Does anybody else prefer to watch Bills games alone?

ChronicAndKnuckles

I prefer to watch at home with my family - now my wife and son who is still in town and comes over.  All the years I used to schlep to restaurants and bars with satellite before the Sunday Ticket - including literally almost every Sunday dragging my kids since they were babies - I'm done with that.

The one caveat is if things start going bad or getting really intense, and I start screaming and cursing too much, I'm self aware enough now when I start getting the side-eye from my wife and I voluntarily leave the room and go upstairs and watch in solitude from my bedroom (also allows me to mute the sound if desired and potentially change the mojo and alter the game outcome :p).  Just about every big close game in the last 5 yrs that the Bills lost, I've watched the end of the game alone in my room.  That sounds pretty sad now that I'm actually typing it out 😛

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Or am I just a weirdo? I don’t like annoying interruptions or dumb commentary from casual fans. I prefer to soak everything in and become fully immersed in the game. I have a whole routine and everything has to be just perfect. It is almost like a religious experience for me. All distractions need to be gone. I want to enjoy the magic of Josh Allen with my giant Bills coffee mug and 420. Done are my going to the stadium totally hammered by half time days. Introverts unite 

Absolutely. I want to be fully focused on the game. But for me it's a nice Belgian Blonde Ale and a blunt to get game-ready.

• Like (+1) 1

As of this moment, 46 people indicated with emojis that they agree with you in some fashion, so it seems you're not alone.

Me? I prefer to watch alone. I attend one game a year live, and I watch one game a year at the Bills bar. Other than those, I prefer to watch alone. Why? Because I'm watching the game to WATCH THE GAME. I don't wanna make small talk, discuss how things are going at work, do shots every five minutes, or have some drunk guy shouting in my ear that he's upset they're running the ball so much (even though they're up three scores in the 4th quarter). In short, many fans view games as social events, where the drinking and socializing are the main event and the game is just background. That is NOT me. I really genuinely and truly love watching and experiencing football games to the fullest extent possible, and that's best done without the distracting nonsense of social situations.

When it's a really big game -- say, a divisional playoff game -- I'll sometimes consider going to a Bills bar just to be around the comradery of other fans and sing the Shout song and so that I have somewhere to put all my nervous energy. That's few and far between, though. Usually it's just me, a well selected craft beer, some pizza, and nothing else.

p.s. This is also the best way to watch a Super Bowl.

I like to watch the games alone and always have done.  I like to lock in on the game and don't get involved in social media interactions (or even TSW game day threads) during the game, at least until late in the 4th quarter when the game is in hand.

Well that was always the way until late last season and so far this season when my 16 year old son has started watching games with me which has been really cool.  Glad to say he is all in on the Bills and we enjoy the experience together.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ll watch with my son when college is on break but even he talks too much. lol. I have to tell him to zip it sometimes. and i silence all my phone notifications because every distant family member and friends like to chatter about every other play. I go into bunker mode.

I watched the cardinals game at my neighbors with a bunch of other people. When the bs roughing call extended the drive for the cardinals and essentially gifted them the TD, I shouted out and was upset.

Other people looked at me like I was nuts. 

I dont want to watch games with those kinds of people.

I used to watch the game with my parents, but over the years even after Josh, they are so negative. Every bad play is the end of the world and they need to be benched. 

I dont want to watch games with those kinds of people. I like a positive environment.

My neighbor who is a bills fan wants to go somewhere to watch the game tonight. I will probably take him up on that as I dont want to be yelling at the tv when kids and wife are trying to sleep. He is much more relaxed and doesnt seem to get into it the way I do (he is a bills fan from SoCal, became a bills fan bc of OJ and never been to Buffalo for a home game).

I am not sure I want to watch the game with someone like that.....

21 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I prefer to go see a bunch of the guys at my favorite sports/wings bar down here in Tampa, talk smack, and then between 1st and 2nd quarters I’m home as it’s only 7/10 of a mile from my home.  Then myself and my new wife is getting used to Dan (me) watching the NFL.  She’s from China so her first football experience was watching me bark at the Cardinals game, and then of course the Fish.

She asks good questions and genuinely is trying to learn for me and even placed my extra license plate rim on her SUV supporting me.  Still newlyweds as married in early June Sowell see if that thing is on her plate in five years.

All kidding aside, I love watching either by myself or with my sons as they know almost as much about the NFL as me.  They know when to shut up during plays and hold conversations for commercials. 

One thing I’m adamant about is I won’t go to SB parties.  Too many casual fans and women talking during the game, amd can’t hear anything.  I gave up years ago after going to a SB party every year for a long time.  Now that’s annoying.

I wish I had a bar 7/10ths of a mile away!!  Mine is a good 20 minutes so hard to get home @ the 1/2 time and still see it IF it is on national TV.  My/our mode is if the game is national we watch at home....NO visitiors.  My wife is learning too.....for years didn't care now she is all over it.  Might be Josh tho!!!!  LOL

For games we need to stream we watch at a local place that is mostly Bills fans which is fun and mostly enjoyable.  We kinda surround ourselves with like minded people who don't chatter mindlessly and cheer madly!

Go Bills!!!

PS - MGK, I might hit you up later this year to stop at your local bar and watch from there.  Whats the name of the place???

I am happiest watching alone in my man cave. 

I set up my stuff (Cards and memorabilia) before the games

I want to scream and jump and aware and act the fool in private with full access to the things i want Like drinks, food, bathroom, 420 etc.. 

I also let the game run 15-30 min before i watch so i can skip halftime and some 2 min Commercials and just keep going... 

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

I wish I had a bar 7/10ths of a mile away!!  Mine is a good 20 minutes so hard to get home @ the 1/2 time and still see it IF it is on national TV.  My/our mode is if the game is national we watch at home....NO visitiors.  My wife is learning too.....for years didn't care now she is all over it.  Might be Josh tho!!!!  LOL

For games we need to stream we watch at a local place that is mostly Bills fans which is fun and mostly enjoyable.  We kinda surround ourselves with like minded people who don't chatter mindlessly and cheer madly!

Go Bills!!!

PS - MGK, I might hit you up later this year to stop at your local bar and watch from there.  Whats the name of the place???

McDivots but in Westchase.  Just DM me and I think we have 1 pm games for the Cheats and Fish.

if works for you we can just do a half or the whole game.  If memory serves you’re up in NPR so as long as you know it’s not a Bills bar, but just a great watering hole that a lot of different fans go to and some fun guys.

i think I left you my name and cel on a dm so call me whenever.  Us Bills Mafia guys should stick together.  They are pretty good as far as guys.  My wife will give me a hall pass for the game if she knows I’m meeting a soon to be old friend.

I have always watched the games by myself. I live in VA, I'm the only Bills fan in the house, and I scream at the TV like everyone can hear me at times. Still, I've mellowed out over the years. Not as much yelling. But for some reason, I find myself clapping a lot more often. :lol: 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Absolutely. I want to be fully focused on the game. But for me it's a nice Belgian Blonde Ale and a blunt to get game-ready.

You smoke an entire blunt?  Man, I remember the days, but the bud is too good now.  I go with edibles and have my pen to complement-  

and music

• Like (+1) 1

I used to watch the games alone. Then in an act of really bad karma , I passed on the curse of being a Bills fan to my two sons. Now I usually watch with them and embarrass myself by ranting and raving at the Tv set when something Billsy takes place or the inevitable bad luck or incompetent officiating surfaces.  My wife has no interest in being a Bills fan and in fact does not like who I morph into during those 3 hours! So we watch from the basement TV far away from earshot!