Down to One Cat - Need Input

Gugny

Ingredients: 1,300 grams of cat meat, 150 grams of pork (lean)

Accessories: 15 grams of wolfberry, 10 grams of longan, 90 grams of sugar cane

Seasoning: 15g rice wine, 5g salt, 2g MSG, 2g pepper, 20g chicken fat, 10g green onion, 10g ginger

(1) Cut cat meat and pork into 4 cm square pieces. Wash the wolfberry and longan meat separately with warm water. Wash the sugar cane, split it, and chop it into 4 pieces. Cut the green onion into sections and cut the ginger into slices.

(2) Heat the lard in a pot, add onions and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, add cooking wine, water and cat meat. After the water boils, skim off the floating foam. After the cat meat is cooked and shrunk, take it out and wash it with warm water. Boil the pork in boiling water and wash thoroughly.

(3) Use a stew pot, put cat meat, pork, wolfberry, longan meat, and sugar cane together, add salt, cooking wine, green onion, and ginger, pour in chicken broth, and steam until mashed. Remove the onions, ginger, sugar cane, pork, add MSG and pepper, adjust the taste and serve

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Drive far away and let the cat out the car. 

The cat will find it's way home. There are remarkable stories about cats traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles to find their owners.

Longest documented case was a cat that went from Dunkirk, NY to Colorado, over 1600 miles in 4 months and found it's owners after it ran off the night before they moved.

The cat had never been there before and it's not like it had any clue where they were going. 

Researchers and Scientists have put out many theories about how they seemingly do it but none of them really make much sense.

The only thing that makes sense is that somehow the cats have an internal GPS of their humans that they can use to track them. Seems preposterous but it's the only thing that can explain many of these situations.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

You have no idea how over the top this is. Seriously. 

See if there is someone that wants the cat?

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The only thing that makes sense is that somehow the cats have an internal GPS of their humans that they can use to track them. Seems preposterous but it's the only thing that can explain many of these situations

I don't think it's the people as much as it is the place.

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think it's the people as much as it is the place.

If a cat has never been to a place before how does it find it?

The family lived in Dunkirk and were moving to Colorado for a job. They had never been there before they left that day.

This is often the case ..the cat finds them in a place they had never been to before hundreds or thousands of miles away. How?

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Six years ago, I shared my house with my wife, my son, three cats and a dog. 

Wife left me 5 years ago. Dog died shortly thereafter. One cat passed away three months ago … a few weeks after my son moved out. Another passed last week.

So now it’s just me and one cat.

Her name is Lazy.  She’s 14. 

Since the last cat passed, Lazy has been clingy and noisy. 

I can’t watch Jeopardy. I can’t enjoy Mets games. I might lock her downstairs tomorrow night so I can enjoy the Bills game. 

I feel like I’m down to two choices:

1. Get another cat to keep Lazy company

2. Bring Lazy to the vet to have her euthanized. 

I’m on a fixed income, so I’m leaning (heavily) toward euthanasia. 

I’ve been saddled with these animals for the last 20+ years. I get another kitten now and I’m stuck until I ***** retire. 

Just throwing it out there to see what you guys would do.

I love Lazy, but I think I’ve paid my dues.

Thanks and Go Bills!

I mean… have you ever considered writing a country song about it?

(At first I felt bad that this was my initial reaction… then I read the part about euthanizing the cat and thought… meh 🤷‍♂️)

My actual advice would be to give the cat more than a week to adjust to the death of her companion before making a decision on another cat or on euthanizing this one. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Wife left me 5 years ago. Dog died shortly thereafter. One cat passed away three months ago … a few weeks after my son moved out. Another passed last week.

I can’t watch Jeopardy. I can’t enjoy Mets games. I might lock her downstairs tomorrow night so I can enjoy the Bills game. 

I’ve been saddled with these animals for the last 20+ years. I get another kitten now and I’m stuck until I ***** retire. 

Thanks and Go Bills!

This sounds kinda like you’re dealing with some depression stuff.  Been down that road and still are to an extent

Hope you feel better

I was telling one of my patients yesterday that my cat was always like my little shadow always following me no matter where I went and I would get annoyed on rare occasions and shoosh him away when all he wanted was to sit next to me or sit on my lap, because I was all he had. The little guy ended up developing a rare form of skin cancer and died. To this day I kick myself sometimes for whooshing him away when he just wanted to be with me especially in those days right before the cancer came on or got bad.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thanks and Go Bills!

Your cat is lonely because she's lost everybody in her world except you.  She probably won't accept another cat (been there, tried that) at her age, so you're her family.   Give her the attention she needs.   If you truly love Lazy, then you would only consider euthanasia because health issues, hers or yours.   Besides, what's so onerous about  petting cat or playing with it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

my cat just turned 19, so this thing might be around for a while.   i noticed our cat getting really noisy a bit ago, but it has slowed down with age.  it seems like his hearing has been really compromised, so i always wondered if he was making more noise because he was going deaf and trying to figure it out.  

Your vet isn’t just going to kill your cat because you’re sick of taking care of it. I really hope this is a troll thread.

If you really don’t want it, put it up for adoption.

if this is actually a serious thread and you are in WNY I am willing to try and find someone to take it for you if you can’t.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

Dude, don't put the cat down if it's in good health. You got the cat in the first place, you knew the baggage that came with it and maybe the longevity of life. Putting an animal down because you've had enough of it or you don't want to deal with it, is an open excuse for anyone in a marriage.

Give the poor thing some dignity and let it die of its own volition......or hammer it over the head with a shovel (the shovel is the best tool cause you can use it to dig the hole, hammer the cat over the melon and then use it to scoop it up and dump it in the hole).........but hey, what do i know?

I'm hoping you're kidding about putting a perfectly healthy cat down just because you're annoyed. At LEAST see if anyone else wants to adopt her or if the SPCA would take her. 

If the cat is grieving her lost companions, which cats absolutely do -- then you shutting her out and shunning her will likely only exacerbate the situation. 

Here's an article about how to help a grieving (read: stressed, anxious) cat. It sounds like your cat is exhibiting a lot of the symptoms described herein. It also discusses the considerations you should make before adding a new pet to the household.

https://be.chewy.com/how-to-help-your-grieving-cat/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=14076094048&utm_content=124785787629&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo8S3BhDeARIsAFRmkOPEs425YpLg1fF_Tv0hXenp2gPR7W2D2Kx7ZDLPGjCZDUSFBRJbyr8aAni8EALw_wcB

Furthermore, here are a couple other suggestions to help her chill out.

The first is a powder you sprinkle in her wet food once a day. It helps anxious/loud/"extra" cats chill out.

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets/dp/335319?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=187961379&utm_content=158804942776&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo8S3BhDeARIsAFRmkOMGzSe-nfWtXmB3m63UI8xQ8V5mxlazn-dOFunNTkIzRES389VmpvQaAlO5EALw_wcB

The second is a plug-in for the wall that emits calming pheromones and relieves feline stress.

https://us.feliway.com/products/feliway-optimum-diffuser-refill-kit-48ml-30-day?utm_term=feliway+diffuser&utm_campaign=Feliway+-+Search+-+Branded+Terms&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=3846559876&hsa_cam=9978332535&hsa_grp=100203692149&hsa_ad=433334597498&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-295802022449&hsa_kw=feliway+diffuser&hsa_mt=b&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo8S3BhDeARIsAFRmkONLagHESwHu-1EwVwvCZx6VnCZypebBOZGCoWRF1e9MlFo_ASq1oZ0aAhpaEALw_wcB&variant=39847905394823

Good luck. Be patient. Give it a little time and try some of the things in the article. And in the name of empathy and compassion, don't kill the cat. Put up ads around the neighborhood (you'd be surprised how many people might want to adopt a sweet, old cat) or bring her to a shelter. Godspeed.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2