Which NFL team/teams will relocate next?

major

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Also:

Baltimore to Indianapolis

Cleveland to Baltimore

St. Louis to Phoenix

Oakland to Los Angeles and back to Oakland

Houston to Nashville

And before my time:

Los Angeles to San Diego

The Cardinals were originally the Chicago Cardinals and moved to St Louis in 1960.  They then moved to AZ in 1988.

The Rams started as the Cleveland Rams.  The moved to LA in 1946.  They then replaced the Cards in St Louis from 1995 to 2015 and then back to LA in 2016.  

You also forgot the Raiders are now in LV and that the Chargers actually started in LA (in 1960) before moving to SD for 1961 to 2016.  

Also KC started as the Dallas Texans in 1959 and moved to KC for the 1963 season.  Washington also moved from Boston (1932) to DC in 1937.

The Lions were originally the Portsmouth, OH Spartans (1930) and moved to Det in 1934.  The Bears were founded in Decatur, Ill (1919) (Not a pro team) and moved to Chicago in 1921.

Buffalo, Miami, NE/Bos, NYJ, Cinn, Cleve (2.0), Pitt, Hou (2.0), Jax, Den, Dallas, NYG, Atl, Car, NO, TB, SF and Sea are the only teams in their original cities.  Det, Wash, Chicago, and KC have been in their current cities for the vast majority of their existence.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

Give the Bills about ten years, and then they move. High ticket prices coupled with high personal seat licenses will trigger very low attendance during a few years of a bottom dwelling rebuilding scenario. 

Maybe not.

Been hearing that line for over fifty years - "I'm telling you, they're gone!" Not going to happen!

15 hours ago, major said:

We’ve seen the raiders move to Las Vegas and the Chargers and Rams to LA. Who will be next? I’ve heard for years that the Jags would move to London but that fire has seemed to die down. I have one for you (and I’m not lying or making this up). The Hunt family is seriously considering moving the Chiefs back to Dallas. They (Hunt siblings) own FC Dallas soccer and have many ties (past and present) to the Dallas area. Mayor of Dallas wants an afc team and cotton bowl (original home of the Dallas Texans and cowboys) is currently being renovated. It all came to a head when KC voters rejected stadium deal. Stay tuned… 2030 is the target date. This could send Jerry Jones to the grave having competition in his neck of the woods. I can’t say where I got this from, but it’s someone in the know. 

It’s so hard to predict.  If you were to ask the average NFL fan in 2012 I’d guarantee the majority would predict Buffalo moving to Toronto

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oakland is and has been a ghetto for many decades. Not likely it’ll ever have a major sports franchise again in our lifetime.

It has, no argument, but I still feel for the fans that have been there since the early 1960's and will never forget the great Raiders - Chiefs rivalry going back to the old AFL.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, chris heff said:

If the Bills leave in the first 14 years they would have to repay all public funding, $600mm to NY State and $250mm to Erie County. What municipality or state is going to absorb that, plus having to build a new stadium, to get an NFL Franchise?

A municipality won’t but a rich person could easily

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, jcamm1966 said:

Saints can't play in horrible superdome forever

The Superdome continues to baffle me. The NFL forces teams to prematurely replace stadiums, but the Superdome continues to be awarded Super Bowl games. This is the type of stadium the NFL typically wants replaced. I’m not claiming to understand the situation. It’s just something I’ve always found confusing. 

• Agree 1

Love the fact that we are at the bottom of that TV market list and still have our NFL team. As cheap as Ralph was, he kept the team in Buffalo and the fans showing up through thick and thin had a LOT to do with that. Bill fans are the best fans in sports without a doubt

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

You also forgot the Raiders are now in LV and that the Chargers actually started in LA (in 1960) before moving to SD for 1961 to 2016.  

I did mention LA moving to San Diego in my last sentence. As for the Raiders, that was already mentioned in the post I responded to, so no need to mention it again.

And the rest of your post: you're like a walking encyclopedia! Damn! Thanks for the additions.

5 hours ago, jcamm1966 said:

Saints can't play in horrible superdome forever

The Benson family (mainly Tom Benson) has threatened to relocate the Saints several times. I think as early as 2001 Tom Benson threatened to move them if they didn't get the stadium renovation deal they wanted, there was also the Post-Katrina saga of the Saints possibly moving to San Antonio. I think Gayle Benson Tom's widow owns the Saints and the NOLA NBA team and it wouldn't shock me if she was willing to play hardball. I think the Jags and Saints are the two top relocation candidates. But both teams owners don't have any short terms plans for relocation it seems as both have gotten major renovation deals. 

Edited by billsfan89

19 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Carolina Panthers- Seems more like a college football area than a professional team. Owner is a meddler and the stadium is going on 30 years old now.

Not that I’m buying in personally but there is a fair amount of this sentiment in the Charlotte area. 
   Tepper isn’t quite hated yet but he is  truly disliked in these parts.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

The Superdome continues to baffle me. The NFL forces teams to prematurely replace stadiums, but the Superdome continues to be awarded Super Bowl games. This is the type of stadium the NFL typically wants replaced. I’m not claiming to understand the situation. It’s just something I’ve always found confusing. 

The Superdome is constantly being renovated. They most recently did a massive 450 million dollar renovation from 2020-2024. There was also a major Post Katrina repair and renovation in 2005-2006 that cost 336 million. There were also several smaller renovation projects one in 96/97 that was for 22 million (about 44 million in todays dollars), another one in 09-11 for 85 million, and a smaller renovation project in 2016 for another 40 million. Since 05/06 there has been over 900 million spent on renovating the stadium.

The NFL apparently likes to have the Super Bowl in NOLA due to the tourism infrastructure in place. Marti Gras takes place around the same time as the Super Bowl most years (give or take a week or two most years) so the city has a lot of experience in taking in a lot of tourists that time of year. The Superdome constantly being renovated also helps it keep up with newer venues. 

I think the concept of renovating a stadium massively every 20 years with a few smaller facelifts in between is a better way to go than building a brand new one every 30ish years. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BearNorth said:

My daughter lived in SD for 10 years after college, for some of them her apartment was right down the street from Qualcomm.  There are way too many things to do in San Diego on a beautiful fall/early winter afternoon other than watching football.  That's part of the problem.  I do think if they can overcome Jerrah & McNair, I could definitely see a team based in either Austin or San Antonio.  5 million people live in those two adjacent metropolitan areas, those two [after San Diego] are the largest cities without a team.

Despite the beautiful scenery & other things to do, San Diego had a very loyal (and sizeable) fan base.

It was purely stadium nonsense. The area could easily support a team & did so successfully for decades.

San Antonio could also support a team, but Jerry Jones is a prick & stone-walling things on that front. Completely disagree with the OP about an AFC team in Dallas. It would never happen.

Dallas could definitely support 2 x teams, the metro area is massive. There's also a ton of transplants that don't care about the Cowboys at all & would probably enjoy rooting for a non-Cowboys local team. But the Chiefs have too much history in KC, and whether they stay in MO or move across the border to KS, they'll stay local.

So if I had to guess which team would move, I'd also guess Chargers. No other team makes any sense. Most other teams are already in a big enough market, recently built (or are about to build) new stadiums, or couldn't find a better option than where they're already at.