Fran Tarkenton- I was Patrick Mahomes before there was a Patrick Mahomes

Draconator

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5766363/2024/09/18/fran-tarkenton-vikings-scrambling/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwY2xjawFcGTFleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHXKP1N0rGldrqko9CYvZHOet5gncf2wQHo77C3lgbSA3HdJla47Znm07yQ_aem_j2fGY7m39KeJMO38Es2kng

“Because the field is spread out more,” Tarkenton said. “I watch Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes doesn’t do anything I didn’t do. Nothing.”

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 2

Fran was a talented scrambling QB.  I used to enjoy watching him play.  And I remember hearing him once say he loved football so much that he would have played it for free.  I like it when guys love their sport.  

But, yikes, whining for credit isn't a good look.

• Agree 1

Fran was fun to watch, his style was odd looking compared to all the pocket passers back then, most QBs back then were not athletic in that way, Minnesota, like us lost four championships, but not as wonderfully as we did, we did it best, 😁👍

25 minutes ago, Draconator said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5766363/2024/09/18/fran-tarkenton-vikings-scrambling/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwY2xjawFcGTFleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHXKP1N0rGldrqko9CYvZHOet5gncf2wQHo77C3lgbSA3HdJla47Znm07yQ_aem_j2fGY7m39KeJMO38Es2kng

“Because the field is spread out more,” Tarkenton said. “I watch Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes doesn’t do anything I didn’t do. Nothing.”

Him and Mahomes actually do have a very similar style. 

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I was born in 73 so I never seen this QB play.

You tube him, he was pretty crazy. Flutie, before Flutie & then some. 

He ran for his life many times, because back in his day, lineman,LB's could try to take the lives of QB's with no penalties. 

Edited by PonyBoy
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

Tarkenton didn't even have close to the arm strength Mahomes did...or Allen whose arm is even stronger.

Also, he hasn't done anything you haven't Fran? How about win Superbowls?

Edited by Big Turk

He was fun to watch that's for sure, but this just comes across as a sad attempt for attention and validation.

If he wants to compare himself to Mahomes, then why isn't he also comparing their Super Bowl rings?

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

He was fun to watch that's for sure, but this just comes across as a sad attempt for attention and validation.

If he wants to compare himself to Mahomes, then why isn't he also comparing their Super Bowl rings?

It's the male version of Paulina Porizkova being so desperate for male attention now in her older years that she poses naked and has to tell everyone to go look at it because she needs the attention that she no longer gets like the did in her younger years.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

I don't know.  I mean Mahomes has 3 Super Bowls.  Tarkenton is still working on his first.

Patrick Mahomes is a superb pocket passer who, on top of that, can scramble with outstanding results.

Fran Tarkenton was an average pocket passer who scrambled to create effectiveness.

In short, Mahomes scrambles, but he doesn’t have to in order to be great.

Tarkenton was average without scrambling.