MENU -- Jags in Buffalo Monday Night September 23rd -- JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS -- What's on Your Plate?

HIT BY SPIKES

It is a night game so a slow smoke works well timing wise.

I have never been to Jacksonville so I am unfamiliar what the city's signature cuisine is.

I can't really source alligator up here and if I find it the quality won't be good.  Certainly NOT fresh.

Thoughts?

Camel Riders sounds interesting and certainly easy to source all the ingredients in the Arab Community here in my city...

Jacksonville's 6 most distinctive foods

From neighborhood joints to gourmet cuisine to home-cooked specialties, Jacksonville has no shortage of great food. Here's a look at six of the most distinctive foods to come out of the First Coast.

Camel riders

Camel riders are Jacksonville’s signature sandwich, and probably the city’s single most distinctive food. A creation of Jacksonville’s large and vibrant Arab American community, camel riders are a pita stuffed with ham, salami, bologna and sandwich fixings, the perfect cheap, tasty meal for working people on the go.

Jacksonville’s Arab community dates back to the 1890s, and has been influential in all parts of life, from business to politics to healthcare, but Arabs have been especially influential in the local food and restaurant scene. The camel rider’s origin is debated, but it’s often traced to Joe Assi, a Lebanese-born baker who owned the Gold Room restaurant in the early 1960s. Assi started selling a cold-cuts sandwich in pita bread that he ultimately named the “desert rider.” By the mid-1970s, riders had spread across Jacksonville at eateries like the Sheik, Desert Rider and Pinegrove Market and Deli.

The spread of riders has led to the creation of several variations, of which the most popular include the veggie rider, the steak-in-a-sack and my personal favorite, the garlic shrimp rider. While riders can be found in some other cities, only Jacksonville can boast them in concentration; today the city is home to at least 50 eateries that serve them. Riders are a true Jacksonville culinary staple and one of the many legacies of the city’s thriving Arab American community....

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonvilles-6-most-distinctive-foods/

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Camel Riders sounds interesting and certainly easy to source all the ingredients in the Arab Community here in my city...

Jacksonville's 6 most distinctive foods

From neighborhood joints to gourmet cuisine to home-cooked specialties, Jacksonville has no shortage of great food. Here's a look at six of the most distinctive foods to come out of the First Coast.

Camel riders

Camel riders are Jacksonville’s signature sandwich, and probably the city’s single most distinctive food. A creation of Jacksonville’s large and vibrant Arab American community, camel riders are a pita stuffed with ham, salami, bologna and sandwich fixings, the perfect cheap, tasty meal for working people on the go.

Jacksonville’s Arab community dates back to the 1890s, and has been influential in all parts of life, from business to politics to healthcare, but Arabs have been especially influential in the local food and restaurant scene. The camel rider’s origin is debated, but it’s often traced to Joe Assi, a Lebanese-born baker who owned the Gold Room restaurant in the early 1960s. Assi started selling a cold-cuts sandwich in pita bread that he ultimately named the “desert rider.” By the mid-1970s, riders had spread across Jacksonville at eateries like the Sheik, Desert Rider and Pinegrove Market and Deli.

The spread of riders has led to the creation of several variations, of which the most popular include the veggie rider, the steak-in-a-sack and my personal favorite, the garlic shrimp rider. While riders can be found in some other cities, only Jacksonville can boast them in concentration; today the city is home to at least 50 eateries that serve them. Riders are a true Jacksonville culinary staple and one of the many legacies of the city’s thriving Arab American community....

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonvilles-6-most-distinctive-foods/

Perhaps I will do something inspired by these...with a WNY twist. Subs from Wegmans it is😂

• Like (+1) 1

This kind of a loaded question for me.......

* If my wife is in a good mood, i'm eating whatever she makes

* if my wife is in a bad mood, i'm eating whatever I make

So, i won't know what i'm eating until i walk in the door from work......and then it's anybody's guess from that point.

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Nice! Do you like it out in Japan? It was like 10 years ago for me when I was in the service but I loved it there. 

I love it.  I am very grateful for my time out here.  I should be back stateside for good in the spring, which will be nice.  My wife and I had a baby boy last year and he hasn't met his cousins or grandparents yet.  It will be nice to be back closer to family.  Japan is awesome though.