[Misleading Title]

BillsSabres17

It's now been three years since the Bills drafted Elam out of the University of Florida, and his career has been a rollercoaster.... but not a good one. In his rookie year, Elam faced struggles, had a few flashes, but was rightfully replaced by Christian Benford. Now, McDermott is clearly a wizard when dealing with defensive backs. I mean, Ja'Marcus Ingram and Cam Lewis have been above average in replacing a top 2 nickel cornerback in the NFL. Two games into his third year, Elam still can't see the field as a starter. In case of an injury, Elam is the next man up.. but at this point, hasn't McDermott shown that anyone can take that role?

I do not feel comfortable with Baylon Spector and Dorian Williams as our linebackers for the next month or so, while we wait for Bernard to recover from an injury... lets take a look at Philadelphia. Devin White was a healthy scratch last week, and it's clear Howie Roseman is trying to deal the former first round pick, who is quick, can tackle, and is a "see ball, get ball" kind of player. The Eagles are currently starting Quinyon Mitchell at CB2, a rookie, who has done well, but probably isn't someone they want to thrust into a role right away (they had to due to the Bradberry injury). 

Now my proposal, Devin White for Kaiir Elam straight up. 

We definitely lose depth at corner, but there are a few available free agents that I am sure would take a spot and be good in a depth role (CJ Henderson, Keion Crossen). This trade helps both teams, and would allow the Bills to have more experience at ILB. 

Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

4 minutes ago, BillsSabres17 said:

It's now been three years since the Bills drafted Elam out of the University of Florida, and his career has been a rollercoaster.... but not a good one. In his rookie year, Elam faced struggles, had a few flashes, but was rightfully replaced by Christian Benford. Now, McDermott is clearly a wizard when dealing with defensive backs. I mean, Ja'Marcus Ingram and Cam Lewis have been above average in replacing a top 2 nickel cornerback in the NFL. Two games into his third year, Elam still can't see the field as a starter. In case of an injury, Elam is the next man up.. but at this point, hasn't McDermott shown that anyone can take that role?

I do not feel comfortable with Baylon Spector and Dorian Williams as our linebackers for the next month or so, while we wait for Bernard to recover from an injury... lets take a look at Philadelphia. Devin White was a healthy scratch last week, and it's clear Howie Roseman is trying to deal the former first round pick, who is quick, can tackle, and is a "see ball, get ball" kind of player. The Eagles are currently starting Quinyon Mitchell at CB2, a rookie, who has done well, but probably isn't someone they want to thrust into a role right away (they had to due to the Bradberry injury). 

We definitely lose depth at corner, but there are a few available free agents that I am sure would take a spot and be good in a depth role (CJ Henderson, Keion Crossen). This trade helps both teams, and would allow the Bills to have more experience at ILB. 

Beane, is that you?!?.....

• Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, BillsSabres17 said:

Beane will make a move if feels it's warranted, look no further than acquiring Douglas and Hines. I think we're just go to see how next few weeks go before jumping om making a move for making a move sake. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can we just forget about his draft position for a minute, and remember that Elam is a solid depth CB who knows the playbook? What's left in the cupboard if they trade him? What's the cost of bringing a new guy up to speed? It would have to be a pretty lopsided deal by a desperate NFC contender for Beane to pull the trigger on that. Odds are not good .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

For a 7th rounder two drafts out? What's the point? At a minimum he's depth with familiarity with the system who has played somewhat decent when he's been called on. It sucks he's a first rounder and isn't an all pro but it happens.

Edited by pigpen65
  • Agree 4

Just now, eball said:

By all accounts Elam is just a victim of the numbers game right now, but do we really want to lose that depth?  Injuries to CBs are pretty common.

Hard to fault Elam for being behind 2 guys playing at a very high level.  I get the draft slots of him and Benford feel like the roles should be reversed, but draft slot means nothing once you step on the field and Benford is playing great right now.  

While I would not be surprised if they traded Elam (nor surprised to see him go on to be a good player somewhere), I would think they would be reluctant during the season to get thinner at another position on D while we have already seen so many injuries on that side of the ball unless Beane got an offer to good to not take.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

White is a healthy scratch on the worst defense in football and you think he will help us how exactly?

Calling the Eagles the "worst defense in football" is a major stretch, how will he help us? Spector would be on at least 24 teams practice squads, let alone starting. Lot of Eagles fans want White in instead of Dean, but the writing appears to be on the wall for him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 5

9 minutes ago, eball said:

By all accounts Elam is just a victim of the numbers game right now, but do we really want to lose that depth?  Injuries to CBs are pretty common.

I agree. If anything we need Elam in case an injury occurs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I agree. If anything we need Elam in case an injury occurs.

Exactly....why give up good depth for no reason......you have to look no further than the injury situation the Bills are dealing with at LB right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsSabres17 said:

Calling the Eagles the "worst defense in football" is a major stretch, how will he help us? Spector would be on at least 24 teams practice squads, let alone starting. Lot of Eagles fans want White in instead of Dean, but the writing appears to be on the wall for him

26th in yards and 30th in points in 2023. 

30th in yards and 27th in points so far in 2024. 

Taking the 19 regular season games together across both only the Commanders and the Panthers are worse in points against. Nobody has given up more yards. 

At what point do we stop making excuses for them and admit they stink?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2