Which NFL team/teams will relocate next?

major

14 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

St. Louis deserves a team again. They got screwed over by their scumbag owner. 

St. Louis Chargers?  They do get a lot of lightning down there

Will brick me back to 2003 when Marshall Faulk was on the cover of Madden and that Kurt Warner used to bag groceries 

14 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

A municipality won’t but a rich person could easily

The reason franchises move is incentives given by a city and or state. Most rich people are rich because they are not stupid. Las Vegas and Nevada gave the Raiders $750mm to move there. Name a large market city that doesn’t already have an NFL franchise that would be willing to do this.

45 minutes ago, chris heff said:

The reason franchises move is incentives given by a city and or state. Most rich people are rich because they are not stupid. Las Vegas and Nevada gave the Raiders $750mm to move there. Name a large market city that doesn’t already have an NFL franchise that would be willing to do this.

We agree on that, they will potentially do whatever makes the most money and that could be with incentives from a city or with the ability to make more money in a bigger market with more disposable income.

37 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

We agree on that, they will potentially do whatever makes the most money and that could be with incentives from a city or with the ability to make more money in a bigger market with more disposable income.

The problem is, what cities are left? If you Google cities by population in the top 20 every city either has an NFL team or a major college program, except for San Antonio. I just don’t see the Cowboys or Texans wanting a franchise there. As for the college teams, the NFL made a mistake with Jacksonville, it is Gator country, they have trouble filling that stadium. It’s why they are willing to play multiple games abroad.

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

The problem is, what cities are left? If you Google cities by population in the top 20 every city either has an NFL team or a major college program, except for San Antonio. I just don’t see the Cowboys or Texans wanting a franchise there. As for the college teams, the NFL made a mistake with Jacksonville, it is Gator country, they have trouble filling that stadium. It’s why they are willing to play multiple games abroad.

There are over a dozen larger markets that don’t have nfl teams.  That does not mean they will be successful.  You also have to consider international that is a huge potential windfall for the first team that makes that move. Not saying it is likely to happen but the bills are on the shorter list of teams that can move when you consider the ownership situation.  It is not easy to pass an nfl franchise down in an estate. 

31 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There are over a dozen larger markets that don’t have nfl teams.  That does not mean they will be successful.  You also have to consider international that is a huge potential windfall for the first team that makes that move. Not saying it is likely to happen but the bills are on the shorter list of teams that can move when you consider the ownership situation.  It is not easy to pass an nfl franchise down in an estate. 

That’s true, but are they large enough to come up with that kind of money. It’s not just the $850mm that NY and Erie County get, they would have to pay for a portion of a new stadium. I don’t believe international expansion is ever going to happen, I knew the commissioner of the long gone North American Soccer League, he told me it takes three generations of kids playing a sport before a league will be viable. A lot of parents won’t let their children play football here and suddenly European parents are going to? As to estate taxes that is true if the owners only asset is the franchise (Mike Brown or Mark Davis). The Pegulas have plenty of money to pay the taxes and they are also looking into selling 25% of the franchise for that purpose. Not to mention that both Terry and Kim would have to be deceased for taxes to be due. Kim may be incapacitated, but she is only 55 years old. This thread is about which team is likely to relocate next, there are more likely candidates than the Bills.

On 9/21/2024 at 3:42 PM, amprov56 said:

I have been hearing the Bills are moving since the 1960’s, pick your reason.

All I am saying is the high cost of PSL's and the higher cost of tickets, coupled with a few bottom dwelling seasons in a row will make for empty seats. Or to the PSL point, they will be resold dirt cheap because nobody will buy them for initial pricing during a losing stretch. In this modern era an empty stadium will lead to realistic talks about relocation of a franchise. 

I used to have a couple of club seat season tickets. I almost put a deposit on seats for the new stadium but didn't because everything was too hush hush on the costs of the seats and PSLs. Now I find out that similar seats to what I had will cost 40k to 50k per seat. Our rec association at work has 4 club seats and 4 sideline seats. This has led to the decision not to get the club seats and is highly unlikely that the sideline seats will be renewed. Upon figuring in how many other similar scenarios there are out there, there will be a lot of empty seats, maybe not, maybe not initially but there will come a day. And if there is a recession, that day will come sooner.

You have to think the NFL would like to get into Toronto some day still.   That is an immense market with a crazy diverse/international population.   They unlock Canada by giving them a team.  Canadians do like the NFL, but if they had a rooting interest (even though most hate Toronto, they are still Jays fans out of national pride), it would be $$$.

Montreal could be down the line too, as that would be an insane NFL market and probably out-do Buffalo in fan lunacy.

They seem to really want this London/Europe thing to happen.  Logistically, it just seems really hard still.  

There really aren't any un-tapped US markets, really.  You have St Louis, Orlando, San Diego?   Most current franchises seem to be under fairly stable footing within their cities.  It seems like if the NFL made the bold move of expanding, and bringing in a few more mouths to feed with their media deals, it would be for some big international swings.   

On 9/21/2024 at 2:17 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

The Cardinals were originally the Chicago Cardinals and moved to St Louis in 1960.  They then moved to AZ in 1988.

The Rams started as the Cleveland Rams.  The moved to LA in 1946.  They then replaced the Cards in St Louis from 1995 to 2015 and then back to LA in 2016.  

You also forgot the Raiders are now in LV and that the Chargers actually started in LA (in 1960) before moving to SD for 1961 to 2016.  

Also KC started as the Dallas Texans in 1959 and moved to KC for the 1963 season.  Washington also moved from Boston (1932) to DC in 1937.

The Lions were originally the Portsmouth, OH Spartans (1930) and moved to Det in 1934.  The Bears were founded in Decatur, Ill (1919) (Not a pro team) and moved to Chicago in 1921.

Buffalo, Miami, NE/Bos, NYJ, Cinn, Cleve (2.0), Pitt, Hou (2.0), Jax, Den, Dallas, NYG, Atl, Car, NO, TB, SF and Sea are the only teams in their original cities.  Det, Wash, Chicago, and KC have been in their current cities for the vast majority of their existence.  

Tell us about the Steagles