Does anybody else prefer to watch Bills games alone?

ChronicAndKnuckles

I usually watch games alone.  Sometimes I watch with my wife.  I'd rather watch alone than with my wife.  She's not really a football fan and will sometime ask questions or make comments out of her football ignorance that are annoying.  I think watching with another true fan or multiple fans might be fun, but it's not something for which I feel a need.  Also, I'm not into sports bars, so I just head to my man cave for games.

• Like (+1) 1

I have not read all the posts to this thread.

Personally, I don't prefer to watch alone.  I enjoy the company of others, and for football games in general, I don't mind a bunch of people around.  In fact, I really enjoy it.  That said for MY TEAMS (the Bills, and my alma mater Michigan Wolverines), I only prefer to be around CERTAIN people.  Those people have to meet the following criteria:

• Focus on the game, or leave the room.  No idle chit chat about topics unrelated to the game.
  • Understand the basics of football.  Don't get up to refill your drink, walking right in front of the TV, on 4th and 1.
  • put your f'ing phone down!  We're here to watch the Bills play, not to see what's up on your social media account.
  • Know me and that I am going to be loud and making commentary on every play.  (The right tackle flinched!  Did you see that?  How could they not call that?)
    • Don't tell me to calm down, take it easy, it's not a big deal, or it's only football....I've been looking forward to this all week (or longer) and I'm emotionally invested in it.  I will calm down and get back to reality at some point after the game.  Football certainly is not life, and there are other things more important than football, but for those 3 hours, let me live in that world.
      • There is one caveat.  If your house is on fire....This actually happened to me.  I was watching a game that I had recorded and did not know the outcome.  When this happens, I typically shut off my phone, so there are no interruptions or spoilers.  One time a few years ago, my phone rang a couple of times and I did not pick up.  A few minutes later, I looked out the window to see fire engines pulling up to my neighbors' house.  The older lady next door had a fire and was calling for help!  I felt lower than low!  Now, I will see who is calling, pick up the phone, and lead with "I'm watching the game on delay...if you know what happens, please don't say anything...how can I help?" 
Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/22/2024 at 1:56 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Or am I just a weirdo? I don’t like annoying interruptions or dumb commentary from casual fans. I prefer to soak everything in and become fully immersed in the game. I have a whole routine and everything has to be just perfect. It is almost like a religious experience for me. All distractions need to be gone. I want to enjoy the magic of Josh Allen with my giant Bills coffee mug and 420. Done are my going to the stadium totally hammered by half time days. Introverts unite 

I have no choice but to watch the games alone. I’m the only 1 who watches football.     fight wolf GIF by UFClonely wolf GIF by Look Human

• Like (+1) 1

I usually don’t mind if it’s just my wife. Last game I was getting a little edgy and wasn’t real nice to be around. So, she decided to go into the bedroom and watch and leave me by myself-which was fine with me. 
I would frequently hear her cheering when there wasn’t much to get excited about. I just assumed the 2 TVs were out of sync because of pausing. 
At halftime she came back out to the living room, happy that the Bills won.

????

The 24-10 halftime score didn’t compute with her. 
Not being all that TV savvy, she didn’t know the game was on Amazon. She’d turned on the bedroom TV, found the game, but she’d been watching a Sunday night Bills-Dolphins game being replayed on the NFL network from last year I think.