Realistically, How many million $ do you really need?

Mike in Horseheads

With Adrian Wojnarowski walking away from $21 m dollars (3yrs/7m) today to home and work at St Bonaventure it made me think how many million do you really need? 

Throw me 1m and I'd be happy.

EDIT:  I realize now its not the same situation for everybody.  A lot depends on age, kids, locations and other variables.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

I can personally attest that happiness is far more important than money. My happiest working years were my very happiest years. The kids were great, we were just fine, etc.

Thank God the wife was far more practical. 

• Like (+1) 2

You can get by comfortably with $1 to 2 million in retirement investments, which is continually earning as most is in stocks. First use Social Security to pay the monthly bills, and just take out what you need to cover the difference and for additional expenses like vacations.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A lot of millions.  Generational wealth is pretty cool.  

The average is three generations before they piss it all away I think. There are seriously studies on that. 

Just now, Augie said:

The average is three generations before they piss it all away I think. There are seriously studies on that. 

That’s probably true.  I would feel really good, however, knowing that no one I love would ever have to worry about money ever again.  I also would be thrilled to know that my children, grandkids, and great grandchildren would all be set for life.  🤷🏾‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That’s probably true.  I would feel really good, however, knowing that no one I love would ever have to worry about money ever again.  I also would be thrilled to know that my children, grandkids, and great grandchildren would all be set for life.  🤷🏾‍♂️

That is so true, and beautiful. 

Pro Tip: Do NOT adopt Mike Tyson. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think for this household (2 adults, no kids, 3.5 furry boys) $5 million is somewhere close to the figure where I would consider going part time at work for the next 10 to 15 years and retiring early.  

I’m sorry, but what is a half of a furry boy? Or should I not ask? If you don’t know…… 

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

With Adrian Wojnarowski walking away from $21 m dollars (3yrs/7m) today to home and work at St Bonaventure it made me think how many million do you really need? 

Throw me 1m and I'd be happy.

EDIT:  I realize now its not the same situation for everybody.  A lot depends on age, kids, locations and other variables.

Depends on what he's getting from Bona.  Probably not 21M, but if handling NILs and fundraising is part of his gig a percentage of fund raising could be part of the deal.

$10 million.

No, I'm not being greedy. Enough to enjoy retirement, travel some before I get old, give my kids some help when they need it (down payments on a home). 

At that point I'd be done. 

I really don't understand the need some people feel to turn $10 million into 20 or even 100. At that point it's just an obsession about money rather than making sure you have no financial worries forever.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Does that mean if there is not three generations past you then it will not be wasted.

I have no expectations of my daughter ever having children nor have hands on access to our asset getting what she needs via trust laywer.

I was thinking when we get elderly enough for home care needed about adopting home care aid.