Week 3 - Around the NFL

chongli

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Those 2 play calls, while I agree bad, in a week 3 game are not defining the career of a coach. That is an overreaction.

That stupid weak second yellow at the end of the half was a BS call that cost Arsenal the game. People here complain about NFL refs, but soccer refs are way worse because everything is a judgement call. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

They are tinkering and managing Kelce

They did this last year

I'm not sure they are tinkering I just think this is who they are right now. They are a small ball offense that needs to win running the ball and throwing short for many of the same reasons as the Bills offense. And that is going to let teams hang around which means their defense will need to win them some games. Their defense can win them those games, and as long as Rice continues producing while Pacheco is out and Kelce is not quite himself they have just enough to get it done offensively. But I don't seem much sign that they could just turn the explosion on if they wanted to at this stage. Maybe if they can develop Worthy as the season goes along that will change but at the moment this is how they gotta play.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That stupid weak second yellow at the end of the half was a BS call that cost Arsenal the game. People here complain about NFL refs, but soccer refs are way worse because everything is a judgement call. 

Top soccer refs >>>>>NFL refs

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There was a terrible call vs Chris Jones earlier. There was a bad call vs mcduffie on the final drive too (that was not dpi). This stuff evens out and you can’t excuse the terrible playcalling at the end when ATL had the freaking game in their hands. Come on.

I am not excusing it and the bad McDuffie call was an easy makeup call. That it still a brutal DPI to miss in the endzone inside 4 minutes. And I am the LAST guy to buy into the "its an officiating conspiracy" narrative. But that was a shockingly bad no call.

I'm not sure they are tinkering I just think this is who they are right now. They are a small ball offense that needs to win running the ball and throwing short for many of the same reasons as the Bills offense. And that is going to let teams hang around which means their defense will need to win them some games. Their defense can win them those games, and as long as Rice continues producing while Pacheco is out and Kelce is not quite himself they have just enough to get it done offensively. But I don't seem much sign that they could just turn the explosion on if they wanted to at this stage. Maybe if they can develop Worthy as the season goes along that will change but at the moment this is how they gotta play.

Worthy is not a good route runner. He has made a career to this point running by dudes. That won’t work in the NFL, no matter how fast you are.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I actually don't think it was. The Rice one against Brighton (also for delaying a restart) 3 weeks ago WAS a BS soft call when he rolled the ball about a foot. But the Premier League has made kicking the ball away to delay a restart a point of emphasis this season, Trossard volleyed the ball away already on a booking. It was idiotic. And it definitely cost us 2 points. If Arsenal have a complaint today it is where 7 minutes of added time came from when the ball was in play 35 minutes 2nd half (the joint highest in any 2nd half so far this season). But we'd have played until Man City equalised anyway.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mahomes isn't going to play much worse

Veach didn't move up to get worthy for Reid not to work him into the offense

Kelce didn't have the greatest 2023 regular season and went off in the playoffs

This is the worst they are going to be 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I actually don't think it was. The Rice one against Brighton (also for delaying a restart) 3 weeks ago WAS a BS soft call when he rolled the ball about a foot. But the Premier League has made kicking the ball away to delay a restart a point of emphasis this season, Trossard volleyed the ball away already on a booking. It was idiotic. And it definitely cost us 2 points. If Arsenal have a complaint today it is where 7 minutes of added time came from when the ball was in play 35 minutes 2nd half (the joint highest in any 2nd half so far this season). But we'd have played until Man City equalised anyway.

I just hate Man City because they used to suck until they got rich owners. Bought glory. 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Top soccer refs >>>>>NFL refs

I agree with this FWIW. Although I don't think we have any top refs currently in England. The standard I see in Champions League games and at the Euros in the summer is way better than we have to contend with on a week to week basis in the Premier League. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They are tinkering and managing Kelce

They did this last year

I disagree, I just think this is sort of what they are now. Their tackles are pretty bad (LT rookie was benched for the backup, and we already know RT Jawaan Taylor kind of stinks), but the interior of their line is elite. So they run up the gut and can't have Mahomes standing back there too long for long developing passing plays. Not to mention I don't think WR are really getting open down the field much.

I don't think in the playoffs they will suddenly become a vertical passing team when they've been passing around the line of scrimmage all year. This year is all about leaning on the defense and playing small ball for them.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

100% agree.

And as they've shown every year, even when they're not playing well, they still win anyway. Even if I see Mahomes throw multiple INTs every week, I'm not passing judgement until it starts to dramatically affect their record. They're reminding me of the early 2000's Lakers, showing signs of rust or weakness during the season, then playoffs come around & they hit a different gear.

I agree Mahomes can play better than he is now. My point isn't about whether this is the best they can be. It is about this being the style that they need to be. And on Worthy there is just a lot of work to do. He isn't a route runner and when they just line him up wide and try and run vertical DBs are getting physical with him at the line. How quickly he comes along who knows. Maybe by the playoffs he is there and then it changes the way this offense and as such the team can play. But right now? This is who the Chiefs offense has to be in terms of style - run and throw short. I think the Hollywood Brown loss is bigger than credited. He would have given them the space to bring Worthy along slowly. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

100% agree.

And as they've shown every year, even when they're not playing well, they still win anyway. Even if I see Mahomes throw multiple INTs every week, I'm not passing judgement until it starts to dramatically affect their record. They're reminding me of the early 2000's Lakers, showing signs of rust or weakness during the season, then playoffs come around & they hit a different gear.

The easier comparison is the Pats, with everyone claiming they are dead because they lost one game in October then they win like 4 more SBs.

We were there. We were there the day “We’re onto Cincinnati ” was born.

Edited by RoscoeParrish

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I just hate Man City because they used to suck until they got rich owners. Bought glory. 

I hate them because they are petulant as *****. The complaint on our first goal today and the way they surrounded the ref was disgusting. The mood was set when Rodri dived to try and get Havertz sent off after 10 seconds. That he looks like he has done his knee trying to dive for a penalty later ib the half may be karma.

It's really a shockingly bad call. All this talent on offense and in THE critical moment of the game you're instead putting it all on your offensive line who has been bad the whole night, when you don't even have the numbers needed for the play to have a chance.

The thing about the Chiefs is they never do stuff like this in critical end of game situations. Never. They just wait for their opponent to blink and hand them the win for free. It's happened in every game they've won this year so far.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

The easier comparison is the Pats, with everyone claiming they are dead because they lost one game in October then they win like 4 more SBs.

We were there. We were there the day “We’re onto Cincinnati ” was born.

Short memories

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I disagree, I just think this is sort of what they are now. Their tackles are pretty bad (LT rookie was benched for the backup, and we already know RT Jawaan Taylor kind of stinks), but the interior of their line is elite. So they run up the gut and can't have Mahomes standing back there too long for long developing passing plays. Not to mention I don't think WR are really getting open down the field much.

I don't think in the playoffs they will suddenly become a vertical passing team when they've been passing around the line of scrimmage all year. This year is all about leaning on the defense and playing small ball for them.

Good teams find ways to stack wins in the regular season for the best playoffs seeding. Style points are meaningless in the NFL. They’re doing exactly what they’ve done the last couple of seasons. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

We were there. We were there the day “We’re onto Cincinatti” was born.

The Pats also went 9 seasons between Super Bowl wins during their dynasty. I don't think anybody is claiming the Chiefs aren't going to make the playoffs (they are obviously going to run away with their division), but they don't look SB-worthy.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

100% agree.

The thing is they were still a small ball offense even in the playoffs last year. They let an undermanned Bills team hang around and could have lost. They beat the Ravens scoring 17 and basically relying on their redzone defense and then they were small ball in the Superbowl too but for one bomb to Hardman. 

While I think the Chiefs can improve on what they are doing now I am not sure that is by playing differently so much as it is just doing small ball better. 

• Agree 1