Why not trade for a dependable kicker?

9 hours ago, QB Bills said:

This isn't the dumb idea most of you are making it out to be. Half the replies are that good kickers are too valuable while the other half is saying the opposite. So perhaps op is on to something?

Sorry, it really is.  

1) No team thinks they're "out of it" week 2.  Do you think the Rams are throwing in the towel?  The Bengals?  The Ravens?
2) Even if they know they're rebuilding and they don't have much shot this season, good kickers stay with teams multiple seasons, so the kicker is typically part of a plan for the future if he's good

3) If you pay cursory attention to the Giants because Daboll, they're 0-2 right now and he got thoroughly roasted in the press this week for not taking better care of his kicker situation, even though Daboll didn't tell his kicker to mess up his hammies in a desperate attempt to save a TD.  No FO wants to give the press and fans (and owner) low-hanging fruit to attack their decision making by putting themselves in that situation.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

People thought I was nuts for how much I valued kickers. Now it’s our biggest weakness 

No.  It really isn't.  

Edited by Beck Water

Everyone has already roasted the OP enough, but...

No teams trade away dependable kickers. None. It never happens.

Can you remember the last time you saw a GOOD, DEPENDABLE kicker traded to a different team? A fringe roster guy at the end of camp or preseason, sure. But do you EVER remember seeing a team trade a good kicker to another team in the middle of the season? Why would a team do that?

Good, dependable kickers are like gold. Teams don't trade them away, even for 4ths.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Exactly, Albany.  Teams only have one and no team wants to move on from their dependable kicker.  It’s just not going to happen.  We can workout guys who are not active, and we can also draft one next year, but for the most part we’re stuck with Bass.  What I don’t know is if the team strongly recommended he sees a sports psychologist regularly so he clear out the cobwebs and regain his confidence.  He has the leg, but the problem is between his ears.

We may or may not be stuck with Bass.  If he gets really bad (and I don't think one bad kick so far qualifies) they'll have no choice but to replace him.  Now, in season, they'll have to settle for someone not good enough to make an opening day roster, but if Bass goes bad, they'll have no choice.  

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We may or may not be stuck with Bass.  If he gets really bad (and I don't think one bad kick so far qualifies) they'll have no choice but to replace him.  Now, in season, they'll have to settle for someone not good enough to make an opening day roster, but if Bass goes bad, they'll have no choice.  

Why wait and throw away a game?  Bass should be having weekly competitions in practice with free agent kickers.  May the best man win.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sorry, it really is.  

1) No team thinks they're "out of it" week 2.  Do you think the Rams are throwing in the towel?  The Bengals?  The Ravens?
2) Even if they know they're rebuilding and they don't have much shot this season, good kickers stay with teams multiple seasons, so the kicker is typically part of a plan for the future if he's good

3) If you pay cursory attention to the Giants because Daboll, they're 0-2 right now and he got thoroughly roasted in the press this week for not taking better care of his kicker situation, even though Daboll didn't tell his kicker to mess up his hammies in a desperate attempt to save a TD.  No FO wants to give the press and fans (and owner) low-hanging fruit to attack their decision making by putting themselves in that situation.

No.  It really isn't.  

1. Who is saying to do this now? Obviously the op meant later in the season when some teams are out of the race

2. In the famous words of Ted DiBiase, everyone's got a price.

3. Who cares?

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why wait and throw away a game?  Bass should be having weekly competitions in practice with free agent kickers.  May the best man win.  

You can't tell me there aren't a handful of PS or FA kickers like Coghlin/Szmyt that couldn't outperform Bass. McDermott must be terrified to even use him beyond 40 yards.

Pre the 2023 season 3 long time veteran kickers were traded in late August.  Will Lutz, Nick Folk and Dustin Hopkins all changed teams.  Lutz and Folk each were traded for a 7th rd pick.  In all three cases the acquiring team didn’t have an established kicker on the roster.  

In my quick search I couldn’t find an in-season trade for a kicker.  

Obviously kicker trades happen, but the Bills aren’t moving on from Bass this season and taking a 7 mill cap hit.  I guess McD will just have to be more aggressive on 4th and short and get Josh to pass to Cookie for more touchdowns.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Pre the 2023 season 3 long time veteran kickers were traded in late August.  Will Lutz, Nick Folk and Dustin Hopkins all changed teams.  Lutz and Folk each were traded for a 7th rd pick.  In all three cases the acquiring team didn’t have an established kicker on the roster.  

In my quick search I couldn’t find an in-season trade for a kicker.  

Obviously kicker trades happen, but the Bills aren’t moving on from Bass this season and taking a 7 mill cap hit.  I guess McD will just have to be more aggressive on 4th and short and get Josh to pass to Cookie for more touchdowns.  

We better make sure we're inside the 25 if we want any chance at a game winning fg.

It looks like Bean has done another wiff her, approaching the miss of Von Miller signing.  Bass not worth the money Bean just paid him.  I admit, didn't see this coming.  Bass has lost capability since earlier years.  This is a question of being in love w your own draft choices.  I wonder if anybody else in the league would have given Bass that contract.  Bean needed to let him walk, but paid him instead.

Just now, bigK14094 said:

It looks like Bean has done another wiff here, approaching the miss of Von Miller signing.  Bass not worth the money Bean just paid him.  I admit, didn't see this coming.  Bass has lost capability since earlier years.  This is a question of being in love w your own draft choices.  I wonder if anybody else in the league would have given Bass that contract.  Bean needed to let him walk, but paid him instead.

16 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Why not trade Bass and a pick to a team that has no chance at making the playoffs this year but has a good kicker. I have zero issues sending even as high as a 5th or 4th rounder or even higher if they take Bass and his contract. There has to be a team that has a good kicker but would rather have a pick to build up their team knowing a good kicker is waaaaay down on their priority list. 

Another same old boring topic from a person with a scant amount of posts who doesn't respond to any replies or does any type of follow up to their original post.

NEXT!!!

Edited by Mark Vader