Fumble Question

AtlBills

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Google Holy Roller play and read all about how the rules were changed to what they are now

Most hilarious play in the history of the league.   Rolling rolling holding the ball….no one open.   Ef it I’ll roll it and see what happens. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Trying to google, but it might do with where the ball is recovered. As in, the fumbling team gets the ball where the 2nd player original recovers it, not back at the spot of the fumble. The recovering player can not run and advance it. But since they recovered it in the end zone its a TD.

I'm mostly pulling that out of bad memory and my butt. But it sounds right to me, and if I believe it, it's true.

edit:

I was wrong, @zow2 was right

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/fumbling-in-the-end-zone/

In American football the offense cannot advance the ball if it recovers its own fumble on fourth down, or in the last two minutes of a half, unless the ball is recovered by the fumbler.

Any player of either team may recover or catch a fumble and advance, either before or after the ball strikes the ground.

So this was actually a point of contention in the Dallas game where Josh recovered a botched snap on 4th down and "out-aggressived" the entire Dallas front 7 to gain the 1st down.  Dallas was all fluffed up that it was a fumble, but technically the snap is considered a backward pass, so Buffalo converted the 1st down.

I'll take a contrary position.  I think fumbles can be an exciting part of football.  Whether it is advanced by the offense or recovered and returned by the defense, it is a big play.  I like big plays.  The Holy Roller play was a bit excessive, but it was a big play at the time and is still talked about decades later.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Yeah, he had a remarkably clumsy spell there, for yards and yards……

EDIT: I just watched it again and it was even more ridiculous than I remembered! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=holy+roller+dave+casper&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#

I remember the replay commentary when they showed it on the highlights they said something like the officials saying to Madden, yeah you won get your fat butt off the field lol. 

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Yeah, he had a remarkably clumsy spell there, for yards and yards……

EDIT: I just watched it again and it was even more ridiculous than I remembered! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=holy+roller+dave+casper&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#

Really ridiculous but how is Stabler’s action not ruled a forward pass?

17 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I agree. I reconsidered after posting and fully agree with your position. You should never gain as a result of a fumble.

This discussion gives me flashback nausea to the plays of Earnest Byner (1984) and Bobby Jones (1981) against the Bills.