Fran Tarkenton- I was Patrick Mahomes before there was a Patrick Mahomes

Draconator

21 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Fran was a talented scrambling QB.  I used to enjoy watching him play.  And I remember hearing him once say he loved football so much that he would have played it for free.  I like it when guys love their sport.  

But, yikes, whining for credit isn't a good look.

Unfortunately whining for credit does work for a lot of people

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, Draconator said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5766363/2024/09/18/fran-tarkenton-vikings-scrambling/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwY2xjawFcGTFleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHXKP1N0rGldrqko9CYvZHOet5gncf2wQHo77C3lgbSA3HdJla47Znm07yQ_aem_j2fGY7m39KeJMO38Es2kng

“Because the field is spread out more,” Tarkenton said. “I watch Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes doesn’t do anything I didn’t do. Nothing.”

I was a kid when he played and he was definately an electric player... however, he needed to win one .... 

• Like (+1) 1

Those of us who are over 50 know what a revolutionary figure that Fran Tarkenton was. When he left the game, he owned virtually every passing record and rushing record at the QB position. And he did this during an era when these modern rules designed to aid the passing game were NOT in place.  He also played with tons of heart -- I believe he was only about 5'10", so not much bigger than Flutie, and managed to play in the league for about 20 years.

I know he gets a lot of grief for going 0-3 in Super Bowls, but he played against some legendary defenses in those games -- and the Vikings own revered defense (Purple People Eaters) had trouble stopping those AFC offenses.

Old joke:

"First and ten Vikings, Tarkenton barking the signals at the line, here's the snap, Tarkenton drops back, now he starts to scramble.  Defenders giving chase, Tarkenton gets away from a tackler and scrambles some more.  Still going ... now he loads up and lets it fly, and it's a bomb!  Sammy White comes down with it!  What a throw and what a catch!  Vikings ball, second and 12."

On 9/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, Big Turk said:

It's the male version of Paulina Porizkova being so desperate for male attention now in her older years that she poses naked and has to tell everyone to go look at it because she needs the attention that she no longer gets like the did in her younger years.

Who?