Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes: The changing of the guard?

Simon

Just now, Simon said:

It is EXACTLY what this thread is saying. REPEATEDLY.

I know because I am the one who started it.

Then you’re being ambiguous. ‘Changing of the guard’ is not the same as playing better right now. What if Allen stinks next week or sometime later in the season? Changing of the guard implies championships. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ghostwriter said:

Simon, Simon, Simon.. You’re making a judgement based off of abstract terms. 

There is no greater expression of how good a QB is other than how many rings he has on his fingers. Brady has 7, Montana has 4 and Mahomes has 3.

Where’s the hardware?

That's for casual fans.  

Dilfer isn't better than Marino.

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

Then you’re being ambiguous. ‘Changing of the guard’ is not the same as playing better right now. What if Allen stinks next week or sometime later in the season? Changing of the guard implies championships. 

I've used the term "right now" so many times in this thread that you clearly have not read anything.

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

Why would I forget Mahomes vs Allen in a thread titled Mahomes vs Allen?

Thanks for that informed detailed response on the current state of NFL quarterbacking.

I'm adding context. 

Obviously there's no case to take Allen over Mahomes right now. Mahomes has 3 SB titles. 

But I believe coaching is what has cost the Bills in the postseason. Talent wise, JA and PM are very similar. 

So in a postseason game, I don't worry about Allen vs Mahomes per se. I worry about Reid vs McDermott. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Fair. Allen is playing better right now for sure. That’s not what this thread is saying though. That’s the definition of crowning without winning anything. So my point still stands. 

I think it’s exactly about how they’re playing right now and projecting what their future will be based on trends in their play from just reading the op 

this whole rings talk when you’re comparing a qb vs qb directly is kind of ridiculous…if you gave Josh the chiefs defense he’d probably never lose 

if we’re talking about which team is better, then sure bring the rings talk in 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Success said:

It's not tennis.

No it’s NFL football where any greatness that’s associated with quarterbacks has to involve Superbowl appearances and Lombardi trophies. It may not be fair but that’s how quarterbacks are judged. That isn’t going to change anytime soon. 

Just now, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I'm adding context. 

Obviously there's no case to take Allen over Mahomes right now. Mahomes has 3 SB titles. 

But I believe coaching is what has cost the Bills in the postseason. Talent wise, JA and PM are very similar. 

So in a postseason game, I don't worry about Allen vs Mahomes per se. I worry about Reid vs McDermott. 

Cool, then go discuss Reid vs McDermott in teh playoffs in a thread that has anything to do with either of those things.

This one is about who is playing the best QB in the world right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

No it’s NFL football where any greatness that’s associated with quarterbacks has to involve Superbowl appearances and Lombardi trophies. It may not be fair but that’s how quarterbacks are judged. That isn’t going to change anytime soon. 

I don't care about media judgement and this thread is not about that.

This will be the last time I ask you to leave this thread.

It’s incredible watching this kid as he has honed his game. Josh has moved to elite while hurdling those struggling heros of yore like the KC QB who is kept from the league lead in picks only by Will Levis and a 22 year old. Fans of the game from all backgrounds are acknowledging what we are seeing. The Allen/Brady era has arrived!

1 minute ago, AKC said:

It’s incredible watching this kid as he has honed his game. Josh has moved to elite while hurdling those struggling heros of yore like the KC QB who is kept from the league lead in picks only by Will Levis and a 22 year old. Fans of the game from all backgrounds are acknowledging what we are seeing. The Allen/Brady era has arrived!

I cannot f'ing believe how easy he is making everything look.

Even those backhanded handoffs to his right look perfectly smooth and it's something he's never had to do before.

It's genuine artistry at this point.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I've thought this before and still do, but the reality is until the job gets done in February Mahomes is just going to have that hanging over Josh. It's not exactly fair as it's a team game but that's just how it is.

This.

I currently believe that Josh Allen is the best quarterback on planet earth, but until he wins an MVP and a Lombardi, not many people are going to take that argument seriously.

It may not be fair, but its reality. Go win an MVP and a 'ship and I promise they'll be having this discussion on every sports show in America. 

Buffalo looking like Super Bowl champions. KC looking like they barely belong. Allen playing better than Mahomes. It’s not new. Mad respect for how we are playing, but these comments are just silly.  To not acknowledge being in this exact situation before. Perhaps even multiple times. If the first 3 weeks of the 2024 season are enough to make these statements then it’s hard to take seriously. I guess if this crown is for that period of time then sure. It’s Josh’s right now.

Edited by Mikie2times

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Regular season doesn't count

You should read the thread before trying to interject anything more.

It's about who is playing the best ball right now.

Not about past championships or sports talk. Who is the best today.

That is all.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

They've been 1a and 1b for almost 5 years now, with Mahomes maintaining a slight edge.

But Josh Allen has passed Patrick Mahomes and is currently the best QB on planet Earth.

That is all.

We are currently witnessing history. We are in the midst of greatness right now and need to cherish every moment.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

This.

I currently believe that Josh Allen is the best quarterback on planet earth, but until he wins an MVP and a Lombardi, not many people are going to take that argument seriously.

It may not be fair, but its reality. Go win an MVP and a 'ship and I promise they'll be having this discussion on every sports show in America. 

Don't care about sports shows or randos.

Just talking about the football being played right now.