Xavier Worthy: So far, not much more than a gadget guy

Logic

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Thats true but I think he can afford to be just a gadget guy with Rice and Kelsey taking a majority of the snaps.

This allows the Chiefs to bring him along at his own pace.

Compare that to Coleman who has alot more pressure on him.

Pressure   makes diamond's 

• Like (+1) 1

Being the fastest guy in the universe didn't help when he stopped his route short that play at the end 😛

The WR group early in this season has been pretty underwhelming to me overall. I'll wait till the end of the year to judge but the "deepest WR draft" in years has been underwhelming through 3 weeks. Might not even be better than the early looks at next years class to be honest(yes, I know a lot of people say that but there are a ton of guys next year)

- Luther Burden Missouri

-Tetairoa McMillan Arizona

- Tre Harris Miss

- Juice Wells Miss

- Travis Hunter Colorado

- Isaiah Bond Texas

-Emeka Egbuka Ohio State

All of these guys with the exception of Wells are first round guys and there is a ton of depth behind them as well. The 2025 draft has just as much hype if not more than the 2024 WR class.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I pounded the "draft Xavier Worthy" drum loudly and repeatedly, and then griped about it just as loudly after the fact when the Bills let the Chiefs take him instead. I figured it's only fair, then, to point out that so far, Xavier Worthy has been little more than a gadget receiver in Kansas City. 

Now, the two caveats I'll give are this: One, Worthy is obviously only three games into his rookie season and is still acclimating to the NFL. Two, Keon Coleman hasn't exactly been lighting it up either.

Still, as someone who was a big Worthy truther, I would be remiss not to mention that three games into his career, he looks more Mecole Hardman and less Tyreek Hill. That being said, Hill himself had only 593 receiving yards in his first season, so of course things can change and players can evolve. For now, though, with the Chiefs offense looking like it could use a capable WR2, Worthy mostly hasn't been one. Just 17 receiving yards two weeks in a row, and a season low 50% of snaps last night.

The Chiefs could certainly use some explosivity in their offense, too. Patrick Mahomes' aDOT (average depth of target) so far this season is at a career low 5.2. As we saw last night against the Falcons, there wasn't much in the way of productive downfield passing. No one other than Rashee Rice really seemed to be producing much in the passing game. A player as fast and potentially explosive as Worthy, you would think, would be taking the top off the opposing defense and making big plays downfield. So far? Not.

Just thought it was interesting to note, and will be something to keep an eye on throughout the season.

To be fair, he was never going to be Tyreek Hill, they are not remotely the same style of build of a player.  And while Hill had a modest rookie year, he also wasn't playing with prime Patrick Mahomes either like Worthy is.  I commend you though for owning this and not being afraid to post it, so respect and kudos.  

I will say this...on tape, Coleman has been significantly more impressive to me as a primary pass catcher.  Yes he had zero catches last week, but he was open for plenty the ball just went to other open spots in what was a limited passing game with Cook dominating and the Bills taking the foot off the gas almost the entire 2nd half to just chew clock and not get hurt in our blowout win.  

It is way too early to condemn his career to Mercole Hardman, but this was what most of us who were down on him in the draft were very much concerned about.  Honestly, had Worthy run a 4.41 forty for example, he would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick at best IMHO and no one would have been hyping him up for the first round.  But because he got even skinnier training to win the underwear olympics 40 time record he got all this buzz and hype.  

Outside his broken TD play that a backup TE would have caught and scored on week 1, he has 5 catches for 46 yards over the 3 games.  I said it week 1 and its been even more true weeks 2 and 3, and that is he is struggling to get open.  He has been the starting WR all 3 weeks too with Brown out.  

That being said...Coleman's week 1 game was more impressive than anything I have seen from Worthy in 3 weeks.  Now...its early...Coleman hasn't proven anything yet and Worthy isn't condemned yet.  In fact, I think Worthy will be a bigger threat once Brown is back and he doesn't have to be leaned on as a primary WR.  But KC has a terrible track record with drafting and acquiring WR's lately, so doesn't surprise me they took another one that is struggling.  I wanted nothing to do with Worthy ahead of the draft and even before the draft happened I hands down would have drafted Coleman over Worthy and nothing thus far has happened to change my opinion on that.  

I am still glad they took Worthy instead of McConkey or Mitchell who I thought were the more dangerous fits for KC's offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

dude is a 165 lbs...Hill is 190 or 195. Huge difference in body type and frame. Worthy is not going to hold up to the NFL pounding he will take.

The other huge difference is that even in his early career, Hill could run the entire route tree. Worthy has not shown that ability as of yet. 

Hill gets credited with being a deep threat "Go route" guy, but in truth he's just as dangerous on underneath routes and burning up YAC. Worthy isn't that dude.

14 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The WR group early in this season has been pretty underwhelming to me overall. I'll wait till the end of the year to judge but the "deepest WR draft" in years has been underwhelming through 3 weeks. Might not even be better than the early looks at next years class to be honest(yes, I know a lot of people say that but there are a ton of guys next year)

- Luther Burden Missouri

-Tetairoa McMillan Arizona

- Tre Harris Miss

- Juice Wells Miss

- Travis Hunter Colorado

- Isaiah Bond Texas

-Emeka Egbuka Ohio State

All of these guys with the exception of Wells are first round guys and there is a ton of depth behind them as well. The 2025 draft has just as much hype if not more than the 2024 WR class.

I mean MHJ and Nabers look the part, and Odunze has fared well too despite terrible QB play so far in Chicago.  I also think Coleman, McConkey and Thomas have all shown their potential at points too.  If just those 6 continue on a path that makes them strong to great starters it will have been a great WR draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, he was never going to be Tyreek Hill, they are not remotely the same style of build of a player.  And while Hill had a modest rookie year, he also wasn't playing with prime Patrick Mahomes either like Worthy is.  I commend you though for owning this and not being afraid to post it, so respect and kudos.  

I will say this...on tape, Coleman has been significantly more impressive to me as a primary pass catcher.  Yes he had zero catches last week, but he was open for plenty the ball just went to other open spots in what was a limited passing game with Cook dominating and the Bills taking the foot off the gas almost the entire 2nd half to just chew clock and not get hurt in our blowout win.  

It is way too early to condemn his career to Mercole Hardman, but this was what most of us who were down on him in the draft were very much concerned about.  Honestly, had Worthy run a 4.41 forty for example, he would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick at best IMHO and no one would have been hyping him up for the first round.  But because he got even skinnier training to win the underwear olympics 40 time record he got all this buzz and hype.  

Outside his broken TD play that a backup TE would have caught and scored on week 1, he has 5 catches for 46 yards over the 3 games.  I said it week 1 and its been even more true weeks 2 and 3, and that is he is struggling to get open.  He has been the starting WR all 3 weeks too with Brown out.  

That being said...Coleman's week 1 game was more impressive than anything I have seen from Worthy in 3 weeks.  Now...its early...Coleman hasn't proven anything yet and Worthy isn't condemned yet.  In fact, I think Worthy will be a bigger threat once Brown is back and he doesn't have to be leaned on as a primary WR.  But KC has a terrible track record with drafting and acquiring WR's lately, so doesn't surprise me they took another one that is struggling.  I wanted nothing to do with Worthy ahead of the draft and even before the draft happened I hands down would have drafted Coleman over Worthy and nothing thus far has happened to change my opinion on that.  

I am still glad they took Worthy instead of McConkey or Mitchell who I thought were the more dangerous fits for KC's offense.  

I don't believe Brown is expected back this year, at least not during the regular season.  I agree with everything above, especially the last part about McConkey or Mitchell.  Both of those guys in my opinion, have the potential to threaten defenses on all 3 levels.  Kelce is looking old and slow right now, similar to how he looked last year.  Let's see if he finds the fountain of youth again, during the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Logic, you may be right.  If you look at his measurables, and how he's been used so far, Worthy might turn out to be a gadget player in the NFL and nothing more.

But, after three games, I agree with the folks saying it's too early to assess.  

There were smart people who thought OJ was a gadget player - a track star who used his speed to excel at college football.   He only averaged about 50 yards a game his rookie season with Buffalo.  Even less his sophomore year.   Few people back then would have predicted that he would go on to prove himself one of the greatest RBs - if not the greatest - of all time.  

I'm in the wait-and-see camp though I don't really care that much.  I just want Coleman to morph into a star.  

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

If you think Worthy can add 30 lbs of muscle to that frame and still perform at that level you don't go to the gym. Why can't he add that much weight? Because he has a slight frame, not a spark plug type frame like Hill has.

haha fair enough - I was honestly curious.  And nope, no gym for me 😄

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

Reminds me of Marquise Goodwin in this regard.... 

Even Goodwin had a good 15-20 lb on this kid 

Goodwin had a little bit of thickness.. Worthy is the size of a high school football player

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Worthy was never the guy we needed. I was thinking he would be a cool 2nd round pick if we got a WR in the 1st and he was still there - add some speed.  But I was never thinking about him as the main guy we'd go after.

KC's offense is pretty average, especially without Pacheco.  Kelce - while still a very good TE - is not nearly the threat that he used to be. 

44 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I don't believe Brown is expected back this year, at least not during the regular season.  I agree with everything above, especially the last part about McConkey or Mitchell.  Both of those guys in my opinion, have the potential to threaten defenses on all 3 levels.  Kelce is looking old and slow right now, similar to how he looked last year.  Let's see if he finds the fountain of youth again, during the playoffs. 

Im about ready to trade him in my Fantasy league.

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

How about Nabers though.  That dude is a stud.  

comparing worthy to hill is like comparing Coleman to Jerry rice cause Jerry wore a yellow puffy once. 

Nabers, Harrison, and Bears Odunze were expected to be studs and try appear they will be

Coleman is on this large group drafted 20-40 and I prefer to do comparison among them.  Thry are different receivers, used differently.

• Like (+1) 1