Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes: The changing of the guard?

Simon

14 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

Until Josh gets his first Lombardi this should not be discussed. And Josh should absolutely at some point get his first Lombardi, he’s more than good enough.

That one game.... that one little game where you go to the playoffs and end your year with a win... means so much in conversations like this... should it... I dont know it takes a village to win one... but geez... it is the mission of a QB to lead his team to a SB victory.... so there is that... anyways, I am with you ... maybe Josh is better now statistically or more valuable a player to his team etc... but I think somehow until he wins one it will be debated on end... and there will always be that argument

Edited by JP51

KC looked like ***** most of the year last year too and it didn't matter. This is all just pre-season.

Allen looks the best he's ever looked and is playing the best ball in the league right now, but that doesn't make him better than Mahomes. If he does it for the next several years,collects some MVPs, and beats him in January then we can have that discussion.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not talking about team results or about past performances. I'm talking about right now.

And it's not really all that close.

Mahomes will certainly find his rhythm and close the gap, but he has a ways to go before he's as good as Allen is right now.

Lol. Yes, Allen's off to a better start through three games (vs bad teams).

Crown him. 

14 hours ago, Simon said:

They've been 1a and 1b for almost 5 years now, with Mahomes maintaining a slight edge.

But Josh Allen has passed Patrick Mahomes and is currently the best QB on planet Earth.

That is all.

Agreed, but media keeps kissing his, and Lamar's, Arses.  Josh needs a ring or two to at least shut them up a little.

Are there throws and runs Mahomes can make that Allen can't make?  No.

Are there throws and runs Allen can make that Mahomes can't make?  Yes.

Will Josh ever get serious consideration for being better than Mahomes without winning a Super Bowl?  No.

I bet on 4 things every year for 4 seasons in a row...Josh will win MVP, McD COY, Bills AFC Champions, Bills Super Bowl Champs.

- McD was robbed of COY at least once.

- Allen was robbed of MVP once and would have one it in another season if not for Rodgers historic season himself.  

- 13 Seconds robbed us at real shot of AFC Champs and SB Champs.

So this year...I stopped betting.  I bet on none of them.  And the reason why is because I actually felt (and posted about this too) that this season could be Allens best ever in this new offense, and with lowered expectations that he had maybe his best shot ever at MVP and McD would have his best shot ever at COY if the Bills still dominate despite all the "player losses" and being a "transition year"...so I did not want to jinx it by betting on them again and decided I would rather not do it to increase the odds of it happening. 

Josh is gonna be MVP, McD might be COY, and the Bills are gonna at least reach the AFCCG.  

Your welcome for my sacrifice 😂

57 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

of course it does

verbatim people have been saying for years now that the difference between the Chiefs and Bills isn't at the QB spot. it's easier to see now but that didn't make it any less true when it was first said

Easier to see now after our 3 regular season games vs the Cardinals, Dolphins, and Jaguars. Come on. No wonder this fan base always jumps off a bridge at the end of the year. They forget everything that's ever happened after somebody calls them pretty 3 weeks in. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Easier to see now after our 3 regular season games vs the Cardinals, Dolphins, and Jaguars. Come on. No wonder this fan base always jumps off a bridge at the end of the year. They forget everything that's ever happened after somebody calls them pretty 3 weeks in. 

Lol

I've been saying this for 3 years now

'3 weeks' 😂😂 foh 

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

The Bills have been running up the score on bad teams for 5 or 6 years now. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lol

I've been saying this for 3 years now

'3 weeks' 😂😂 foh 

Mahomes has played like an all timer in the Divisional and Championship round.  Allen has played like a Hall of Famer. A big difference exists between the level of play for an all timer and a hall of famer. An all timer would score a TD on the final drive we had vs KC. A Hall of Famer may or may not. A all timer would get the ball in OT and close the door. Josh has never won a game in OT (and he has had the ball in OT in the playoffs). An all timer can't be shut down no matter the lead, Mahomes has more playoff comebacks of 7 points or greater in last years Super Bowl than Buffalo has in every year Josh has been QB. Again, to say that is not him being an all timer so we can try and prop Allen up more is just not the case. But keep rocking that narrative. It's what sells on these boards. 

image.thumb.png.39d22a5a1e75b1d55b5f7573e86c6360.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SaulGoodman said:

Lol. Yes, Allen's off to a better start through three games (vs bad teams).

Crown him. 

I've thought he was better than Mahomes for a few seasons now - it's just that it's more obvious this season.  

Kelce has slowed down, and Mahomes can't adjust.  Allen works w/ whoever he has.

16 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not talking about team results or about past performances. I'm talking about right now.

And it's not really all that close.

Mahomes will certainly find his rhythm and close the gap, but he has a ways to go before he's as good as Allen is right now.

I will tell you why this is a fair conversation to be had. So many people, even in these forums... Even during the "I am starting to like these WRs thread" would still say no because we did not have that Big WR anymore. Others... Even in these forums said.. To many Slot WR.  Many, were quietly nervous wondering if Josh could ever put up big numbers again.

I, along with many have said... JA will go through his progressions better because of no Diggs on the field. Well lookie lookie... JA still finding his cookies...

Now. RIGHT NOW. Is JA better than Mahomes? lets just put it this way.. I just had a big meal and I had to loosen my belt up a little bit... And Mahomes is a half notch away....

Forget about the last 3-4 years.. RIGHT NOW?   its JA "by a nose". But it is a long season. Love that he has no INT's and i need to see that number continue. 

• Agree 1

Eyeball test says yes, but Mahomes always manages to pull a rabbit out of the hat in a way that I've never seen from another player in my lifetime (started watching in 85).  I'm still viewing Mahomes and Josh as equals until we knock them off in the playoffs.  

If JA doesn't get an MVP or never hoists the Lombardi, we can all agree that he will at least be a first ballot Hall of Famer anyways, he is currently the most electric player in the NFL and is a player that everyone tunes in to watch every week and, in my eyes, that puts him miles above any player in the league right now.

I don't think Mahomo generates the buzz of excitement every week that JA does IMO

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love Josh and am in awe of his talent and leadership. I firmly believe he will bring us multiple SBs. The comparison and talk of a changing of the guard and overtaking Mahomes as the best QB in football is silly. Until Josh beats KC in the playoffs it’s just partisan fans getting way ahead of themselves. Now last season it was a Diggs drop, getting jostled on his last throw into the end zone  and a Bass missed chip shot that ended our season, so it’s a team breakdown that held him back, but Mahomes always overcomes team obstacles. Josh’s time is coming but beating limited QBs( Tua, Trevor,) is not the “changing of the guard “. Now Mahomes admits he’s been unimpressive this season but last year KC stunk until the playoffs and then ran the table. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I love Josh and am in awe of his talent and leadership. I firmly believe he will bring us multiple SBs. The comparison and talk of a changing of the guard and overtaking Mahomes as the best QB in football is silly. Until Josh beats KC in the playoffs it’s just partisan fans getting way ahead of themselves. Now last season it was a Diggs drop, getting jostled on his last throw into the end zone  and a Bass missed chip shot that ended our season, so it’s a team breakdown that held him back, but Mahomes always overcomes team obstacles. Josh’s time is coming but beating limited QBs( Tua, Trevor,) is not the “changing of the guard “. Now Mahomes admits he’s been unimpressive this season but last year KC stunk until the playoffs and then ran the table. 

Quarterbacks don't play each other.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

So the Tom Brady led Colts lose to the Manning led Patriots? 

I've always thought Manning would have a few more if he played w/ Belichick instead of 5 different coaches (and Brady would have less, certainly if he played for the Colts, who weren't constructed & coached as well in those years).