Flashback EJ manual comeback drive

mikemac2001

• mikemac2001 changed the title to Flashback EJ manual comeback drive

I was at this game too. I was gifted the tickets at about 8:00 the night before. I scrambled around to find someone to go with. I ended up taking a very attractive former classmate. It was her first NFL game. What a finish!img_1_1726826964687.thumb.jpg.47df40d837af21dcae92e84f8f7ad9c7.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

EJ probably was never going to be good enough. But Marrone gave him Nate Hackett in his first nfl job, both the OV and QB coach. EJ never had a chance. 

Back then, we also probably would have laughed to think that the DC EJ has his best nfl start against would one day be one of the best coaches in Bills history. 

2 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I had to stop watching after 3 minutes. Every pass is 5 yards or less 

Welcome to the nfl now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Dumb. Could have traded down again and still drafted EJ

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

EJ......lol.

Picked a QB just to say we picked a QB.

Buffalo put themselves in that position by never drafting at QB until they absolutely had to. Granted, 2010 to 2015 was a rough stretch for QB draft classes, with 2012 being the only decent year, but by 2012, it was clear that Fitz was average at best. We could have drafted Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins in the mid-rounds, but instead, we traded up for T.J. Graham, who was nowhere close to being an NFL-caliber WR.

By the time 2013 came around, there was no QB on the roster after we moved on from Fitz, and we pretty much had to draft a QB. It did not help that the 2013 QB class may be one of the worst ever. Your best options that year were Geno Smith, who was seen as a bust until he resurrected his career two years ago, and Matt Barkley, who we all love but was never more than a backup.

Buffalo definitely could have got a QB later, but their strategy was sound. They traded down once, and the rest of that draft was one of their better ones in the drought era. That year, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso(Got us LeSean McCoy), Marquise Goodwin, and Dustin Hopkins were also picked. I never blamed EJ Manuel, it was just the the perfect storm of bad timing and terrible decision making in previous years.

• Like (+1) 4

My best birthday ever. 
   We came up for the weekend and the game. My wife spent Friday and Saturday with her side of the family and my 14 year old son and I fished all day, both days……and we caught.

John caught his first Pike and Smallmouths. Mid Sept and we crushed fish and I was the happiest Dad ever. Our last stream we skipped stones for about an hour.

Then we sat in the upper corner, second row , above the winning TD. My pic is from that great day.

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Buffalo put themselves in that position by never drafting at QB until they absolutely had to. Granted, 2010 to 2015 was a rough stretch for QB draft classes, with 2012 being the only decent year, but by 2012, it was clear that Fitz was average at best. We could have drafted Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins in the mid-rounds, but instead, we traded up for T.J. Graham, who was nowhere close to being an NFL-caliber WR.

By the time 2013 came around, there was no QB on the roster after we moved on from Fitz, and we pretty much had to draft a QB. It did not help that the 2013 QB class may be one of the worst ever. Your best options that year were Geno Smith, who was seen as a bust until he resurrected his career two years ago, and Matt Barkley, who we all love but was never more than a backup.

Buffalo definitely could have got a QB later, but their strategy was sound. They traded down once, and the rest of that draft was one of their better ones in the drought era. That year, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso(Got us LeSean McCoy), Marquise Goodwin, and Dustin Hopkins were also picked. I never blamed EJ Manuel, it was just the the perfect storm of bad timing and terrible decision making in previous years.

Imagine cutting Ryan Fitzpatrick, who for all his limitations gave us the best QB play we'd seen since Bledsoe, because you plan on FINALLY drafting a QB in one of the worst classes ever and are legitimately planning on him to get beat out for starter by either EJ Manuel or Geno Smith.

We ended that season with Manuel, Thad Lewis and Jeff Thuel as our quarterback room. Man those were wild times!

• Sad 1

After the very good draft of 2001, productive drafts for us were few and far between. A case can be made that our next productive draft came in 2017, and even at that McDermott traded away the pick for Mahomes. 

2009 was decent but remember, this was the year that they foolishly traded away Jason Peters, a GREAT LT.

Gilmore and Glenn were productive players in the 2012 draft, but they missed out on the QBs that were named above. Other than that, it's hard (at least for me) to find a Bills draft to get excited about pre 2017.

I don't think that many young fans know how much we suffered during the drought years. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, julian said:

I was at that game as well, I remember leaving and thinking we might have something here.

After so many years of misery (and a few more to come) I so desperately wanted to believe we had something and for that day and subsequent week I allowed myself to believe we did. That feeling ended shortly thereafter and we were back at square one

Nobody could even believe we drafted EJ that night and especially where we drafted him........it was a huge reach/gamble that never paid off for us. Draft analysts were having a field day trying to figure out what our regime was doing and as we all learned, even they didn't know what they were doing and it showed that night.

i was bored that day and went to the carolina panthers chat board and chat room. just engaging them and mocking how bad both teams can be. and i remember calling out that the bills would give up a boneheaded play and the panthers would score to think they'll win it but something stupid will happen and buffalo will back their way into a stupid win. i was making them all so mad only to be right.

panthers fans were so arrogant when they had cam newton. it is similar to bills fans who think josh is infallible.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

Imagine cutting Ryan Fitzpatrick, who for all his limitations gave us the best QB play we'd seen since Bledsoe, because you plan on FINALLY drafting a QB in one of the worst classes ever and are legitimately planning on him to get beat out for starter by either EJ Manuel or Geno Smith.

We ended that season with Manuel, Thad Lewis and Jeff Thuel as our quarterback room. Man those were wild times!

Remember regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick there was the whole prank call set up so it was not as simple as you state.

• Like (+1) 1

EJ. At the time I was happy with the selection. But I have since learned you don't trade back and select a franchise QB. If anything move up for the QB. Trading back told us everything we needed to know about EJ's talent level and if the franchise really believed in him.

Part of that run of three straight FSU starting QB's to be selected in the first round of the draft. Ponder, EJ and Crab Legs. All three busts.