Week 3 - Jacksonville Jaguars @ Buffalo Bills - Mon night post game thread

BuffaloBill

6 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Baltimore is going to be s great test. This Bills team is do balanced and consistent.  Let's hope they can keep the string rolling.

And a very tough test at that.

Derrick Henry sure picked a bad time to start getting on track. The Bills are pretty small on the defensive side of the ball, and that run game is going to be a huge challenge.

Thankfully, smaller, quick guys should help against Lamar's scrambling abilities, but that will require them to play very disciplined.

The Ravens also give up the least rushing yards per game, by a LOT. Teams only average 50 rush yards per game against them, with 2nd place being the Vikings at 71.3. Only 7 other teams give up less than 100 rush yards per game, so that just tells you how dominant their D has been stopping the run.

On the flip side, they're dead last in how many pass yards they give up per game, though that may partially be because teams abandon the run after seeing zero success.

Edited by BigDingus

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

LB is a plug and play position... Same with safety. As long as you don't have truly awful players in those spots you're fine. Football is still played primarily on the edges and on the boundary and the Bills have really good EDGEs and really good boundary CBs. The fans that thought losing Milano and Taron Johnson were impossible obstacles to overcome were wrong. They're both luxury players, not the engine that makes it all work. So no Spector and Williams to my eyes have not been outstanding, nor has Cam Lewis, but they have been good enough to let the more important pieces on defense function.

I noticed a couple plays where Williams didn’t seem big enough or strong enough, getting pushed back by the ball carrier.

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Derrick Henry sure picked a bad time to start getting on track. The Bills are pretty small on the defensive side of the ball, and that run game is going to be a huge challenge.

Thankfully, smaller, quick guys should help against Lamar's scrambling abilities, but that will require them to play very disciplined.

The Ravens also give up the least rushing yards per game, by a LOT. Teams only average 50 rush yards per game against them, with 2nd place being the Vikings at 71.3. Only 7 other teams give up less than 100 rush yards per game, so that just tells you how dominant their D has been stopping the run.

On the flip side, they're dead last in how many pass yards they give up per game, though that may partially be because teams abandon the run after seeing zero success.

I'm hoping Taron is back for this one. He's 2-3 times the tackler that Cam Lewis is.

That will be important against the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Probably still behind Mahomes and Lamar for MVP odds.

This team has and continues to remind me of my Golden State Warriors beginning with their 2015 team.  They both have a unicorn leader who sets team and league records (even obscure ones like this one) and the team does the same.  After many years of futility,  they both became one of the best teams in their league.   They both have also been fun to watch.

Unfortunately, while the Warriors have made several Finals, winning four, this Bills team has yet to achieve that success.  Those Warriors teams just had the “it” factor with players and coaches that knew how to win under the pressure of clutch times in big games.  Hopefully, this Bills team can get over the hump.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

That Dallas run defense sure is something.

I think the Bills blow them out. Flowers is going to be their only player you jave to watch out for. Lamar isn't getting easy yardage because the DE overplays the Rb like Parsons did last week.

Their CBs haven't looked great this year

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Since the two minute warning in the first half against Arizona, the Bills have outscored their opponents 119-31

how much of those 31 points are garbage time points...(plus a KR for TD).

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I thought something looked different about this handoff!

Looks risky and i would say shows there is something significant with the left hand.   Propobaly/hopefully a broken bone or two vs ligaments.  

I also wonder if the injury is a blessing and it is forcing them to figure out how to get by without the full Josh Allen experience. Emphasis on quick throws and let the playmakers make plays.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

These are great points.  The one question is, how could they loose to the Raiders?

The Raven's pass defense can be exploited by the Bills balanced passing attack.  This could open up the running game for Cook and company.

In the past, the Bills have shown the ability to keep Lamar's scrambling in check.  That may be more difficult with Henry in the lineup.

This will be a challenge for the Bills to begin their three game road trip.

Can't wait for Sunday night!

Go Bills!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Looks risky and i would say shows there is something significant with the left hand.   Propobaly/hopefully a broken bone or two vs ligaments.  

I also wonder if the injury is a blessing and it is forcing them to figure out how to get by without the full Josh Allen experience. Emphasis on quick throws and let the playmakers make plays.  

Yeah, it's obvious there's an issue with his hand. Won't be a problem as long as someone doesn't target that hand with a cheap shot, which has been known to happen at times in this league