Have you ever quit following a sports team?

Miyagi-Do Karate

On 9/20/2024 at 4:21 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was talking to a buddy today, and we were lamenting how as kids we loved baseball, but now no longer follow it.

i was a die-hard Mets fan (would probably watch just about every game on TV), and knew everything about the Mets and MLB.

in 2002, when they threw dumb money at Mo Vaughn, decided to try to outspend the Yankees, and fired my beloved Bobby V, I basically quit following them (and baseball) cold turkey. 

Anyone else doing something similar? 

Yes. I am a recovering Jet Fan. I grew up in Queens and lived there for many years. I used to go to Shea Stadium and watch them. I admit that the place was a dump (it was owned ny NYC) but whatever. When they moved to New Jersey I turned my back on them. I hold no gripes against those from NJ but I am a New Yorker.

To this day they don't have their own stadium, and my thing is screw the Jets. The day they left NYC, I became a Bills fan and never looked back, nor will I ever. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/6/2024 at 12:08 PM, boater said:

Sabres.

No playoffs since 2011. At least when the Bills had a drought, there were flashes of competitiveness. But the Sabres are just bad. I don't think Lindy has it in him to raise the team a level.

The Sabres drought is so much worse than the Bills drought.  The Bills only had 2 terrible seasons in that and remained relatively middle-of-the pack.  It is also harder to make the playoffs in the NFL than it is the NHL.  There was one year there were 31 teams, 24 made it and the Sabres failed!

I ran the statistical probability of missing the NHL playoffs the past 13 years based on the NHL's # of teams and playoff format.  There is a .003% chance of missing for the past 13 years.  3 Thousandths of a percent.  The Bills' drought was at .03%, which is pretty long, but the Sabres' drought is much more unlikely from a probability standpoint, thus a much bigger fail.

It halves every year too, so if they miss this season, it would be at a .0016% chance.  If they miss next season too (why not look ahead, Kevyn Adams is the GM), it would be .000825%

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The Sabres drought is so much worse than the Bills drought.  The Bills only had 2 terrible seasons in that and remained relatively middle-of-the pack.  It is also harder to make the playoffs in the NFL than it is the NHL.  There was one year there were 31 teams, 24 made it and the Sabres failed!

I ran the statistical probability of missing the NHL playoffs the past 13 years based on the NHL's # of teams and playoff format.  There is a .003% chance of missing for the past 13 years.  3 Thousandths of a percent.  The Bills' drought was at .03%, which is pretty long, but the Sabres' drought is much more unlikely from a probability standpoint, thus a much bigger fail.

It halves every year too, so if they miss this season, it would be at a .0016% chance.  If they miss next season too (why not look ahead, Kevyn Adams is the GM), it would be .000825%

I def remember the 2014 Bills would have made the playoffs if there was a numero 7 seed that year 

I gave up on the Rochester Red Wings (AAA baseball) when they moved from Silver Stadium in the city to the new stadium downtown and for many other reasons I drifted. 

• In the late 80's I lived 5 minutes from Silver Stadium. We got Knot Hole Club tickets and we went to many games with all four children. 
  • They were the farm team of the Baltimore Orioles and I was a fan of players, like Cal Ripken, Jr.
  • You could park a couple city blocks from the field for free, and walk with families and baseball fans safely
  • There would be an all star day annually where past Red Wings (some that were still active in MLB) that was discontinued.
  • MLB has kind of given up on Rochester, IMO

They needed a new stadium badly, but the old one was like The Rockpile - lots of sentiment. The new stadium was beautiful more expensive and parking was not free.

The kids activities replaced attending many games. We go to games occasionally, but it is not like a football tailgate

They became the farm team for the Minnesota Twins and today for the Washington Nationals, who I have no interest in. 

I basically am a diehard fan of the Buffalo Bills (since the Rockpile) and have liked the NY Yankees (since Maris and Mantle), but I only follow football and baseball. I wish I was interested in college and professional football basketball and hockey, but it is not the same excitement for me.

Edit: I do love March Madness and the World Series.

Edited by rockpile

8 hours ago, rockpile said:

I gave up on the Rochester Red Wings (AAA baseball) when they moved from Silver Stadium in the city to the new stadium downtown and for many other reasons I drifted. 

• In the late 80's I lived 5 minutes from Silver Stadium. We got Knot Hole Club tickets and we went to many games with all four children. 
  • They were the farm team of the Baltimore Orioles and I was a fan of players, like Cal Ripken, Jr.
  • You could park a couple city blocks from the field for free, and walk with families and baseball fans safely
  • There would be an all star day annually where past Red Wings (some that were still active in MLB) that was discontinued.

They needed a new stadium badly, but the old one was like The Rockpile - lots of sentiment. The new stadium was beautiful more expensive and parking was not free.

The kids activities replaced attending many games. We go to games occasionally, but it is not like a football tailgate

They became the farm team for the Minnesota Twins and today for the Washington Nationals, who I have no interest in. 

I basically am a diehard fan of the Buffalo Bills (since the Rockpile) and have liked the NY Yankees (since Maris and Mantle), but I only follow football and baseball. I wish I was interested in college and professional football basketball and hockey, but it is not the same excitement for me.

You live in Rochester and you never got into the Sabres?  I get they are a dumpster fire now but in the late 90s and 2005-2007 they were a blast to follow 

I tired of the NBA after the Magic/Bird and Jordan era’s. Slowly lost interest, and I don’t think I have watched any part of it in a couple of decades. 

I loved college basketball, but the one and done crap turned me off.  Used to still watch March Madness, but even that faded, and over the last 5-7 years gave up on it.  

The Sabres?   Followed them since they started in 70.   Split STH for about 15 years.  Finally got out of the group when Covid hit, and have not spent a penny on the team since.   Pegula has ruined the franchise, the game has changed, and the players & coaches are just bad. Plus, the game has changed.  I still tune in from year to year, but usually by Christmas, I watch anything but them. They are close to breaking my fandom completely.  😞

Edited by LabattBlue

22 hours ago, rockpile said:

I too, have many great memories of Silver Stadium...to add to yours, the annual Oriole exhibition game, which was a highlight of the summer, bat day, helmet night, and others.  Saw many great players come up and I remain an Oriole fan to this day.  Al Bumbry, Mike Flanagan, Bobby Grich, Don Baylor, Dennis Martinez, Mike Mussina, and like you mention, Cal, who spent the 1981 strike season playing at Silver.  Silver was a special place indeed. 

On 10/9/2024 at 7:04 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Yes. I am a recovering Jet Fan. I grew up in Queens and lived there for many years. I used to go to Shea Stadium and watch them. I admit that the place was a dump (it was owned ny NYC) but whatever. When they moved to New Jersey I turned my back on them. I hold no gripes against those from NJ but I am a New Yorker.

To this day they don't have their own stadium, and my thing is screw the Jets. The day they left NYC, I became a Bills fan and never looked back, nor will I ever. 

Woody Johnson tried to move them back to NYC with a stadium in Manhattan about 15-20 years ago, but it never got off the ground. I know with the lease at MetLife both the Giants and Jets had to play their 15 years when it first opened in 2008. In 2023 they could have opted out of the lease but didn't. They have that option every 5 years going forward. So, the next time will be in 2028 then 2033 and so on and so on. 

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Woody Johnson tried to move them back to NYC with a stadium in Manhattan about 15-20 years ago, but it never got off the ground. I know with the lease at MetLife both the Giants and Jets had to play their 15 years when it first opened in 2008. In 2023 they could have opted out of the lease but didn't. They have that option every 5 years going forward. So, the next time will be in 2028 then 2033 and so on and so on. 

Woody will only approve that if Rodgers is ok with living in Manhattan 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/21/2024 at 4:34 PM, Draconator said:

It wasn't the team for me, it was the owner. 

I was a diehard Oakland A's fan. Then John Fischer came in and raped the team and is moving them to a crap hole in Las Vegas. 

Some of my best memories as a sports fan were at Oakland A's games. Oakland fans are a lot like Buffalo fans. Ride and die with your team. 

What John Fischer did to the A's organization is criminal. 

You might like this.

• Thank you (+1) 1