Fran Tarkenton- I was Patrick Mahomes before there was a Patrick Mahomes

Draconator

16 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Mahomes wouldn't be able to get away with what he does now if the rules of the 1970s applied. Mahomes gets away with so much because defenders can't physically take his head off, or deliberately try to hurt him like they did QBs back then. Same with receivers. Guys like Kelce would have been taken out with headshots doing what he does and wouldn't be able to easily run open over the middle. 

Every QB today needs to be graded more harshly and guys back then given more praise due to this. 

Sad, but true. We are talking about star QB's back then, who didn't get RTP hardly at all. If they got one, they earned it the hard way.

Let alone decent QB's or below, who basically never got one called 

That's why you just can't compare era's of players in sports. 

I.E. Pistons, Flyers, Raiders, Bob Gibson & more MLB strike zone "establishers"

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Prick gets into Canton and he still says this crap?  Douche. 

I didn't read the article (no access) so I have no context besides the one quote from OP.  Was that quote in line with other quotes from the article? 

Personally I think you got set off when someone compared him to Flutie 😜

1 hour ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Mahomes wouldn't be able to get away with what he does now if the rules of the 1970s applied. Mahomes gets away with so much because defenders can't physically take his head off, or deliberately try to hurt him like they did QBs back then. Same with receivers. Guys like Kelce would have been taken out with headshots doing what he does and wouldn't be able to easily run open over the middle. 

Every QB today needs to be graded more harshly and guys back then given more praise due to this. 

Meh...they are still bigger, stronger and faster than players of that era were. They would be just fine.

14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I didn't read the article (no access), was Tarkenton claiming he was more accomplished than Mahomes?

I didn't read the article either. I could care less what a QB from 50-60 years ago pining for attention thinks about today's game.

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I didn't read the article either. I could care less what a QB from 50-60 years ago pining for attention thinks about today's game.

Got it, glad you took the time for this reply and your original post about something you could care less about. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Meh...they are still bigger, stronger and faster than players of that era were. They would be just fine.

Jack Tatum paralyzed a guy (Stingley) because he purposely would head hunt guys (launch head first into receivers, backs and QBs). Many players on teams like the Raiders were known for purposefully trying to hurt players and alot of it was not called as penalties. Kelce or Hill or Mahomes would have just been headhunted to the sidelines dealing with them or Jack Lambert and the Steel Curtain Steelers, etc. Mahomes and Kelce cry like babies when barely touched. 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Got it, glad you took the time for this reply and your original post about something you could care less about. 

Yup no problem. "I'm Fran Tarkenton, I ran around a football field too as a quarterback", how come people dont recognize me for my accomplishments.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's the male version of Paulina Porizkova being so desperate for male attention now in her older years that she poses naked and has to tell everyone to go look at it because she needs the attention that she no longer gets like the did in her younger years.

Link?

Yeah, Fran Tarkenton scrambled a lot, but I don't think he had the ability that Mahomes and Allen have both show to improvise passing plays when the called play breaks down.  Both Allen and Mahomes are better passers than Tarkenton was.

32 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Yeah, Fran Tarkenton scrambled a lot, but I don't think he had the ability that Mahomes and Allen have both show to improvise passing plays when the called play breaks down.  Both Allen and Mahomes are better passers than Tarkenton was.

I am sure they are better than at least 90% of professional QBs in history if you include Mahomes' whining.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's the male version of Paulina Porizkova being so desperate for male attention now in her older years that she poses naked and has to tell everyone to go look at it because she needs the attention that she no longer gets like the did in her younger years.

That comparison wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years.   But I see your point... I think.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fran retired as the all time passing leader

Something Patrick mahomes will probably not do... Fran does deserve way more respect 

I agree.  I just he'd let others champion his cause while remaining humble.  

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

That comparison wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years.   But I see your point... I think.  

I agree.  I just he'd let others champion his cause while remaining humble.  

True 

I've always appreciated guys who prop others up and don't play their own success