[Misleading Title]

BillsSabres17

17 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

No trade. Chances are Benford or Douglas will miss a few games. Kair is the new Dane Jackson (with all the caveats).

Moreover, Devin might not be any better than less talented players who are bought into McDermott's system. 

Exactly he will have to play at some

point 

no reason to get weaker and you can never have enough DBs 

Hmm… a first round corner on a rookie contract with, at worst, upside…

Or, a guy who we could have gotten in free agency for 1 year $4M, who is a healthy scratch on a bad defensive team…

GIT ER DONE BEANE!
RUN ELAM OUT OF TOWN WHILE YOU CAN!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

26th in yards and 30th in points in 2023. 

30th in yards and 27th in points so far in 2024. 

Taking the 19 regular season games together across both only the Commanders and the Panthers are worse in points against. Nobody has given up more yards. 

At what point do we stop making excuses for them and admit they stink?

Don't forget the 32 point/426 yard beatdown TB put up on them in the playoffs last season. Playoffs are the most important games ...

• Like (+1) 1

I would not.  When he has played he has made plays.  Been a bit handsy and inconsistent as a tackler.  Those are coachable. If something happens to Douglas or Benford Im comfortable starting Elam.  Douglas is 30 on his last year of his deal.  If on a reserve role this year I would like to see how he reacts to a competition for the job next year.   Elam is in this position more of what Benford has done and not what Elam has not done. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody is going to trade for Elam unless their CB room was in a plane crash or something equally catastrophic. 

He has basically no trade value. Arguably negative value because of his 1st round contract. 

Edited by Bruffalo

1 hour ago, BillsSabres17 said:

It's now been three years since the Bills drafted Elam out of the University of Florida, and his career has been a rollercoaster.... but not a good one. In his rookie year, Elam faced struggles, had a few flashes, but was rightfully replaced by Christian Benford. Now, McDermott is clearly a wizard when dealing with defensive backs. I mean, Ja'Marcus Ingram and Cam Lewis have been above average in replacing a top 2 nickel cornerback in the NFL. Two games into his third year, Elam still can't see the field as a starter. In case of an injury, Elam is the next man up.. but at this point, hasn't McDermott shown that anyone can take that role?

I do not feel comfortable with Baylon Spector and Dorian Williams as our linebackers for the next month or so, while we wait for Bernard to recover from an injury... lets take a look at Philadelphia. Devin White was a healthy scratch last week, and it's clear Howie Roseman is trying to deal the former first round pick, who is quick, can tackle, and is a "see ball, get ball" kind of player. The Eagles are currently starting Quinyon Mitchell at CB2, a rookie, who has done well, but probably isn't someone they want to thrust into a role right away (they had to due to the Bradberry injury). 

Now my proposal, Devin White for Kaiir Elam straight up. 

We definitely lose depth at corner, but there are a few available free agents that I am sure would take a spot and be good in a depth role (CJ Henderson, Keion Crossen). This trade helps both teams, and would allow the Bills to have more experience at ILB. 

Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?

They brought in multiple corners during camp and through the draft.  None of them beat him out for a job.  If they were going to trade him, they would've done so in August when they were trimming the roster down.  If they didn't call around for him after camp, it was because they felt he was the 3rd best boundary corner.  Even trading him wouldn't have actually saved any cap space vs. keeping him.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Elam is the starting CB next season.  And this season after the next injury. 

This 100%. Knowing the Bills injury luck they'd trade Elam and lose Douglas and Benford the next game. No thank you. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Can we just forget about his draft position for a minute, and remember that Elam is a solid depth CB who knows the playbook? What's left in the cupboard if they trade him? What's the cost of bringing a new guy up to speed? It would have to be a pretty lopsided deal by a desperate NFC contender for Beane to pull the trigger on that. Odds are not good .

whenever his number has been called he has made plays.

He isn’t some terrible contract.

He stays! He’s shown he will again be ready if called upon.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

whenever his number has been called he has made plays.

He isn’t some terrible contract.

He stays! He’s shown he will again be ready if called upon.

Moving him costs 3.4M in space since you bump up the 2025 bonus.  Keeping him is 3.8M in space.  Savings would be eaten by the replacement player.  So now you're spending more in cap - the new depth would be codrington and Couch.  The new backer likely carries a higher cap hit than andreeson who you would likely cut to accommodate.  Doesn't seem to make financial sense, and you should be getting bernard back by the time the new linebacker is settling in.  

Also, i didn't see anything from spector that made it seem like he was completely overwhelmed on the field either.  3rd year on the team, good athlete, and they liked him enough to play roster games to get him on injured reserve last year.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

43 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

I'd rather hold onto Elam after seeing how injuries devastated our defense last year. 

Exactly this, what do we have in depth if one or both of our starters go down…, 

There must be a term for when fans over-value their own players. It's common in sports fandom.

It's like people who see their Honda Civic worth $1000 more than Kelly Blue Book, because it has something different.

No GM is going to see anything in Elam worth trading for.

I mean, somebody wins the PowerBall, so anything is possible, but these proposed trade threads have about the same odds. 

I hope Elam doesn’t have to play, but it would be sweet if he really balled out when he did get on the field. 

Let's package Bass, Cook and Elam.  I'm sure someone has 15 mill in cap space.  LOL.  Torrence is struggling a little, lets trade him also.  

If we haven't learned anything about the last 2 seasons is that injuries happen and often.  Why do people keep wanting to trade our depth, especially depth that knows the system.

Look who is filling in for the injuries; Cam Lewis (year 6 in the system), Ingram (year 3 in the system), Spector (year 3 in the system), Williams (year 2 in the system), even Hamlin (year 4 in the system) is starting over the finally healthy Edwards or Bishop who are both new to the system.  This is Year 3 in the system for Elam.  Right now with Lewis and Ingram playing regularly, Elam is next man up.  He isn't getting traded this season.  Different conversation next off-season.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

Devin White is a backup in PHL now and was at end of his tenure in Tampa when he lost his ILB role in Tampa's 3-4 D to KJ Britt, a 5th Rd draft pick. White has been described as a very "me" guy who doesn't fit the OBD profile.  Per reports in Tampa White liked the perks of playing in the NFL but was not in love with playing football.  Motivation a real issue.  Lost starting job to Nakobe Dean in PHL despite getting starter reps all camp.

Pass