Xavier Worthy: So far, not much more than a gadget guy

Logic

I pounded the "draft Xavier Worthy" drum loudly and repeatedly, and then griped about it just as loudly after the fact when the Bills let the Chiefs take him instead. I figured it's only fair, then, to point out that so far, Xavier Worthy has been little more than a gadget receiver in Kansas City. 

Now, the two caveats I'll give are this: One, Worthy is obviously only three games into his rookie season and is still acclimating to the NFL. Two, Keon Coleman hasn't exactly been lighting it up either.

Still, as someone who was a big Worthy truther, I would be remiss not to mention that three games into his career, he looks more Mecole Hardman and less Tyreek Hill. That being said, Hill himself had only 593 receiving yards in his first season, so of course things can change and players can evolve. For now, though, with the Chiefs offense looking like it could use a capable WR2, Worthy mostly hasn't been one. Just 17 receiving yards two weeks in a row, and a season low 50% of snaps last night.

The Chiefs could certainly use some explosivity in their offense, too. Patrick Mahomes' aDOT (average depth of target) so far this season is at a career low 5.2. As we saw last night against the Falcons, there wasn't much in the way of productive downfield passing. No one other than Rashee Rice really seemed to be producing much in the passing game. A player as fast and potentially explosive as Worthy, you would think, would be taking the top off the opposing defense and making big plays downfield. So far? Not.

Just thought it was interesting to note, and will be something to keep an eye on throughout the season.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

dude is a 165 lbs...Hill is 190 or 195. Huge difference in body type and frame. Worthy is not going to hold up to the NFL pounding he will take.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Still, as someone who was a big Worthy truther, I would be remiss not to mention that three games into his career, he looks more Mecole Hardman and less Tyreek Hill. That being said, Hill himself had only 593 receiving yards in his first season, so of course things can change and players can evolve. 

Tyreek also played his first season with Alex Smith at the helm. Granted, he did improve with Alex Smith still quarterbacking the next year as well.

He took off in year 3 when Mahomes was under center. 

I agree that it's early but it's the reasons that @Logic mentioned that had me not go too crazy when Worthy had a splashy Week 1. Now he's hell of a gadget player but so far the size and technique issues look like hurdles he still has to overcome.

For what it's worth I think Coleman goes off tonight. A weaker secondary that relies on man coverage, a strong front 7 and the Bills with plenty of motion men (I think) should give Coleman one on ones.

• Like (+1) 3

Also the trade was really a no-brainer for the Bills. Even if you were interested in Worthy, if you had any WRs in the same group it's well worth a 3rd rounder. I really wanted Brian Thomas (or one of the top 3 via trade) but Coleman strikes me as more of a NFL WR than Worthy.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I was never a Worthy supporter......he reminds me of a Hardman or Harvin type.

I wouldn't even put Harvin in that discussion. He was good, but just couldn't stay healthy. Hardman, John Ross, McKenzie, he's more along those lines. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

dude is a 165 lbs...Hill is 190 or 195. Huge difference in body type and frame. Worthy is not going to hold up to the NFL pounding he will take.

who’s to say he won’t add some muscle in the off-season?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

If you think Worthy can add 30 lbs of muscle to that frame and still perform at that level you don't go to the gym. Why can't he add that much weight? Because he has a slight frame, not a spark plug type frame like Hill has.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

He was at a world class strength and conditioning program at Texas 

If he couldn't even put on 10 or 11 lb in years there.. he probably only has 5 lb he could add to his frame with an NFL strength coach

He certainly doesn't have 20 lb to add while keeping his explosiveness and agility.. he's not built like Tyreek Hill at all

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Reminds me of Marquise Goodwin in this regard.... 

• Like (+1) 1