Josh Allen, committed singles hitter (The Athletic)

dave mcbride

51 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

you misunderstand my argument

that the offense can 'struggle' and still put up 36pts and over 400 yards is testament to the idea that big plays help mitigate variance

and again...you make my point for me. the shot to diggs if completed likely wins the game. if the throw to shakir is completed you likely win the game. we need to stop being so results oriented and realize you need more of those plays, not fewer

Relying on the big play is what got us sent home multiple times, caused mid season slumps for 3 consecutive years, etc.  

Meanwhile Pats and Chiefs have built dynasties doing the opposite.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is why for the last two seasons I have been banging the drum that we need guys that can get good YAC.  We never had any. Dink and dunk offense is fine if you have guys that can do that.  Not so much if you have guys catch the ball and only get a couple yards. There is less room for error when you are playing this way. It leads to a lot of 3rd and long plays and thats where it leads to mistakes, being short of sticks, sacks, fumbles, ints, etc.

I like the offense thus far except never taking that shot on 2nd and 1.  Also could mix it up more on first downs.  I do think the Bills will eventually run into some teams that this just doesnt work on.  The run game will get stuffed.  I hope we still have the ability to open it up when that happens.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Relying on the big play is what got us sent home multiple times, caused mid season slumps for 3 consecutive years, etc.  

I vaguely recall that's how Brady and the Pats would beat us, little 3-5 yard passes and runs to get down the field with a big play thrown in there from time to time.  

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Which has been dropping since the Cover 2 shells have become more the norm.

Mahomes through 2 games has an 8.3 ypa this season. That's in-line with previous seasons save for 2023

And one thing I've learned here is you can draw conclusions after 2 games.  ;) 

22 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Mahomes through 2 games has an 8.3 ypa this season. That's in-line with previous seasons save for 2023

And one thing I've learned here is you can draw conclusions after 2 games.  ;) 

basing these very speculative assumptions on 2 games (which i have to assume they are) when Allen is actually throwing for career highs in both ypa and ANY/A lol

What was interesting to me is that McD chose to convey the singles story to Allen which supports the idea, promoted by some here, that McD wants Allen to change.  He's clearly asking Allen to be happy with singles and not swing for the fences so much. 

Which is probably the same thing Kurt Warner and Tom Brady would tell him, based on their public comments.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Patriots also had Welker, Edelman, Gronk, etc who were guaranteed first downs on third down. Brady often threw to wide open guys or guys who could simply out muscle people (Gronk) who never really dropped passes. 

I'm still waiting to see Bills receivers be that automatic on third down. Shakir is starting to look like that. That catch while getting cheap shotted in a crowd by Poyer was amazing. Kincaid has shown flashes. Kincaid and Coleman need to step up to be that. 

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

What was interesting to me is that McD chose to convey the singles story to Allen which supports the idea, promoted by some here, that McD wants Allen to change.  He's clearly asking Allen to be happy with singles and not swing for the fences so much. 

Which is probably the same thing Kurt Warner and Tom Brady would tell him, based on their public comments.  

Kurt warner has one of the highest YPA of all time

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That is 'cos Kurt shoulders up is one of the best Quarterbacks to have played. He never threw a beautiful spiral. He never had a great arm. But he knew how to play.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is 'cos Kurt shoulders up is one of the best Quarterbacks to have played. He never threw a beautiful spiral. He never had a great arm. But he knew how to play.

He was also throwing to probably the greatest collection of offensive talent ever assembled

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, that's true.  And Kurt has said that Allen needs to get the ball out on schedule to whoever the play was designed for instead of waiting for a bigger play downfield.  

This is one of the things that made Kurt successful.  He intelligently took what was given.  Sometimes that was the long ball.  But if the play was designed to go underneath, or if the D took the long ball away, he happily threw the short stuff.  

Efficiency and YAC, more than air yards, will earn you a good YPA.   That's why Josh is at 8.8 yards per attempt this season versus  his career mark of 7.2 (and better than Warner's career mark of 7.9).  

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yes, that's true.  And Kurt has said that Allen needs to get the ball out on schedule to whoever the play was designed for instead of waiting for a bigger play downfield.  

This is one of the things that made Kurt successful.  He intelligently took what was given.  Sometimes that was the long ball.  But if the play was designed to go underneath, or if the D took the long ball away, he happily threw the short stuff.  

Efficiency and YAC, more than air yards, will earn you a good YPA.   That's why Josh is at 8.8 yards per attempt this season versus  his career mark of 7.2 (and better than Warner's career mark of 7.9).  

Allen's at 4.7 air yards/attempt thus far 2024

he was at 4.4 in 2023

im not bringing these stats up to be argumentative. all im saying is there isn't much evidence for this huge overhaul of the offense into some short pass efficiency machine...fwiw through two games Allen is 12th in passes that travel 10+yards and 30th in attempts.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This right here ^^^

its not that you don’t throw some long balls, you just have to realize that those are low completion percentage plays, if you can’t run the ball when you want to, and hit the chain moving passes you’re gonna struggle against the better teams come the playoffs, is what it is.  Like it or not. 

• Agree 1