OT: Bonnie's hire Yahoo Sports writer Adrian Wojanowski as new GM

Big Turk

Seriously? Do people not learn from other instances of hiring random sports reporters to either be the coach or GM?

Jeff Saturday with the Colts?

Mike Mayock with the Raiders?

Just because he went to Bonaventure and graduated doesn't make him fit to run the basketball operations.

Mind boggling.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-insider-adrian-wojnarowski-leaving-espn-to-take-over-as-gm-of-st-bonaventures-mens-basketball-team-150237562.html

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Seriously? Do people not learn from other instances of hiring random sports reporters to either be the coach or GM?

Jeff Saturday with the Colts?

Mike Mayock with the Raiders?

Just because he went to Bonaventure and graduated doesn't make him fit to run the basketball operations.

Mind boggling.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-insider-adrian-wojnarowski-leaving-espn-to-take-over-as-gm-of-st-bonaventures-mens-basketball-team-150237562.html

This has to be a joke post. Apples and Zebras. Saturday was the head coach and Mayock was GM of NFL franchises. Directly responsible for roster construction and on field performance week to week. 

Woj will be neither. I am quite sure his role will be centered around the NIL and making his beloved alma mater competitive in that arena despite having one of the smallest athletic budgets in Division I, bringing to bear his considerable connections to create opportunities for the players, both now and for future recruits. It is an absolutely brilliant move that is only possible with a school like SBU that develops lifelong love affairs with a significant percentage of its alumni.

Could not be more excited about it.

Edited by BarkLessWagMore
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

This has to be a joke post. Apples and Zebras. Saturday was the head coach and Mayock was GM of NFL franchises. Directly responsible for roster construction and on field performance week to week. 

Woj will be neither. I am quite sure his role will be centered around the NIL and making his beloved alma mater competitive in that arena despite having one of the smallest athletic budgets in Division I, bringing to bear his considerable connections to create opportunities for the players, both now and for future recruits. It is an absolutely brilliant move that is only possible with a school like SBU that develops lifelong love affairs with a significant percentage of its alumni.

Yeah, he’s not coaching an NFL team or running their draft. He’s taking a mostly administrative type of role at his Alma mater. I don’t know what that role entails or how qualified it is, but it’s St Bonaventure, not the NFL.

I wonder if he was going to be one more cut at ESPN and he found another path. He’s probably as qualified as anyone to handle NIL and portal issues, since it’s not like other people have been doing this for decades. It’s a new frontier, and I’ll wish him well. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

Bonaventures actually has a pretty decent basketball budget it is nowhere near one of the smallest out of 360 division 1 schools 

For example they're their basketball budget last year was over 4 million dollars 

Niagara on the other hand was just over 1 million 

Niagara has one of the smallest budgets in the country, Bonnie's is 4x as much

The A10 has the biggest basketball budgets outside of the power four conferences and the Big East

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

He grew up in the area 2 miles from the campus, is a alum there and has been a big supporter.  He's 55 and said I've made enough I'm going home. Good for him

I heard on Dan Patrick this morning his contract was for $7 MIL/year and he had 3 years left. How many years had be been making that kind of coin? The guy can afford to do anything he wants at this point in his life. He can afford to make “only” about $70k/yr now. Good for him! I think it’s awesome! 

• Agree 1

From todays Athletic....   

On Wednesday, he put out a statement on X that harkened back to those award-winning general sports columnist days at the Record.

Wojnarowski wrote, “Time isn’t in endless supply and I want to spend mine in ways that are more personally meaningful.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

From todays Athletic....   

On Wednesday, he put out a statement on X that harkened back to those award-winning general sports columnist days at the Record.

Wojnarowski wrote, “Time isn’t in endless supply and I want to spend mine in ways that are more personally meaningful.”

I will quote that because, well, I can. 

I used to see him pop up on TV in various places annoying me with NBA news (I loved the Braves, but don’t even watch the Finals now). He seemed fine, but I just wasn’t interested in his content.

I am now a huge fan of this man. Enjoy the new gig, and the new life, sir! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I will quote that because, well, I can. 

I used to see him pop up on TV in various places annoying me with NBA news (I loved the Braves, but don’t even watch the Finals now). He seemed fine, but I just wasn’t interested in his content.

I am now a huge fan of this man. Enjoy the new gig, and the new life, sir! 

I think that is a great quote and so true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1