Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes: The changing of the guard?

Simon

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Two years later, Ric lost his title Harley Race.  We are overdue.

Allen is better in regular season.  Mahomes is better in the playoffs.

Allen is just as good in the post-season. His coach and teammates (due to injuries/etc) however have been another story.

Edited by Herc11
  • Agree 2

Mahomes is dropping his elbow on a bunch of throws, causing the ball to sail or otherwise hang up off-target. He might also be flying open (lead shoulder/hip) and throwing flat-footed and/or off balance. 

His elusiveness has been bailing him out. And for sure he's still hitting the occasional dime. But he isn't consistently very good so far in 2024. Which opens the door for one Josh Allen, who is operating at peak efficiency, to be the best QB in the NFL through the first three weeks. 

No more. No less. Just where it's at RIGHT NOW. TONIGHT. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Mahomes is dropping his elbow on a bunch of throws, causing the ball to sail or otherwise hang up off-target. He might also be flying open (lead shoulder/hip) and throwing flat-footed and/or off balance. 

Considering his penchant for throwing strikes with the craziest arms angles I've ever seen you'd think this wouldn't be a problem for him.

He's looked mostly accurate to me when I've watched them. But I'm not ready to ditch my pet theory that there is something physically wrong with him and that his odd (for a ballplayer) body type could be leading to him breaking down younger than the average player.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Considering his penchant for throwing strikes with the craziest arms angles I've ever seen you'd think this wouldn't be a problem for him.

He's looked mostly accurate to me when I've watched them. But I'm not ready to ditch my pet theory that there is something physically wrong with him and that his odd (for a ballplayer) body type could be leading to him breaking down younger than the average player.

He certainly gets nicked up more than your average great quarterback 

Even on the second to the last play last night.. on a routine kneel play .. he rolled around a couple seconds to buy time so they wouldn't have to punt the ball back 

And he tweaked his knee.. easy to see plain as day 

And he's had lower body issues consistently for years.. yeah he's super mobile and elusive but he's definitely on slippery slope 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I would love to point out that Josh being involved in two blowouts has kept his stats depressed.  

If Bill Belichak was the coach the Bills would be averaging 40 plus and Allen putting up Lincoln Riley in the Big 12 numbers because Bill wouldn’t have just kind of aimlessly ran the ball in the 2nd half against Miami and Jax and certainly Allen would have played well into the 4th quarter - and throwing it

• Agree 1

Allen is the best player in the NFL. There were a few things I felt Mahomes was better at but Josh has closed that gap this year so far. Also Mahomes is off right now. Probably won’t stay that way but he is right now. 

can’t wait for this Ravens game. It should be a good one. 

also I feel like Mahomes has that problem where he has to feed Rice like Josh had where he fed Diggs. Worthy isn’t good, at least not yet. Kelce is old and easier to cover. I don’t think Mahomes really has anyone else meaningful. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

I can't stand the new age narrative regarding which QB is better based on head-to-head and playoffs/championships. 

NFL football is the ultimate team sport. Ppl have lost this with the media narrative of the last 10 years or so. 

MVP has become a QB beauty talent show.

A is better than B was never a measuring stick in the past. It was team vs team, not baseball-like pitcher wins. 

Josh Allen is clearly better than Pat Mahomes. Just watch the games. 

But Pat has SB wins, so he's better?? His team, divisional imbalance, and system is. 

If we use the current criteria for greatness, then Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler are greater than Jim Kelly. 

This is just silly and why are fans buying into this year after year now? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The crazy part is Josh is the best pure passer the Bills have ever had. And there is no better pure passer in the league.

He's also the best running QB the Bills have ever had. And there is no better running QB in the league.

And he's as clutch as anyone we had, or anyone in the league.

It's pretty insane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

A Chiefs fan's comment on the Athletic:

"Eric H.

· 5h 33m ago

@John P. As a neutral chiefs fan I saw it coming. Sure they shedded some talent but they focused on building a more balanced roster. And as much as everyone (bills fans included) has ***** on McDermott he’s done an excellent job getting good defensive play while dealing with injuries.

And of course Josh Allen is still a freak and should be on his way to back to back MVPs (should have won it last year and I don’t see any way he doesn’t win it this year unless he gets hurt). He’s better than Mahomes right now and it’s not particularly close."

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately Bass is going to cost us big time, when it counts.  I mean that.  You think we are a SB team??? Check yourself bc our kicker blows.

Mahomes has Butker who is great.  

that alone makes Mahomes the better QB 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Don't care about sports shows or randos.

Just talking about the football being played right now.

Absolutely Josh and the entire offense are playing awesome football and Josh is at the top of his game right now.  It was the varsity offense vs JV defense last night.

But to me, a changing of the guard is a changing of a standard for consistency and greatness over time.  It has not been long enough yet, and part of being the "guard" of the entire NFL is inexorably tied to results.  Because enough of the league and fans have to buy in.

Josh has had amazing runs in the past only to revert to tunnel vision hero ball with turnovers.  It's his biggest weakness.

The Chiefs offense is struggling as a whole right now, especially with their turnstile left tackles.  The team struggled last year part of the year also, having to come play in Buffalo.  But they overcame.

Things can change quickly in the NFL.  I'll need to see where both QB's and their teams end after the season before declaring a changing of the guard

Edited by GaryPinC

Pat Mahomes has won 3 Super Bowls and 2 NFL MVPs and has beaten Josh in the playoffs every single time, whether it’s Josh’s fault or not.

Nobody in the league other than Bills fans think it’s been “1a and 1b” between Josh and Mahomes … sorry. Mahomes has been #1, then everybody else.

As of now, 3 weeks into the season, it looks like Josh might finally overtake him, but he needs to beat him in the playoffs first or at least win any type of award that Mahomes has multiple of.

That just feels like common sense.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1