Mayfield dropping tidbits on Tom Brady's last season - says team was 'stressed out' by him

Big Turk

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Brady's sideline blow ups are well documented. He has always appeared to be a difficult teammate. He blew up at coaches a well. When things didn't go right he devolved into a whiny brat.

But this is not new. We've all known this for forever. He is a douche, but he was a great QB and competitor. Those things sometimes go hand in hand, for some reason. There have been a lot of jerk control freaks at QB.

Yeah...look at the GOATS in basketball even like Jordan and Kobe.  

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If Josh Allen wins a SuperBowl this year and then stresses people out trying to win another sign me up!!!

…..and if he has to cheat to do so, then so be it. 🫡

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Tom Brady is arguably the most overrated player in the history of the NFL and I wouldn't even put him on my list of Top 20 qb's of all time.

There, I said it.

Flame away.

Nah man he's the greatest to ever do it. I have no shame in admitting it. He's better than Allen, Mahomes, or anyone else. He just never made any mistakes and always threw the ball to the right place. The GOAT in terms of pocket presence, reading the defense, and accuracy. Underrated arm strength too. And somehow he was playing the best football of his career in his mid-30s after tweaking his mechanics.

If this post nets me a ban I accept my punishment.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Nah man he's the greatest to ever do it. I have no shame in admitting it. He's better than Allen, Mahomes, or anyone else. He just never made any mistakes and always threw the ball to the right place. The GOAT in terms of pocket presence, reading the defense, and accuracy. Underrated arm strength too. And somehow he was playing the best football of his career in his mid-30s after tweaking his mechanics.

The cheating though… 

I’m sorry man I can’t. You can’t be a GOAT and be caught cheating multiple times. 

It seems after the Bucs Super Bowl the media blitz has been so powerful that people forgot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Newsflash - our sports heroes are self-absorbed, sociopathic jerks. If you need confirmation, go watch the Pete Rose documentary.

It comes with the territory of greatness. I would bet in his own head Tom Brady was harsher on himself than anyone else. Even Josh Allen has said in interviews that he has a lot of negative self-talk. Great people aren't really chasing greatness, they're running away from failure. It should probably be classified as a mental illness.

Whiplash is a great movie about this phenomenon, I recommend it to everyone I talk to. You don't become great without feeling totally miserable about yourself somewhere along the way, or maybe at all times.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...Mayfield dropping some info...

Says the team was stressed out by Brady the last year especially and that if he told his OC Byron Leftwich that he didn't like a play during the week and it was called in a game that he would intentionally throw the ball at the receiver's or running back's feet to show him who was in charge/in control of things and his displeasure. Also appears it might be related to Brady not respecting him enough since he was 2 years older than Leftwich.

Brady apparently isn't the squeaky clean guy the media tries to make him out to be...

Wonder how much other stuff like this goes on that you don't hear about...

Baker Mayfield suggests Tom Brady 'stressed out' team

On the podcast, Mayfield said, "The building was a little bit different with Tom in there. Obviously, playing-wise, Tom is different. He had everybody dialed in, high-strung environment, so I think everybody was pretty stressed out."

Mayfield went on to say, "You hear some of the stories about if he didn’t like a certain play call and he didn’t like it throughout the week and they still call it in the game, there might have been a throwaway on purpose or throwing it at the running back or receiver’s feet. There were a lot of mind games going on."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/buccaneers-qb-baker-mayfield-says-152739052.html

It’s obviously because Brady is such a winner and demands excellence from everyone around him 🙄

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It comes with the territory of greatness. I would bet in his own head Tom Brady was harsher on himself than anyone else. Even Josh Allen has said in interviews that he has a lot of negative self-talk. Great people aren't really chasing greatness, they're running away from failure. It should probably be classified as a mental illness.

Whiplash is a great movie about this phenomenon, I recommend it to everyone I talk to. You don't become great without feeling totally miserable about yourself somewhere along the way, or maybe at all times.

I know someone who played for Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United team pretty well. He wasn't a star in the side but played plenty of games and he always said to me the joy of winning was dwarfed by what he called the "mourning of defeat." He said they could win 10 in a row and then lose one and the one had more impact on his emotional state than the 10. That is the life a lot of pro athletes lead. Especially those playing for teams where the absolute expectation is winning. I found it myself at a lower level too. When I was a semi pro soccer coach I made my reputation by overachieving for 3 years with a team that had low expectations. There the joy of wins outstripped everything else. I then had two years at a place where the expectations were much higher and I found winning stopped being so much fun and losing on a Saturday could ruin my week. It is hard to explain the mental toll that takes after a time.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I still think Marino was the greatest passer the world’s ever seen. If given Brady’s coaching and cheating skills he would’ve won a few SBs. Those WR cores of the Dolphins were some of the worst ever for a HOF QB. People **** all over Bellichick because of his post and pre-Brady record, but he’s is just as responsible for those championships. Remember who brought in Vinatieri and built those defenses. Shutting down the greatest show on turf was no small feat. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know someone who played for Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United team pretty well. He wasn't a star in the side but played plenty of games and he always said to me the joy of winning was dwarfed by what he called the "mourning of defeat." He said they could win 10 in a row and then lose one and the one had more impact on his emotional state than the 10. That is the life a lot of pro athletes lead. Especially those playing for teams where the absolute expectation is winning. I found it myself at a lower level too. When I was a semi pro soccer coach I made my reputation by overachieving for 3 years with a team that had low expectations. There the joy of wins outstripped everything else. I then had two years at a place where the expectations were much higher and I found winning stopped being so much fun and losing on a Saturday could ruin my week. It is hard to explain the mental toll that takes after a time.

I think at a certain level it is like drug addiction. Eventually taking the drug AKA winning doesn't make you feel good, it just keeps you in a normal stasis so that you can continue to function. And then withdrawal AKA losing is like torture. Tom Brady was a junkie. And it made him the GOAT.

Edited by HappyDays

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well that is one of the more hurtful insinuations I've ever received here. :(

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol Phil Rivers...

I bet if you flip their situations that their results end up flipped as well.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

Well that is one of the more hurtful insinuations I've ever received here. :(

Not because I disagreed with a mod but because I slobbered all over our franchise's archnemesis for the greater part of the millennium 😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Seriously, who cares?  The guy is just speaking his mind on a podcast. 

And Brady's a big boy with 7 rings.  I'm sure he can take the heat and really doesn't care what Baker and a few disgruntled former teammates think.

As Patrick Roy once said about a reporter.

I can't hear him with these Stanley Cup rings in my ears. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Says the team was stressed out by Brady the last year especially and that if he told his OC Byron Leftwich that he didn't like a play during the week and it was called in a game that he would intentionally throw the ball at the receiver's or running back's feet to show him who was in charge/in control of things and his displeasure. Also appears it might be related to Brady not respecting him enough since he was 2 years older than Leftwich.

Brady apparently isn't the squeaky clean guy the media tries to make him out to be...

On the podcast, Mayfield said, "The building was a little bit different with Tom in there. Obviously, playing-wise, Tom is different. He had everybody dialed in, high-strung environment, so I think everybody was pretty stressed out."

Mayfield went on to say, "You hear some of the stories about if he didn’t like a certain play call and he didn’t like it throughout the week and they still call it in the game, there might have been a throwaway on purpose or throwing it at the running back or receiver’s feet. There were a lot of mind games going on."

Interesting,  Ya Brady seems super high strung, probably feels like walking on egg shells around him,  as a teammates

, I'd imagine 

49 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Ok, everyone, raise your hands if you wouldn't take a whiny piss a*" in Buffalo who brought us 7 rings....

crickets GIF

Well said!

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Bravo!

4 hours ago, Simon said:

20 QBs I would rather go to battle with than Tom Brady:

(in no particular order)

John Elway

Joe Montana

Steve Young

Aaron Rodgers

Pat Mahomes

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Josh Allen

Dan Marino

Jim Kelly

Ken Stabler

Johnny U

Warren Moon

Fran Tarkenton

Otto Graham

Dan Fouts

Steve McNair

Kurt Warner

Phillip Rivers

I can only come up with 19, so I guess Brady just slips into my Top 20.

Just because you hate me is no reason to disagree with me.

Drew Brees would be a nice little addition to your list to get you to 20.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

One guy has been to 10 Super Bowls and won 7…the other guy was on his last shot before he was starting in the CFL…I think Tom earned the right to call his plays 

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Drew Brees would be a nice little addition to your list to get you to 20.

Bingo!

I knew I was missing at least one really good QB.