Why not trade for a dependable kicker?

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just sign Matt Coghlin after this season...problem solved, no trade needed. Release Bass and eat his 3M dead cap.

It would be 7.4M dead cap.  They might be able to spread it over into next year but they don't have cap to give unless they redo more contracts.  Also, the new kicker just adds tot he cap.  The contract makes it a tricky thing....

Kicking is 90% mental.  There’s no magic formula finding one.  You gotta get lucky finding one who’s in the right mental state.  Sticking with Bass at this point without kicking the tires on replacements is negligence.  Bass will 100% cost us games this year.  

He's 8 for 8 on extra points and 3 for 4 on field goals in 2024.

Something mechanically went wrong on the missed kick. Was it bad hold? Did his foot slip. Lost concentration? 

I don't know.

What I do know is that he's nailed 11 out of the 12 place kicks he's been counted on to make and half the people in this forum have already pressed the panic button. Really?

If misses on relatively 'easy' kicks becomes a trend over the course of several games, then it may be time to be concerned. Not yet..

The idea that they can just go out and find a kicker on the street or trade for a better one is idiotic.  If there were a better one, he'd be wearing a jersey this weekend.

Next topic.

Edited by SoMAn
misspelling

I’d give him a few more weeks before hitting the panic button, but he has had some gaffes.

- Missed FG vs Miami

- Kickoff out of bounds vs Arizona

- Kickoff return for a TD vs Arizona where I’m pretty sure he was trying to kick a touchback but didn’t have the leg.

Wouldn't it be a great movie if one of us just dedicated our next year to kicking.  Like become obsessed with it like David Goggins workout level obsessed.

One of us on this board might be the Bills FG kicker by this time next year....who can stay committed?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

12 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Bass hate runs deep at TBD....

TBD just loves someone to harp on endlessly, it’s some Freudian stuff for sure 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Why not trade Bass and a pick to a team that has no chance at making the playoffs this year but has a good kicker. I have zero issues sending even as high as a 5th or 4th rounder or even higher if they take Bass and his contract. There has to be a team that has a good kicker but would rather have a pick to build up their team knowing a good kicker is waaaaay down on their priority list. 

Your one of the fire McD guys aren't you ? It's the second game & he's missed 1 kick and that one looked as if it was hit by a defensive player and your ready to throw him to the curb and give up draft capital in doing so when 4th & 5th round picks have been some of this FO best picks in the draft  🤔 ??????

21 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I’d give him a few more weeks before hitting the panic button, but he has had some gaffes.

- Missed FG vs Miami

- Kickoff out of bounds vs Arizona

- Kickoff return for a TD vs Arizona where I’m pretty sure he was trying to kick a touchback but didn’t have the leg.

I don't think any kicks into that end were touchbacks, and buffalo's long return in the game was similarly a kick deep attempt.  Seems like if you are going to kick it in play you don't want a high kick since you cannot run until the receiver catches it, and you're better off trying to knuckle it into the landing zone where you can run as soon as the ball touches the ground.  

In any case - Bass and Smiley need to come up with a better strategy because its not going to get easier to kick touchbacks in buffalo as the season goes on.  I don't look at his number last year and say "oh he doesn't have the leg" because under previous rules buffalo kicked short of the end zone intentionally.   

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

People thought I was nuts for how much I valued kickers. Now it’s our biggest weakness 

The thing with Bass is his approach is so different than most kickers as most kickers come in from the side and then kick the ball, Bass just runs straight ahead not sure if that is fixable or even would help him out any. He clearly has the leg strength it's just his kicks from longer distances always seem to be moving sideways towards the goalposts and not inwards into the posts. 

14 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There has to be a team that has a good kicker but would rather have a pick to build up their team knowing a good kicker is waaaaay down on their priority list.

There's the fallacy...

There probably is not a team in the situation/mindset you are looking for. Teams that are not in the hunt for the playoffs are at least in the hunt to improve their record and be competitive--they want a good kicker on their roster.

I'm not aware of any team that has thrown in the towel to do a full rebuilding.

I'm sure if they could they would, man kickers like Butker and Tucker are massive weapons, thought Bass was headed to that elite status but he definitely fell off a cliff and we can't afford these misses, it killed us last year and will continue to kill us, so many games,  especially in the playoffs come down to the K.

On a brighter note, he showed he can be elite, he has it in him, just have to hope he can get back to that level.. He's def capable, when he signed the extension,  I loved it, thought he was one of the best in the game