NFL teams train to do: score points and stop the opponent from scoring. The Bills have a league-leading +64 differential.  The Chiefs have a mere +13 differential.   

Next, we could go to yards, strength of schedule, DVOA, and all sorts of other things.  But the most meaningful stats give the edge to Buffalo.  Right now, at this present time, it's fair to say the Bills are the best team in the league.

Though, sadly, the Chiefs might still win another Super Bowl.  Still - for now - I'm enjoying the view from the top of this temporary hill.