Have you ever quit following a sports team?

Miyagi-Do Karate

I was talking to a buddy today, and we were lamenting how as kids we loved baseball, but now no longer follow it.

i was a die-hard Mets fan (would probably watch just about every game on TV), and knew everything about the Mets and MLB.

in 2002, when they threw dumb money at Mo Vaughn, decided to try to outspend the Yankees, and fired my beloved Bobby V, I basically quit following them (and baseball) cold turkey. 

Anyone else doing something similar? 

• Like (+1) 2

I grew up in New Jersey and used to like the Devils in the 90s.  It helped they were good then as well.

After Martin Brodeur retired I couldn’t tell you player on the team.  The Devils didn’t really do anything to turn me off my interest just completely faded over time.

It helped as well I used to know a fair amount of fans and went to school with them.  Today I lost touch with all those people.  

Actually ditto the NY Knicks and the Nets once they moved to Brooklyn.  

• Like (+1) 2

In a way, I have done that with the Sabres.  

They used to be my top team, even over the Bills.  I was probably known as "that Sabres guy" by acquaintances, and would watch 100% of maybe 98% of all games between about 1987 and 2015 or so.  

Present-day, I barely watch at all, a few of these seasons probably not a complete period.  I still "follow" them, as I know when their games are and if they win or lose.  I know who most of their players are.  I used to know the entire league, but now have a familiarity with about 10% of the players.  The league overall bores me for a few reasons, but mainly the irrelevancy of the Sabres. 

I actually still own Sabres ST, had cancelled around 2020, they talked me into returning, and I thought Id want to take my kids, but I dont enjoy it.  When Im there, the team is boring and I want to leave early.  I tried to cancel last year, but they trapped me on small print.  I won't make that mistake again.

This ownership has destroyed the franchise.  Once they go back to the red and black uniforms full-time, I am going to cut that thread that still binds me to the team and be gone forever.  

I actually returned to baseball big-time to fill the void.  I was way into it as a kid, and love it again.  Plus NFL and NCAA football interest me.  I have fun watching the Bandits too

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3

I have never given up on a sports team, but the Buffalo Braves gave up on me. It took decades, but I eventually gave up on an entire professional sports league. I don’t even watch the NBA Finals now, though I do still enjoy college hoops (despite the portal is testing me). 

I don’t consider moving away from WNY giving up on the Sabres. There was no way to follow them back then, and eventually I gave up on hockey entirely. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

Nope. Since childhood I have liked the Bills, Sabres, Cleveland Indians/Guardians, NY Knicks. I would say college-wise I have softened how much I have followed Syracuse football due to them falling off the map, so I just kinda follow a few teams casually, I still follow SU basketball though pretty strongly

• Like (+1) 1

As a kid I was a huge Chicago Bulls fan.  Yeah of course it was an easy time to hop on the bandwagon but I was a fanatic.  Even after Krause broke up the MJ Bulls teams I still claimed them as my team and always considered myself a Bulls fan.  They had that brief resurgence with Derrick Rose around 2010-2012 that was alot of fun.  But I have just completely lost interest in the NBA.  Even though I love the city I have no personal connections to Chicago either so I just reached a point where I was no longer a Bulls fan anymore.  But I will always have the childhood Nostalgia from the 90s Bulls.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

In a way, I have done that with the Sabres.  

Ayup.

This season will likely be the first time in over 10 years that I sit down and watch a Sabres game.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

As a kid I was a huge Chicago Bulls fan.  Yeah of course it was an easy time to hop on the bandwagon but I was a fanatic.  Even after Krause broke up the MJ Bulls teams I still claimed them as my team and always considered myself a Bulls fan.  They had that brief resurgence with Derrick Rose around 2010-2012 that was alot of fun.  But I have just completely lost interest in the NBA.  Even though I love the city I have no personal connections to Chicago either so I just reached a point where I was no longer a Bulls fan anymore.  But I will always have the childhood Nostalgia from the 90s Bulls.

I kind of wonder if that was the issue with the Mets for me. I am from WNY. Liked the Mets because they were on TV when I was a kid, but otherwise I have no connection to NYC. And being a bills fan, it’s a bit uncomfortable to root for a big market team. 

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I kind of wonder if that was the issue with the Mets for me. I am from WNY. Liked the Mets because they were on TV when I was a kid, but otherwise I have no connection to NYC. And being a bills fan, it’s a bit uncomfortable to root for a big market team. 

Almost exactly the same for me re: baseball.

Grew up in Bills country (NW Pa) and got all the Yankees games on TV during the late 70's and became a fan.

Now barely pay attention to MLB at all.

• Like (+1) 1

The only team I follow is the Bills, so nope.

But back in my college years, during March Madness, I'd follow the tournament, even though I had no clear favorite.  I just like the thought of one game and you're done, watching the lower seeds beat higher seeds, etc.  Now, not even close to what I used to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am the odd one, I followed and loved the Yankees growing up but when I moved to FL I switched to the Rays on 2007. Basically I have never been to Yankee stadium  and enjoyed going to Rays games at the Trop. As for complete dropping of league I had 6 years of NBA season tickets for Orlando Magic but now watch no NBA because the players don't care. Too many games they don't even try hard to win.

• Like (+1) 1

I kind of fell off with the Sabres after Lindy Ruff and Ted Nolan were let go back to back and Eichel turned out to be a piece of *****. Eichel's behavior was the last straw. 

Now that Ruff is back I'm willing to give them another chance. He was our last competent coach. 

I also had the Panthers as another football team I liked simply because of Cam Newton being such an exciting player. Dropped that team when Newton left.