Xavier Worthy: So far, not much more than a gadget guy

Logic

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was the knock on him coming out. Long way to go but I think his ceiling might be automatically capped by his size. Still a scary player in that offense though.

There's probably a role for him as a gadget guy and kick returner but yeah that's pretty damning.

Coleman has his physical limits too. He's never going to shave 0.2s off his 40 time and probably will never have breakaway speed. But I've said for a while before the season started that the body control, size and strength Keon already has can be upgraded with refined route running as he gets experience (and he now has Amari Cooper to mentor)

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Crappy WRs , turnover machine QB, and yet the chiefs are are 6-0. What could be the difference?

IMG_7232.webp

american football flag GIF by ransport

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was the knock on him coming out. Long way to go but I think his ceiling might be automatically capped by his size. Still a scary player in that offense though.

Every game scares me. Every play with him scares me. I don’t know what his body of work will look like, but he’s a threat every play  if he’s on the field and you don’t get hands on him. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's clearly this guy.

giphy.gif

Yes. He is an excellent coordinator. The Chiefs have such a great coaching advantage over the rest of the league.

• Agree 3

55 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Crappy WRs , turnover machine QB, and yet the chiefs are are 6-0. What could be the difference?

IMG_7232.webp

They’ve felt like a 5-1 team that caught a few very lucky breaks to me this year not that that’s not a plenty impressive record in its own right 🤣

Reid definitely sold his soul to the devil after his time with the eagles haha. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is the reason I didn’t think he was a fit in buffalo.  Imagine when it gets cold out too…..he’s going to shatter when hit

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is the reason I didn’t think he was a fit in buffalo.  Imagine when it gets cold out too…..he’s going to shatter when hit

Asks Google how cold it will be late afternoon Nov. 17th in Buffalo. Projected 43 degrees in the day, 32 at night. 

Asks Google, is 40 degrees cold enough to shatter Xavier Worthy? Refuses to answer and talks about his combine time.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can't tell you how many people on this board argued with me that "small guys have an easier time getting off the line"... it was mind numbing. 

Logic was fighting tooth and nail and then I believe he blocked me lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/21/2024 at 12:54 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis was a liability with getting his feet in bounds though, I think people forget how many times he should have completed a catch but didn't becuase of his feet.  There was one last year he was like 3 or 4 yards from the sideline and still didn't get both feet in.  The issue wasn't that he "couldn't" it was he did not have good positional awareness or focus at times.

And Keon already has a more expansive route tree and runs them better IMO than Davis thanks to how much more athletic and twitchy Keon is compared to Davis who tends to round off his routes.  Keon has a lot still to learn of course, but I just don't think they are similar at all as players outside some low hanging fruit stuff like neither having great straight line speed, both having good size.  Their skill sets are quite different.  2 things Davis has on Keon right now is blocking (but Keon isn't far behind, was known as the best blocker of the WR class this year too) and improvising when Allen is scrambling...both things that are more a reflection of Keon being a rookie and still developing and learning in those areas.

Now in terms of role, if you want to say similar to Davis in terms he isn't a focal point yet in the offense, then sure I can see why you would say that.  But I think this comparison by many people keeps getting thrown around for the wrong reasons with Keon and Davis as they really are not that similar of a player on the field.  

I do agree about Brandon Marshall, in fact, I said if Keon can reach his potential then he could be a blend of Hopkins and Marshall (not saying he is now, saying if he reached his potential).  Neither of those guys were straight line fast, but they learned the nuances that create the separation to be consistently dangerous WR's and used their ball skills. size, and body control down field even when the separation wasn't there as the prototypical "open even when not open" type WR's.  Funny enough, Keons pro day 40 time was faster than both those guys, Davante Adams, Cooper Kupp, etc.  What will determine Keon's long term success as a top tier WR will be how well he can develop his game off the line and the nuances and sudden movements to create the separation consistently.  He is already good on certain routes like a hook or comeback route and the slant.  

The good news on Keon is he has the athletic ability to get there potentially where as Gabe never had the athletic ability to be much more than what he is now.  

I always found Knox odd because he made a lot of tough catches but then would drop the most easiest routine catch and he did that a lot. I felt the same with Davis... He made some ridiculous side line toe taps but then couldnt get his feet in bounds a mile from the sideline lol.

4 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

There's probably a role for him as a gadget guy and kick returner but yeah that's pretty damning.

Coleman has his physical limits too. He's never going to shave 0.2s off his 40 time and probably will never have breakaway speed. But I've said for a while before the season started that the body control, size and strength Keon already has can be upgraded with refined route running as he gets experience (and he now has Amari Cooper to mentor)

american football flag GIF by ransport

Josh was mic'd up this week. I put it in the new game week thread. On that Coleman 50 yard play or however many yards it was, Josh was like "come on bro I almost caught up to you from where I threw the ball."  LMAO.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Chiefs offense is struggling now for two straight seasons which is coached by the walrus.

Their defense has been great the last two seasons coached by Spags.

If the defense is doing the heavy lifting, who would you give credit?

It's always been a misconception that Reid is some all-time great offensive genius.   He won with defense in Philly.   He came to KC and initially turned them back around and won with defense and even had a season where his team didn't throw a TD pass to a WR all year.   His offense were almost always only as good as the QB and weapons it had.   I mean Chip Kelly took over for him and the Eagles got an immediate big system bump offensively.   Reid was always a very solid regular season HC with serious game/clock management issues and he just hung around long enough that he had both a Donovan McNabb to help him get to and lose big playoff games(usually at home) and then he finally lucked into a GOAT type in Mahomes.  

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's always been a misconception that Reid is some all-time great offensive genius.   He won with defense in Philly.   He came to KC and initially turned them back around and won with defense and even had a season where his team didn't throw a TD pass to a WR all year.   His offense were almost always only as good as the QB and weapons it had.   I mean Chip Kelly took over for him and the Eagles got an immediate big system bump offensively.   Reid was always a very solid regular season HC with serious game/clock management issues and he just hung around long enough that he had both a Donovan McNabb to help him get to and lose big playoff games(usually at home) and then he finally lucked into a GOAT type in Mahomes.  

Who would you put above him? I’m looking for names whose offenses were notably better than the QB and weapons they had. 

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Haha I do think he’s a great offensive mind but the clock management thing and people completely ignoring his decades with the eagles is absolutely spot on. The guy was a game management disaster and always getting dunked on by his own fans and really anyone 🤣. All this talk that he is some wide receiver whisperer and never misses on draft picks kind of gets me too…he’s overseen/coached some absolute head scratcher picks over the years 

Belichick calling Freddie Mitchell ‘terrible and you can print that’ in the lead up to that pats eagles Super Bowl was one of my favorite things ever haha 

11 minutes ago, Cash said:

Who would you put above him? I’m looking for names whose offenses were notably better than the QB and weapons they had. 

#1 for me is Joe Gibbs.   He was the Air Coryell Chargers offensive coordinator in the late 1970's and turned Dan Fouts from a dud into an All Pro and then won 3 SB's with 3 different QB's with the Redskins.  None of them HOF'ers.  He probably could have won a SB with Jay Schroeder too if he could have stayed healthy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3