Fumble Question

AtlBills

Watching the highlights of the Arizona Cards game this weekend, there was a play where a Card receiver was tackled on the 3 yd line, fumbled forward into the end zone  was recovered by another Card player and was ruled a TD. I thought if you fumbled the ball forward, only the player who fumbled the ball could recover it, did the rule change?

1 minute ago, AtlBills said:

Watching the highlights of the Arizona Cards game this weekend, there was a play where a Card receiver was tackled on the 3 yd line, fumbled forward into the end zone  was recovered by another Card player and was ruled a TD. I thought if you fumbled the ball forward, only the player who fumbled the ball could recover it, did the rule change?

I think it has to do within the final couple minutes of a game.  It's so players can't purposely throw "fumble" the ball into the end zone while being tackled so a teammate can recover and win it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Trying to google, but it might do with where the ball is recovered. As in, the fumbling team gets the ball where the 2nd player original recovers it, not back at the spot of the fumble. The recovering player can not run and advance it. But since they recovered it in the end zone its a TD.

I'm mostly pulling that out of bad memory and my butt. But it sounds right to me, and if I believe it, it's true.

edit:

I was wrong, @zow2 was right

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/fumbling-in-the-end-zone/

In American football the offense cannot advance the ball if it recovers its own fumble on fourth down, or in the last two minutes of a half, unless the ball is recovered by the fumbler.

Any player of either team may recover or catch a fumble and advance, either before or after the ball strikes the ground.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, AtlBills said:

Only under 2 mins.  

You can’t ever intentionally fumble forward or intentionally bat the ball in any direction with any part of the body right?

Also, you can’t advance a fumble at all in the last two minutes or on 4th down and if it’s fumbled forward and recovered there, the ball comes back to the spot of the fumble…like a muffed punt

thats why on last minute hook an lateral type plays, if the ball bounces at all the game is over I believe. 

2 hours ago, AtlBills said:

It's only within the last 2 minutes of the half to prevent an intentional play like the "Holy Roller" that the Raiders won on from happening again and on 4th downs.

"Fourth down or last two minutes

If the offense fumbles the ball forward on fourth down or in the last two minutes of a half, only the fumbling player can recover the ball and advance."

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

Dave Casper! 

Yeah, he had a remarkably clumsy spell there, for yards and yards……

EDIT: I just watched it again and it was even more ridiculous than I remembered! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=holy+roller+dave+casper&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

Personally I think fumbles recovered by the offense should be placed where the fumble occurred(unless the fumbler recovers it), it should never be an advantage to fumble the ball imo.

Edited by Turk71
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yeah, he had a remarkably clumsy spell there, for yards and yards……

EDIT: I just watched it again and it was even more ridiculous than I remembered! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=holy+roller+dave+casper&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#

Also one of the all-time Classic PBP moments after the game ended:

"Madden is on the field...

He wants to know if it's real...

They said 'Yes!'

Get your big butt outta here!

He does!

There's nothing real in the world anymore!"

😂😂😂

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Personally I think fumbles recovered by the offense should be placed where the fumble occurred(unless the fumbler recovers it), it should never be an advantage to fumble the ball imo.

I agree with you.  I will take it one step further.   Even if the fumbler recovers his own fumble I think it should also be placed at the spot of the fumble.  Even if the fumbler gets to his feet untouched and can advance the ball.   Play is dead as soon as the offense gets possession of the ball, no matter who it is, at the spot of the fumble. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I agree with you.  I will take it one step further.   Even if the fumbler recovers his own fumble I think it should also be placed at the spot of the fumble.  Even if the fumbler gets to his feet untouched and can advance the ball.   Play is dead as soon as the offense gets possession of the ball, no matter who it is, at the spot of the fumble. 

I agree. I reconsidered after posting and fully agree with your position. You should never gain as a result of a fumble.

20 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Would that include a botched snap fumble where Josh took it  into the end zone against the Lions  on Thanksgiving a couple years back?

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Can't wait for the replay or challenge.

When did he actually lose control of the ball. What do you think Gene?

27 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Would that include a botched snap fumble where Josh took it  into the end zone against the Lions  on Thanksgiving a couple years back?

Botched snaps and handoffs would not be included because the rule would only apply if fumbler had full possession before he fumbled.